A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DIY exterior - wash, clay bar, wax car

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Agree, good coatings properly applied should last a few years...and yes, you don't have to "wax" your car after that. A few thoughts and caveats, having applied a few coating to my last cars and my current Allroad done professionally. I'm a huge proponent of coatings - saves tons of time and offers by far more protection than waxes and sealants.
Much depends on prepping your cars finish before the coating. That means clay, swirl remover, etc, etc. Technique with application is essential or you will get high spots. Generally, professional applied coatings will last longer than the do it yourself coatings. Longevity after application with very much depend on routine and careful washing.I would avoid commercial car washes unless absolutely no alternative, and even then try to find a touch-less car wash. Lifetime - nah, a few good years - yep.
Lifetime means different things to different people. Lifetime of a car, probably not. Lifetime of a person's ownership, quite possibly. Most people own their cars for anywhere from 3 to 10 years. It's rare when a car goes longer than ten years. A good ceramic coating could very well last for ten years. The one I have, Opti-Coat Pro Plus, has a seven year warranty and quite often lasts longer than that, requiring no second coating. After ten years? I'd probably move on to another car. With the way technology is creeping into modern cars, I would bet ownership lengths will probably drop, as people upgrade the tech in their cars to the next generation models. We, with our autonomous level 2 driving systems in our A4's may want to upgrade to level 3's or 4's in coming years, assuming the lawmakers cooperate with allowing those.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
Lifetime means different things to different people. Lifetime of a car, probably not. Lifetime of a person's ownership, quite possibly. Most people own their cars for anywhere from 3 to 10 years. It's rare when a car goes longer than ten years. A good ceramic coating could very well last for ten years. The one I have, Opti-Coat Pro Plus, has a seven year warranty and quite often lasts longer than that, requiring no second coating. After ten years? I'd probably move on to another car. With the way technology is creeping into modern cars, I would bet ownership lengths will probably drop, as people upgrade the tech in their cars to the next generation models. We, with our autonomous level 2 driving systems in our A4's may want to upgrade to level 3's or 4's in coming years, assuming the lawmakers cooperate with allowing those.
Good points. Seven years is a longtime and about as long as many people will own their cars - and bolsters my point/thought that coatings are the way to go for reasons mentioned. But again, this is a Pro applied coating and is different from the consumer available self applied coatings, But with all not only does longevity depend on prepping properly and the obvious avoidance of commercial car washes, thus careful washing by the consumer, high quality microfiber cloths, other factors - your climate and is the car garaged or not play a role. And I'm betting that in the next few years the technology behind the coatings - and all other aspects of paint protection will advance to the point where waxes will be something simply more nostalgic.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
This is what people are having professionally done to their cars but you can now do it yourself. It is a 9H product and bonds with your paint. This is NO gimmick! Do your research and you will never wax your car again. People pay, on average, between $1000 - $1500 to have it done...not hard but does take time and some put more than one coat on at the initial sealant. Some on this site have had it done professionally from what I remember coming across in threads. This is PERFECT for folks like you in cold, snowy areas.
Have you used this? It looks pretty easy to put on. May be worth a try, but is it better to apply it in warmer weather?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Ceramic Pro 9H applied to my 2018 immediately after buying it this August. I do not regret the $1300 I spent for a 4 layer application exterior and then the interior coating as well. I have never had a car that is this easy to keep clean nor beads water so consistently. It's as good now as it was in August. I wash my car every couple of weeks, or as needed using a foam cannon with Chemical Guys Honeydew soap, and then the two bucket method wash, followed by a towel dry. It takes me 35-40 minutes at most. The car is glowing when I'm done. I've gone from a guy who got fed up trying to keep my old car clean to not minding the process at all. And I don't have a garage to store my baby in, so that says something.

Good luck,

G.

ps- I hope to keep my car longer than 5 years, so I guess we'll see in a few years!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your post, I appreciate this so much especially since I am a new owner of my Audi!!!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you look into doing the ceramic yourself to save a TON of money. Easy to do and a lot of very reputable sources out there for high quality product. Here is what I use:

R1 Coatings