AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Diy satisfaction (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/diy-satisfaction-2961905/)

A4Driver 11-06-2018 06:07 AM

Diy satisfaction

There is a great amount of satisfaction one can get by doing things yourself. Yesterday, I changed my oil and filter. I got satisfaction by knowing that I did a much more thorough job than the dealership would do (and saved money in the process). How much dirty oil would they have left in the engine? How much would they overfill my crankcase (which they always do). Would the mechanic wash his hands before getting into the car and getting his grubby hands on the steering wheel and shifter?

Nobody cares about your car more than you do.

minmet 11-06-2018 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by A4Driver (Post 25233350)
There is a great amount of satisfaction one can get by doing things yourself. Yesterday, I changed my oil and filter. I got satisfaction by knowing that I did a much more thorough job than the dealership would do (and saved money in the process). How much dirty oil would they have left in the engine? How much would they overfill my crankcase (which they always do). Would the mechanic wash his hands before getting into the car and getting his grubby hands on the steering wheel and shifter?

Been DIY for years. Admitted, initially was to save money. But now, mainly for the fun of doing it as well as keep their hands off my car. Two month ago, I dropped off my wife's RX350 at Lexus dealer for check on vibration as well as pulsation when braking. Came back with a long deep scratch on the rear bumper and detached lower door molding. Don't even to mention tons fine scratches left buy machine car wash (that's same with Audi). Had to go through their costumer satisfaction rep to have the molding replaced. Quite a hack.

irenesbob 11-06-2018 12:31 PM

Nobody cares about your car more than you do..

Couldn't agree more. That being said, I have Audi Care and let them do maintenance, but I always tell them I am anal about scratches, etc. and do a walk around with the service advisor before taking the car home after each visit. So far, no real issues. I lease, so that eases my paranoia, I guess.

bob m 11-06-2018 01:52 PM

Ya know, I'd like to think that Audi dealerships would at least do a proper oil change - leaving no dirty oil in the engine or overfilling it either.Regarding dirty hands on my steering wheel - had that happen and went right to the manager and made him aware. This was not to get the tech in trouble, but to make him aware of the "issue."

A4Driver 11-06-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by irenesbob (Post 25233512)
Couldn't agree more. That being said, I have Audi Care and let them do maintenance, but I always tell them I am anal about scratches, etc. and do a walk around with the service advisor before taking the car home after each visit. So far, no real issues. I lease, so that eases my paranoia, I guess.

I have Audi Care too, but I do my own oil and filter changes in between warranty service.

J. Patterson 11-06-2018 06:42 PM

I do all of my services too. Also brakes. Have VAG com and can diagnose most issues. ( two of my Audis are “senior citizens”). I buy my filters and parts from my dealer parts counter and the guys treat me like one of the family. DIYers are an anomaly at Audi dealerships. One downside is the absence of service records in Audi’s database for our cars when we sell them. I keep records and receipts for documentation. I will say, that I have never had any real problems with service or repairs done by my dealership. I just like doing things myself.

irenesbob 11-06-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by J. Patterson (Post 25233657)
....I will say, that I have never had any real problems with service or repairs done by my dealership...

My '18 A4 is the 6th new Audi I have leased since 2005 (3 A4's and 3 A6's). All had Audi Care and I have had no issues with either of the 2 dealers these cars were leased from.

StKnowhere 11-07-2018 04:29 AM

Another member of the DYI club.

Costco has the QuickJack at a significant discount that will make things even easier.

https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2...100460313.html

minmet 11-07-2018 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by StKnowhere (Post 25233744)
Another member of the DYI club.

Costco has the QuickJack at a significant discount that will make things even easier.

https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2...100460313.html

You are serious, Man. LOL

StKnowhere 11-07-2018 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by irenesbob (Post 25233661)
My '18 A4 is the 6th new Audi I have leased since 2005 (3 A4's and 3 A6's). All had Audi Care and I have had no issues with either of the 2 dealers these cars were leased from.

You don't know what you don't know.

My last dealer warranty oil change sent me out the door with a 1qt over fill. The oil was still dirty so I suspect an incomplete extraction. I just did my self 5k change and the oil filter was significantly over torqued.

So easy on the A4 I can do it myself without getting my hands dirty in less time than driving to the dealer and back.