Notices
A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovered a flaw in Audi Pre-sense

Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
Sorry but I can't understand your reasoning that there is a flaw with the pre-sense. It chimed you reacted, thus it felt no need to apply the brakes. Then the idiot too close behind you hit you.
Second to Cuke2u's comment. Sorry but I don't see the flaw of the pre-sense. I wish my A4 has pre-sense front which has micro-wave radar sensors rather than just front camera. The flaw is the guy not driving careful and not every car has the system. The pre-sense might had saved you from more damage.

Last edited by minmet; 06-13-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about this OP.

Under perfect testing conditions, a Rav4 takes a full 30 feet or so further than an A4/S4 to come to a dead stop from 60mph. And under real-world conditions, some Rav4 owners change their brake fluid but once every 10 years and the pads don't get touched until a shop threatens to call the police for public endangerment if they don't. Add in a likelihood of a cell phone in their hand and 2 distracting kids in the back and you've got a recipe for disaster.

So, you gotta become the master of *all* the space around you in these Audis (or any other considerably-higher-than-average performance car). I always keep big gaps in front of me in traffic because while I know I could stop, the guy behind me probably can't, and so I prefer to apply the brakes as early and gradually as possible to force a longer reaction zone/braking distance upon those behind me than is actually required for my own car. I don't worry about that sort of thing so much when an AMG or a Corvette or another late-model Audi is following me.

Hoping you a speedy and well-done repair. And for what it's worth, just pay your deductible and get the process started: there is absolutely no way that crash is going to cost less than $5000 to repair...looks like you'll need a new trunk lid, new bumper, new parking sensors for the bumper, paint + blending into adjacent panels e.g. rear quarters (and said panels will need to be 100% re-clearcoated to blend into, so that means your doors will have to come off and the interior taped etc because the rear quarters extend up into the roof rails etc) for all the above, and probably new rear lights (hard to tell from the photos if they got scratched up). There's probably also a bunch of damage underneath that bumper cover that needs to be repaired internally. Make sure whoever hit you has good insurance so yours can subrogate, and then go to the best audi-experienced body shop in town and let them do it fully and properly. A quality repair on damage of this nature will take several weeks, and they may need to order parts from Germany to stage the job before starting. If you are quoted anything less e.g. "we can have that done in 3 days," pass on the body shop and get a second opinion because "weeks" is the only correct answer for what a proper job should take.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by minmet View Post
Second to Cuke2u's comment. Sorry but I don't see the flaw of the pre-sense. I wish my A4 has pre-sense front which has micro-wave radar sensors rather than just front camera. The flaw is the guy not driving careful and not every car has the system. The pre-sense might had saved you from more damage.
Um, guys, I think the OP was talking about a "flaw" in Pre Sense in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way. In fact, he said:

"That flaw being......that drivers of janky Toyota Rav 4s traveling too close behind you don't have it and can't stop as fast as you can when traffic comes to a sudden, unexpected stop."

In other words, the "flaw" is that other cars don't have Pre Sense. He wasn't criticizing Audi's Pre Sense.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by minmet View Post
. . . I always keep big gaps in front of me in traffic because while I know I could stop, the guy behind me probably can't, and so I prefer to apply the brakes as early and gradually as possible to force a longer reaction zone/braking distance upon those behind me than is actually required for my own car. I don't worry about that sort of thing so much when an AMG or a Corvette or another late-model Audi is following me . . .
Exactly! I drive the same way. Even when fully stopped at a light, I leave at least a full car-length or more between me and the car in front of me ... for emergency maneuvers if needed. More than once, a car in front of me stalled or became disabled, blocking a long line of traffic. But I had left myself plenty of room to get around the car.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AidanHadley View Post
OP, did pre-sense rear go off? As in, did the seat belts tighten? It is intended to prevent whiplash.

As far as pre-sense front, the visual/audible warning will occur first, followed by a brake jolt, followed by full automatic braking. These will all occur whether or not you're braking (i.e. even if you're braking, it may still apply pre-sense). I've experienced all of these and it's definitely saved me in the past.

To echo some others' comments, sometimes by the time the visual warning comes up, it appears as if my car is already so close to the car in front that it doesn't feel like there's enough room for the emergency braking to prevent the accident. But I've come to find out that our perception of speed is not nearly as precise as the pre-sense system is in monitoring the distance before applying the brakes. One thing to note is that, say you're going 30 mph and are quickly approaching a car, the Audi accounts for the fact that even a small application of brakes will be enough to prevent an accident since the car in front is also moving at 30 mph (versus approaching a car at 0 mph). Hope that made sense.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by chemengin View Post
. . . say you're going 30 mph and are quickly approaching a car, the Audi accounts for the fact that even a small application of brakes will be enough to prevent an accident since the car in front is also moving at 30 mph (versus approaching a car at 0 mph). Hope that made sense.
I may be wrong, but I would think that if both cars are traveling at 30 mph, you'd never catch up to him ...
Old 06-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Make sure that they reapply your badges with factory templates. Most body shops just eyeball them since the templates are expensive but they never get them exactly right and it becomes really apparent that your car’s been repaired.