A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New Audi A4 owner - Several Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi A4 owner - Several Questions!

Hi All,

Newcomer here and first time posting in this forum! Just gave back an infiniti Q50s and picked up a 2018 Audi A4 with Black Optic Package this past week! So far loving the ride and every small detail of the car....especially the virtual cockpit.

I did have several questions to ask on this, as I'm still getting used to the tech inside this car:

1. Is there a way to disable the Start/Stop functionality of the car? Or do I have to manually turn it off everytime I start up the car? Does it turn off on it's own if it's in a specific Drive Select mode?
2. I have these mats currently :https://parts.audiusa.com/accessorie...8_A4/Mats.html
Are there any other recommendations or should those be fine? I do get snow by where I am.
3. I'm still having trouble understanding how to connect my bluetooth or iphone via the USB. I'm able to do it, but does one override the other? When I connect via USB, the apple carplay pops up and I'm able to see my list of songs within the odometer screen. But when I connect via Bluetooth, my playlists do not show up and instead shows just the one song that's playing. Kinda lost on how this is supposed to work. Any tips on understanding connectivity? I can't tell what role the Audi MMI connect is supposed to have here.
4. So my previous car had many issues when it came to curb rashes and tires. The infiniti used to have run flats. I can't tell if the tires on the Audi are run-flats or all-season? I live in Yonkers, NY where we get a good amount of snow during the winter. The roads here are also bumpy with potholes all over. What is your guys recommendation on what I should do with the tires? I prefer having a comfortable ride without feeling the rode and just ensuring my tires don't pop (don't need a sporty ride really). Can I keep the OEM tires or should I switch out for winter tires? Also, what would be the best way to deal with curb rashes? Any paint / product I can use on my own to maintain the gloss black finish? The wheel/tires are my biggest pains and worries, just because I've had such bad luck in the past. Audi offered the wheel/tire package for $1400 (they wouldn't go lower) and I passed on it.
5. Anything in particular that I may want to add on this car that you personally would recommend? Or anything I should be aware of to consider when driving an A4? I'm really just looking for a smooth / comfortable ride in the pothole land of NY.

I have also attached what the car looks like.

Appreciate the feedback and thank you.

Regards,
Quackpoem
Old 10-06-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking ride. I love the white. For many of your questions that are technology related ask someone at the dealership to review these with you. I went the other day and spent an hour with my dealerships tech person and they were great. (no charge). As for the mats - that is what mine came with the protection pkg they look like they will be fine. The window sticker should say if the tires are runflats or not cant tell from the pics. I have Pirellis P7 allseason and I will see how they work this winter myself. I had Pirellis on my Lexus' last 10+ years and they were fine. If you don't buy separate wheels tires for winter ( I don't) you may want to put a ceramic coating on those wheels - any good detailer can help with that.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by redlight30
Nice looking ride. I love the white. For many of your questions that are technology related ask someone at the dealership to review these with you. I went the other day and spent an hour with my dealerships tech person and they were great. (no charge). As for the mats - that is what mine came with the protection pkg they look like they will be fine. The window sticker should say if the tires are runflats or not cant tell from the pics. I have Pirellis P7 allseason and I will see how they work this winter myself. I had Pirellis on my Lexus' last 10+ years and they were fine. If you don't buy separate wheels tires for winter ( I don't) you may want to put a ceramic coating on those wheels - any good detailer can help with that.
Thank you for the feedback! I plan on going to my local Audi dealership next week and setting aside some time to walk through some follow up questions I had (I have to get wheel locks anyways).
The ceramic coating --- never heard of that before, so will look into it. Any possibility I can maintain the gloss look of the rims on my own? I guess I'll need to get it coated depending on how bad/often my rims get scratched.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

youtube ceramic coatings there are a million videos on them. let us know how it all turns out
Old 10-06-2018, 05:59 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Quackpoem
1. Is there a way to disable the Start/Stop functionality of the car? Or do I have to manually turn it off everytime I start up the car? Does it turn off on it's own if it's in a specific Drive Select mode?
The start-stop system is controlled by brake pedal pressure - it becomes infinitely less annoying once you learn how to control it by braking gently. There is no 'elegant' official way of shutting it down for more than the current drive cycle.

I'm not sure if it turns off in S transmission mode.

2. I have these mats currently :https://parts.audiusa.com/accessorie...8_A4/Mats.html
Are there any other recommendations or should those be fine? I do get snow by where I am.
Many people, myself included, are big fans of WeatherTech floor mats.

4. So my previous car had many issues when it came to curb rashes and tires. The infiniti used to have run flats. I can't tell if the tires on the Audi are run-flats or all-season? I live in Yonkers, NY where we get a good amount of snow during the winter. The roads here are also bumpy with potholes all over. What is your guys recommendation on what I should do with the tires? I prefer having a comfortable ride without feeling the rode and just ensuring my tires don't pop (don't need a sporty ride really). Can I keep the OEM tires or should I switch out for winter tires? Also, what would be the best way to deal with curb rashes? Any paint / product I can use on my own to maintain the gloss black finish? The wheel/tires are my biggest pains and worries, just because I've had such bad luck in the past. Audi offered the wheel/tire package for $1400 (they wouldn't go lower) and I passed on it.
The A4 has non-run-flat tires, either summer or all-season depending on what options you got. One of the more underappreciated, best parts of the car. There's an old-fashioned spare under the trunk too.

For winter, even if you have the all-seasons (Pirelli P7 is the usual all-season tire), I think most people would recommend dedicated winter tires and rims.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the new car!

1. I've heard you can disable it using ODB, but cannot confirm through personal experience. I find in the city it's nice to cut out the wasted fuel wherever possible. If you have the car in "S" it eliminates the start/stop.
2. I used those mats through all of last winter in Ontario/Quebec and they're fine. If they use road salt like they do in southern Ontario a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar/water, some clean micro fibre towels, and a couple of hours carefully cleaning the floors after the season is about your best bet.
3. The USB connection overrides the bluetooth. It can be a bit frustrating, but it's excellent for the times you forget to plug your phone in and get a call. The cockpit display is weak in comparison to the infotainment screen. I'm pretty sure a better list of tracks/playlists is available through using the media switch to access the bluetooth device, though I think i may have used that option only once or twice very early on in ownership so don't quote me on that.
4. Kinda up to you not to hit the curb, if you've got the overhead view it makes it stunningly easy to avoid. I did go with the winter wheel/tire package and it's been worth it, but the canadian spec "sport" package gets a set of summer tires, so it just makes sense here.
5. The trunk liner was a pretty nice addition for tossing tools, work boots, and anything else that's not so fabric friendly into the back. Keeping a few microfibre towels handy to wipe down the screen/cockpit every once in awhile seems to go a long way to keeping the dust under control since their like magnets for it.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

1. You can disable start stop using OBDEleven but I renewables it and turn it off using the button. I didn’t like how my car would drop revs when it was disabled via OBDEleven and the ac was off.
If the transmission is in S mode, auto start stop is disabled. Irrespective of the drive select mode.
2. I have the same mat in my A4 and in my other Audis too (all came with the same type of mats). Been using them in the snow (I live in IL) and they work fine. No issues. I also got cloth mats for summers for all my cars but I’ve never used them. People get weathertech cuz they look better but I personally wouldn’t spend that much on mats.
3. Phone connectivity works like u mentioned. It’s normal. I have android and when I connect my phone to my car, android auto always pops up and disables playback via Bluetooth. But I can play back via Bluetooth if my phone is connected via usb cable and I’ve uninstalled android auto.
my wife’s iPhone though doesn’t let u playback via Bluetooth when connected via usb and is a headache. Car play also pops up.
4. Curb rash can be prevented only by you by being extremely careful. Yours is the premium plus, like mine. So it doesn’t have the surround cameras. I’ve got curb rash on one of my rims in my A4 (the other cars r rash free). There’s no way to prevent it other than by being very careful. Ceramic coating helps protect the paint on the rims and helps make cleaning easier and also reduces visibility of brake dust (won’t be that visible on dark rims anyways) but it will not protect against curb rash.
Our cars come with normal tyres, not run flats. They can be either all seasons or summer performance. I have P7s and they are all seasons. I’ve never had winter tires on any of my cars and I’ve driven in the snow with all seasons. BUT. I drive carefully on the snow and don’t do much driving in the winter anyway (perks of living 4 minutes away from work). Grip wise. The P7s are pathetic. I have continental all seasons on my A7 and they’re so much better grip wise. But yes you can still drive with them on snow as long as you’re careful. I find it easier to drive my A7 or X3 on the snow compared to my A4. My SQ5 has summer performance tyres and it hasn’t seen snow yet.
If you can get a dedicated set of winter tyres and can get them swapped easily, then I’d suggest getting winter tyres since I’ve heard they actually work well in the snow.
5. For a smooth ride on potholed roads, I’d say keep the suspension components and tyres stock. Don’t go for huge rim sizes (thereby reducing sidewall size). And if u can, slow down for potholes. It also helps reduces creaks and groans and keeps the car silent for longer.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should get a carbon fiber S4 style wing and ill buy your stock one

1) obdeleven pro. They usually have a special that comes with 200 free credits. It's really simple. Plug in. Use phone to press one button to disable start/stop. Cost will be around $115. Comes with much more features.

2) weather tech liners
Old 10-08-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wheels

nice ride-congrats! I just posted this in a different thread, but for 4 I recommend Mothers Powercone! Combined with a good polish and ceramic coating, they should stay shiny
Old 10-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool, I checked out a bunch. Seems like if you just put in some time and commitment, it would go a long way. Don't necessarily need high-end equipment, just a little patience to they'll look showroom-like.

Quick Reply: New Audi A4 owner - Several Questions!