A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Drive/Safety System Malfunction - Start/Stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive/Safety System Malfunction - Start/Stop

New member, but a long time reader and follower of the site.

Brief background: I own a an A4 B9, P+. No real mods, except for ECS intake and use a piggyback (Neuspeed PM, then JB4), more on the piggyback later.

So I've had my car since November 2016 and no issues for the first six months (no mods). I then installed the ECS intake this past spring, no issues. Less than a month later, I installed the Neuspeed PM, and still no issues. In October, I ordered and installed the Jb4 and the first couple weeks, 1 issue with the start/stop, but it cleared after I restarted the car like many others have stated and no faults/code were logged. However, the frequency of the issue increased, where I had 3 last week. It could happen while I am stopped at a light or stopped in the parking lot in Park.

I finally decided to schedule an appointment with my dealership to check things out. Before I took it in, I removed the JB4 and drove without it for a week, and of course, no issues during that period. The dealership also confirmed there were no faults and could not identify or reproduce an issue.

To be clear, I am not saying JB4 is the root cause of my issues though the timing certainly make it a suspect. I plan on running the car without it for a while longer to see if the issue reappears. Has anyone experienced this with JB4? I know those who have used the RC piggyback have had the CEL show up.
I really enjoy driving with the JB4 installed so I would be extremely disappointed if in fact it could be the issue which means I may have to go the APR route as the Neuspeed PM doesn't offer the same power across the band and I will be hit with TD1.

Thank you for reading.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the exact same issue with the Racechip. Initially it was only the start stop error. The CEL issue started after a few months of running the RC. I still use the RC and clear the CEL when it pops up but it is irritating. And I kinda like the RC too. I know it doesn't show much of a difference on a real dyno but my butt dyno says otherwise.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't these piggy back chips designed for stock intakes? Could that be the issue?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by agarcnyc
Aren't these piggy back chips designed for stock intakes? Could that be the issue?
I used to get CELs and errors even with the stock intake.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I used to get CELs and errors even with the stock intake.
I also have an aftermarket intake and never had an issue with the Neuspeed Power Module. I am getting a new cable from BM I see if that helps.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmoreasian
I also have an aftermarket intake and never had an issue with the Neuspeed Power Module. I am getting a new cable from BM I see if that helps.
Any updates? Did a new cable fix your issue?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4ORCE1
Any updates? Did a new cable fix your issue?
A new cable fixed the more serious issues of the start-stop...but I still got intermittent errors. I now have an APR tune.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I notice that I get the start stop error only in the summer and only after I’ve been driving pedal to metal style for long durations (an hour or more; again in the summer). I’ve NEVER gotten the start stop error in the winter even though I’ve driven pedal to metal for long hours in the freezing cold.
I assume it has something to do with high temperatures?