A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DSG flush required?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CFM567
If a filter change isn't required in our cars, everything they did in the video under the car with the overfill/temperature-measure/drain-excess is basically the same as what will be required on our cars.

The video at least gives you a good idea of what's involved regarding the fluid change.

CFM
Isn't that Tanner Sousa said the new DSG system is pressurized and need the factory reader to de-pressurize it before drain?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I was under the impression as well that you have to go into the system to depressurize the system before opening it up to drain the fluid. I don't think all DSG models have the same service steps, which is important to note. Another reason I got AudiCare....
Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RippA3
I see people saying $500 is not a lot of money, I've seen the price range from the upwards of $700! It's insane. You can buy all the tools and materials you need to do it for less than $300, and then be able to use all those tools for other jobs that the dealer would charge an arm and a leg for!
If I can do it you can too.. A friend and I did it and filmed doing a fluid service in 3 hours. You just gotta take a deep breath and look at what you're really paying for.
Here's my 8 minute DIY video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UtSTZqW6Wc

I have listed the tools I used and recommended alternatives. The OBDEleven scan tool is not something I have yet, but looks like it would do the trick for $80. (And you can definitely forego the pump tool kit for $80)
That video won't help with B9 A4s which use a longitudinally mounted transmission with separate DSG and MTF fluid chambers. It's bottom fill only for the DSG side.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I was under the impression as well that you have to go into the system to depressurize the system before opening it up to drain the fluid. I don't think all DSG models have the same service steps, which is important to note. Another reason I got AudiCare....
There are two oil circuits in the tranny, the DSG side for the mechatronics and hydraulics controls, and the mechanical side that bathes in MTF. The mechanical side has a pressure accumulator that would need to be depressurized in order to replace the MTF. I'm not sure what the service schedule is for the mechanical side.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by breadbooze
There are two oil circuits in the tranny, the DSG side for the mechatronics and hydraulics controls, and the mechanical side that bathes in MTF. The mechanical side has a pressure accumulator that would need to be depressurized in order to replace the MTF. I'm not sure what the service schedule is for the mechanical side.

Breadbooze, you seems know this DSG well. So which one (DSG side or mechanical side) are we talking about to be changed at 40,000 miles according to Audi's schedule? Thanks!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by minmet
Breadbooze, you seems know this DSG well. So which one (DSG side or mechanical side) are we talking about to be changed at 40,000 miles according to Audi's schedule? Thanks!
The DSG side is 40k, the mechanical side isn't published but I assume it to be 100k. In the process of figuring out how to do the DSG fluid change I changed out the MTF as well. I understand now why there is no filter on the DSG side- it's all hydraulics and there really isn't any exposure to gears or parts that wear down over time.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The DSG side is 40k, the mechanical side isn't published but I assume it to be 100k. In the process of figuring out how to do the DSG fluid change I changed out the MTF as well. I understand now why there is no filter on the DSG side- it's all hydraulics and there really isn't any exposure to gears or parts that wear down over time.
Thank you for the info, breadbooze!
I assume you used same fluid for both compartments. Did you use factory reader to de-pressurize the MTF or you have a trick to do it yourself? A bit detail or better yet a step by step tutorial would be great. I have been doing auto maintenance even including timing belts for all my cars for years. This is my first European car though so a bit uncertain. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you used same fluid for both compartments. Did you use factory reader to de-pressurize the MTF or you have a trick to do it yourself? A bit detail or better yet a step by step tutorial would be great. I have been doing auto maintenance even including timing belts for all my cars for years. This is my first European car though so a bit uncertain. Thanks in advance!
+1 Here...... And thanks to Breadbooze for the info so far.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

While DSG fluid can be used for both, Audi put in a GL-4 75W gear oil (that's what the service tech thinks it is), or part number G052549A2 if you want what the factory used. I put up a set by step for the DSG side in the allroad forum here- https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...hange-2945427/

The process for the MTF change involved sucking it out from the side fill port (I got about 3.5L out) and refilling until it leaks out. I couldn't figure out how to depressurize the the accumulator using obd11 so I rowed through the gears with a "dry" gearbox and monitored the oil pressure until it dropped. It's probably not the ideal way of doing it, I'm sure there's a way to turn off the oil pressure pump and equalize pressure that way. You'll get a few faults in the transmission module doing it that way, they'll go away after the fluid is replaced and faults cleared.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

While DSG fluid can be used for both, Audi put in a GL-4 75W gear oil (that's what the service tech thinks it is), or part number G052549A2 if you want what the factory used. I put up a set by step for the DSG side in the allroad forum here- https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...hange-2945427/

The process for the MTF change involved sucking it out from the side fill port (I got about 3.5L out) and refilling until it leaks out. I couldn't figure out how to depressurize the the accumulator using obd11 so I rowed through the gears with a "dry" gearbox and monitored the oil pressure until it dropped. It's probably not the ideal way of doing it, I'm sure there's a way to turn off the oil pressure pump and equalize pressure that way. You'll get a few faults in the transmission module doing it that way, they'll go away after the fluid is replaced and faults cleared.
Breadbooze, pertaining to the DSG side, I have a 2017 A4 that is approaching 35k miles and am looking at the upcoming dsg fluid change screaming towards me. I have done several dsg fluid/filter changes on two of my VW and a couple friends and have embarrassingly discovered that the Audi is a completely different animal than i'm used to. You describe problems getting the fluid back in the fill hole and i am wondering if this transmission has the same type of snorkle to set the fluid level behind the plug as the VW trans did. On the VW i had to remove the plug and would get a little bit of fluid come out, that had settled in the snorkel and then had to put an 8mm allen bit to remove the plastic snorkel insert to remove the rest of the fluid. This snorkle is basically a short plastic tube that screws up into the transmission pan and until it is removed the majority of the fuild will be retained in the pan, and filling up and over it requires the fluid to be pressurized going in with an adapter called a VAS6262 which screws on like the drain plug and has a nipple that tubing connected to the container of DSG fluid is attached to and then gravity fed or pumped back into the transmission pan.
Does anyone know if this is the case? Additionally is this DSG the OB5/DL501 model?

Last edited by dbias; 03-25-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: DSG flush required?