A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Default dashboard display?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Default dashboard display?

I'm still getting used to our new 2017 A4 (replacing a 2004 A4), and have a hopefully quick question about the default dashboard display.

We have the standard display (not the Virtual Dashboard). Somehow, I've managed to set it so that when the car starts up, it starts on the range remaining. It used to be that when it started up, it would be in whatever mode was there when it was last shut off (e.g. date/time, speedometer, energy consumption, etc.) Does anyone know a way to change it back? Or change what the default is? I wasn't able to find an answer in a quick look in the manual.

From looking at the forums, I see that I'm not the only person with a problem with Carplay disconnecting when the backup camera is used. I seems to happen when I first start the car and move, and not later, but this may be just what I'm doing. I've discovered disconnecting it through the connection manager and then reconnecting gets it back on. Hopefully there will be an update at some point that solves this.

These are little things, so far, we're still learning about the car, and seeing the evolution from our old Audi.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

It defaults to distance to empty if you are low on fuel, once you fill up it should remember what the last choice was, speed or date/time or so.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the explanation. I've filled up once since it started happening (which was when I was relatively low on fuel), I'll see what happens when I fill up again.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: I filled it up with gas yesterday, and no change. It still automatically goes to the range screen on start-up, no matter where it was left before. The range has been updated to show the full tank -- showed 515 miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's the default screen - that's the way it's designed.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Mine defaults to average fuel consumption, now with the VC in the A4 and before that in the A6 C7 and Q5 with color DIS
Old 11-16-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine (2016 A4) has been doing this since they did an update around October 2016. For the first month I had it the display defaulted to what it was last on. Then they did an update at the first service and forever since, it defaults to Consumption. I absolutely hate it and have asked Audi every time I’ve gone in for a service to fix it and every time they tell me that it defaults to what ever I had it on last. I’m not an idiot! I know what it defaults to.

This would be my biggest pet peeve with an otherwise amazing car.

Would love a solution to it.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine displays whatever was on when I turned the car off. I haven't taken it in for its first service yet, so everything is still as it was from the factory. My build date is Apr 2017.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blassus
Mine displays whatever was on when I turned the car off. I haven't taken it in for its first service yet, so everything is still as it was from the factory. My build date is Apr 2017.
I can almost guarantee it will change after your first service.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gjwatson
I'm still getting used to our new 2017 A4 (replacing a 2004 A4), and have a hopefully quick question about the default dashboard display.

We have the standard display (not the Virtual Dashboard). Somehow, I've managed to set it so that when the car starts up, it starts on the range remaining. It used to be that when it started up, it would be in whatever mode was there when it was last shut off (e.g. date/time, speedometer, energy consumption, etc.) Does anyone know a way to change it back? Or change what the default is? I wasn't able to find an answer in a quick look in the manual.

From looking at the forums, I see that I'm not the only person with a problem with Carplay disconnecting when the backup camera is used. I seems to happen when I first start the car and move, and not later, but this may be just what I'm doing. I've discovered disconnecting it through the connection manager and then reconnecting gets it back on. Hopefully there will be an update at some point that solves this.

These are little things, so far, we're still learning about the car, and seeing the evolution from our old Audi.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
I have the SAME TWO pet peeves. It tells me about gas consumption on startup every time, and it also disconnects CarPlay if I backup with the camera, although with CapPlay this problem is not consistent. My car was called in for the speaker recall so I'll talk to the dealer when they service it to see if they can fix anything.

Quick Reply: Default dashboard display?