A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Engine compartment noise when coasting >30mph only after engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine compartment noise when coasting >30mph only after engine is warm

Noticing over past 3000+ miles this whirling/fluttering sound from the engine compartment most noticeable when I let off the gas and coast at speeds above 30 mph. It almost sounds like a noisy ball bearing and/or a pump. Seems to only come on after engine is warm, and some days it is not as bothersome as others. No problems with shifting or engine performance. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a similar issue and have been curious about this as well. Sounds to me like it's coming from the right-ish (passenger) side of the car, almost like a squeaky fan or bearing or something. Not super loud, you can't hear it if the radio is even barely up and no driving issues otherwise.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. I recorded a short clip of this high pitch noise, I hope it is audible and that someone knows what's causing it. It just doesn't sound normal to me, but the dealership tech said he didn't hear anything?

Old 04-14-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Could not hear anything in the clip. Stupid question. Seeing that you have a prestige, do you have your ventilated seat on high per chance? In my prior A6, the high setting make such a high pitched sound from the fan that I could only use it on low or medium.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No ventilated seats for me. Yeah it is subtle against the tire noise in the recording but more prominent towards the latter half of the clip (higher pitch metallic rattling noise). Thanks for listening!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by traumeri
No ventilated seats for me. Yeah it is subtle against the tire noise in the recording but more prominent towards the latter half of the clip (higher pitch metallic rattling noise). Thanks for listening!
I'm sorry, but I can't hear anything also, only road noise!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Sorry. I am also deaf.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG, my car is doing the same thing, only it’s a bit more prominent and even more noticeable at lower speeds, because less wind noise. For others not hearing it, in the video, it’s a higher pitched rattling noise, coming from what sounds like mid/front bottom of the car maybe..not sure. I only hear it briefly in the video but my car does it more prominently while accelerating. If I coast past a wall it will reflect the noise back at you and then it can be very noticeable. It ONLY does it after the car has been driven a bit....never cold.

Has the OP or anyone else figured this out yet? I have an appt with the dealer in 2 weeks for that and some other issues, like metal door speaker trim coming loose and CarPlay not working every so often after first starting the car...though it is fairly rare (still on 0377)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Paul+
OMG, my car is doing the same thing, only it’s a bit more prominent and even more noticeable at lower speeds, because less wind noise. For others not hearing it, in the video, it’s a higher pitched rattling noise, coming from what sounds like mid/front bottom of the car maybe..not sure. I only hear it briefly in the video but my car does it more prominently while accelerating. If I coast past a wall it will reflect the noise back at you and then it can be very noticeable. It ONLY does it after the car has been driven a bit....never cold.

Has the OP or anyone else figured this out yet? I have an appt with the dealer in 2 weeks for that and some other issues, like metal door speaker trim coming loose and CarPlay not working every so often after first starting the car...though it is fairly rare (still on 0377)
Thank goodness somebody hears the same thing, I haven't had the time to go back to the dealer (they claimed they didn't hear anything last time). I've accepted the noise, and like you said, is most noticeable after the engine warms up. Let me know if you figure out the problem!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure if this helps but my Subaru Impreza 2018 does the exact same thing. Dealer thinks I'm being fussy and insinuating that I'm crazy. It's so frustrating given that it's a brand new car. Only happens when I have my foot off the throttle. When I press it, the noise goes away.

Quick Reply: Engine compartment noise when coasting >30mph only after engine is warm