A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Driver window/door wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Versprechen
Acoustic glass or not my 2017 sedan is silent as the tomb. Is it a Prestige thing? I suspect there is acoustic glass all round. I don't know how reviewers get such low decibel readings, even on US cars, without having it.

It's Pilkington glass -- the codes are difficult to discern.

If you roll down the window you can look at the top of the glass; if it's acoustic it'll be a sandwiched cross-section.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interestingly, Safelite indicates it could be either or -- there's laminated and non-laminated choices for the windshield and driver's and passenger's windows, and no lamination for the back windows, for both MY2017 and MY2018. For MY2016 there's only one, non-acoustic choice.

I'll check for the sandwich slice. But, as it is with a better rear camera in the Prestige versus other models, I'm betting the front / side glass is acoustic. If it isn't then it has to be almost a marketing thing -- the cabin is so quiet it's then effectively a distinction without a difference.

Last edited by Versprechen; 09-20-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 is a Premium+ w/o Acoustic glass and I have the wind noise issue .
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Versprechen
Interestingly, Safelite indicates it could be either or -- there's laminated and non-laminated choices for the windshield and driver's and passenger's windows, and no lamination for the back windows, for both MY2017 and MY2018. For MY2016 there's only one, non-acoustic choice.

I'll check for the sandwich slice. But, as it is with a better rear camera in the Prestige versus other models, I'm betting the front / side glass is acoustic. If it isn't then it has to be almost a marketing thing -- the cabin is so quiet it's then effectively a distinction without a difference.
I've got a 2017 Prestige. Neither the front nor rear side glass is acoustically laminated.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcoril
I've got a 2017 Prestige. Neither the front nor rear side glass is acoustically laminated.
In the UK the acoustic side windows only come with privacy glass option...
Old 09-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2017 Prestige and just recently started noticing a little wind noise towards the top of the driver's side window. Since this car is so quiet it was quite noticeable. I did a little searching online and found a product called Gummie Pfledge Stift that is a small bottle of product meant to condition rubber seals. I applied it to all of the door seals (both on the doors and on the car itself) and the wind noise is completely gone. I applied it twice allowing it to dry in between applications and I think I noticed the seals expanding a bit (they seem puffier to the touch if that makes sense). I also cleaned the seals with a bit of interior cleaner and a microfiber cloth first. I bought the stuff off of Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

You can probably find it a little less expensive elsewhere, but I wanted to try it quickly and have Prime shipping. Although I see it's a few dollars cheaper now than it was when I bought it earlier in the week. Anyway, I would recommend it if you are hearing the noise.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KK in CT
I have a 2017 Prestige and just recently started noticing a little wind noise towards the top of the driver's side window. Since this car is so quiet it was quite noticeable. I did a little searching online and found a product called Gummie Pfledge Stift that is a small bottle of product meant to condition rubber seals. I applied it to all of the door seals (both on the doors and on the car itself) and the wind noise is completely gone. I applied it twice allowing it to dry in between applications and I think I noticed the seals expanding a bit (they seem puffier to the touch if that makes sense). I also cleaned the seals with a bit of interior cleaner and a microfiber cloth first. I bought the stuff off of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can probably find it a little less expensive elsewhere, but I wanted to try it quickly and have Prime shipping. Although I see it's a few dollars cheaper now than it was when I bought it earlier in the week. Anyway, I would recommend it if you are hearing the noise.
Thanks, that's great info. Out of curiosity, did it sound like wind noise entering the vehicle or just the outside turbulence?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PageMaster500
Thanks, that's great info. Out of curiosity, did it sound like wind noise entering the vehicle or just the outside turbulence?
To me it sounded like the window wasn't closing all the way, but when I pulled up on the window button it didn't go up anymore. Almost like it was open just enough to let some wind faint wind noise in.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

The wind noise is starting to annoy me. No solution for Premium Plus cars (with nou acoustic glass)? Even finding acoustic glass separately is hard...

Edit: made some research regarding parts needed. It seems that you don't need to change other parts (such as regulators, motors, channels...) beside the glass
https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi__/6...E/1321625.html

The part numbers for front acoustic glass:
8W0845021 - left
8W0845022 - right

270$ each

Last edited by Void20; 11-26-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I got my acoustic glasses mounted. The glass must be mounted with care since it's fragile.
The wind noise is still present, but is way more reduced / refined.

I can confirm that only the glass is different, nothing else was needed for fitting the new windows.

Note, those acoustic glasses are marked with an A. Same goes with the windscreen (if i am not wrong, acoustic windshield is standard across A4 B9).
For more markings you can do a google image search with part numbers posted above.

Last edited by Void20; 12-17-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Driver window/door wind noise