A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Discovered a new A4 Smartphone LifeHack

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discovered a new A4 Smartphone LifeHack

So, this might have been obvious to most people, but it wasn't for me, so I figured I'd share in case I wasn't the only one who missed this trick:

I can't speak for iPhone users, but I presume it would work similarly...

As most of us know, long-pressing the voice button on the steering wheel activates your bluetooth-connected smartphone's built-in assistant. For me, it's Google Assitant.

First, this enables me to ask Assistant basic questions like I can my smart speakers at home. Long press, ask question, get answer. No need to connect to Android Auto via USB!

Second (and this is the new revelation): I can (again, via bluetooth - no USB, no Android Auto) long-press the voice button and say "Play music by [artist]" or "Play [title] by [artist]... switch the MMI to Media, and now I am listening to streaming music from my phone, based on what I asked for via voice! Further, the MMI interface at this point now lets me navigate my entire Google Play Music library, organized by folder.

Since I don't always want to go through the hubbub of plugging in my phone to Android Auto, this is a very cool hack to still have all of my streaming music at the ready, integrated via the MMI, and instantly playback.

Anyway, I might be the last guy to figure this out but just in case I'm not, I figured I'd share my findings.

Cheers!
Jon
The following 6 users liked this post by JonDeutsch:
A4Driver (06-30-2019), ETrains (07-03-2019), gooberman (06-30-2019), LukeHawk (06-28-2019), richDDT (07-02-2019), StKnowhere (06-29-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bluetooth audio streaming is a standard feature of the Audi A4...you never needed to plug your phone in and use Android Auto in the first place to listen to your music. I rarely plugged my iPhone in to use CarPlay unless going on a trip where I wanted "better" navigation and used Bluetooth audio to stream all the time. You don't even need to use your voice to get to it.

Give your manual another read through!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I'm well aware that the A4 has bluetooth streaming. I stream podcasts via bluetooth on the daily. The discovery was being able to use Assistant to call up any song I wanted and have it play w/o Android Auto. No interface required. But when called up, the MMI provides a basic interface to browse my entire music catalog on my phone -- that's much more than just bluetooth audio streaming to me.

Question for you: How do you select the music you want to stream via bluetooth?

Originally Posted by idealdreams
Bluetooth audio streaming is a standard feature of the Audi A4...you never needed to plug your phone in and use Android Auto in the first place to listen to your music. I rarely plugged my iPhone in to use CarPlay unless going on a trip where I wanted "better" navigation and used Bluetooth audio to stream all the time. You don't even need to use your voice to get to it.

Give your manual another read through!
The following users liked this post:
ETrains (07-03-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

A long press of the voice control button will activate Siri hands free.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
I simply connect my iPhone to USB for CarPlay and then simply say “Hey Siri” and do as the OP does via Bluetooth and I have lots of other benefits with having to press the button.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Yes, I'm well aware that the A4 has bluetooth streaming. I stream podcasts via bluetooth on the daily. The discovery was being able to use Assistant to call up any song I wanted and have it play w/o Android Auto. No interface required. But when called up, the MMI provides a basic interface to browse my entire music catalog on my phone -- that's much more than just bluetooth audio streaming to me.

Question for you: How do you select the music you want to stream via bluetooth?
Thanks for the discovery, I don't think they understand your finding.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bestcar17:
ETrains (07-03-2019), JonDeutsch (07-15-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt know I could activate google assistant like this! sweet.
The following users liked this post:
JonDeutsch (07-15-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How long is a "long press"? I tried the button today and it only activates the MMI voice stuff.

EDIT
Ahh, my bad. My Samsung was confused and didn't know which smart assistant to activate Google or Bixby. I had to select google always on the phone itself, now it works.

Last edited by Timfoilhat; 07-02-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
I believe this is called Siri eyes free...
Old 07-02-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by justbreddy
I believe this is called Siri eyes free...
Question for you folks, same basic steps as OP but instead of pushing the button why not just say Hey Siri or Okay Google (if that’s the current Google activation phrase) to complete the remaining steps? This works for me and I’m just connected over Bluetooth.

Last edited by BoxerBoi76; 07-02-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Discovered a new A4 Smartphone LifeHack