A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DSG flush required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven’t looked at the manual or parts catalog myself yet but all of those part numbers look to be without all wheel drive. Also if you look in the manual it should say that the subframe will need to be removed to remove the pan. When we were at automatic transmission class (again Audi of America factory training) we determined that the subframe would need to come out making the filter service out of the realm of realistic. Also about filter to pan integration I’m 99 percent sure we say the filter housing in the mounted side of the mech unit but again I’d have to look up the self study program or manual to be positive.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like Myth Busters debunked dbias on this thread!
The following users liked this post:
LightningTruck (04-21-2023)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tanner Sousa
Haven’t looked at the manual or parts catalog myself yet but all of those part numbers look to be without all wheel drive. Also if you look in the manual it should say that the subframe will need to be removed to remove the pan. When we were at automatic transmission class (again Audi of America factory training) we determined that the subframe would need to come out making the filter service out of the realm of realistic. Also about filter to pan integration I’m 99 percent sure we say the filter housing in the mounted side of the mech unit but again I’d have to look up the self study program or manual to be positive.
Tanner, you are full of bad news! I looked at the full procedure, and removal of the subframe crossbrace is required. Removal is fairly extensive and requires special tools to hold the steering in place.

I only have access to limited OEM parts suppliers found online, but that part number shows fitment on AWD models as well, per their web sites. Regardless, if so much work is involved, it seems the filter will not be changed by dealers with a transmission fluid change unless you are willing to pay outrageous fees . Looking at Audi Care documentation, it clearly states the ATF FLUID change is included, but it doesn't mention anything about the filter.

So, thinking about the future of my A4, is just a fluid change good enough?

CFM
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Sitting in here with popcorn reminiscing on all the hate people gave the B9 S4 at launch when it was learned they dropped the DSG for a traditional ZF auto.
I, for one, welcome our new lower cost of ownership transmission overlords.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Sitting in here with popcorn reminiscing on all the hate people gave the B9 S4 at launch when it was learned they dropped the DSG for a traditional ZF auto.
I, for one, welcome our new lower cost of ownership transmission overlords.
I'm not familiar with the Audi ZF application, nor do I have any Audi documentation on it, but I had one on a RAM 1500. Excellent transmission, but the filter was integrated into the pan as well. If the Audi is the same, you are not exempt from the situation...

CFM
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...e_9-7-2017.pdf

The 2017 maintenance schedule calls for a filter change. The 2018 maintenance schedule was updated to show just a transmission fluid change for the A4 every 40,000 miles.

Crisis averted!!!!

CFM
Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CFM567
I'm not familiar with the Audi ZF application, nor do I have any Audi documentation on it, but I had one on a RAM 1500. Excellent transmission, but the filter was integrated into the pan as well. If the Audi is the same, you are not exempt from the situation...

CFM
Feel free to correct me if I seem to have glossed over something, but the MY2018 Maintenance Schedule does not indicate a transmission service of any kind (beyond "road test" and "check for leaks") for the S4.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 11-07-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Feel free to correct me if I seem to have glossed over something, but the MY2018 Maintenance Schedule does not indicate a transmission service of any kind (beyond "road test" and "check for leaks") for the S4.
You are absolutely correct. ZF claims their transmission fluid is a lifetime fill. There are many articles and forums claiming otherwise and recommend a more realistic change interval though. By the book, you are in great shape!

CFM
Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CFM567
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...e_9-7-2017.pdf

The 2017 maintenance schedule calls for a filter change. The 2018 maintenance schedule was updated to show just a transmission fluid change for the A4 every 40,000 miles.

Crisis averted!!!!

CFM
Kind of confused, this Scheduled said filter change for MY18 on page 3

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...ges_022317.pdf
Old 11-07-2017, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Kind of confused, this Scheduled said filter change for MY18 on page 3

You're right, and it's totally ambiguous. They only mention the A4 ultra:

Perform first at 40,000 miles and thereafter every 40,000 miles.
  • DSG/S tronic: Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element
  • DSG/S tronic: Change ATF oil (A3 e-tron, A4 ultra, A5, A5 Sportback, A6 front wheel drive, Q5, RS 3, TT RS only)
However, since the A5 and A5 Sportback have the exact same engine and transmission as the non-ultra A4 I think this is just an oversight.

Quick Reply: DSG flush required?