A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Engine shudder when transmission disengages clutch when coming to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine shudder when transmission disengages clutch when coming to a stop?

Is it normal for a DCT transmission to shudder when the clutch is disengaged when braking and coming to a stop? It is a subtle feeling, but definitely noticeable when compared to a regular automatic transmission that stops completely smoothly. It feels and sounds like a shuddering/low vibration effect.

On a side note, does Audi utilize automatic engine braking by downshifting itself when braking downhill? My previous normal automatic transmission vehicle would simply sit at ~1100rpm while braking dowhill while trying to maintain 60km/hr, but I noticed the Audi would immediately downshift a couple times (before even allowing the current RPM to drop below 2000) after braking to maintain the same 60km/hr and sit around 3500rpm.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quattrp
Is it normal for a DCT transmission to shudder when the clutch is disengaged when braking and coming to a stop? It is a subtle feeling, but definitely noticeable when compared to a regular automatic transmission that stops completely smoothly. It feels and sounds like a shuddering/low vibration effect.

On a side note, does Audi utilize automatic engine braking by downshifting itself when braking downhill? My previous normal automatic transmission vehicle would simply sit at ~1100rpm while braking dowhill while trying to maintain 60km/hr, but I noticed the Audi would immediately downshift a couple times (before even allowing the current RPM to drop below 2000) after braking to maintain the same 60km/hr and sit around 3500rpm.

I have this exact same feeling. Well described. I imagine it's just the DCT but I'm not 100% as this is my first. I've gotten used to it unfortunately but please do update if you find out what it is/if it is normal. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Audi does use engine braking when you put on the brakes while going down hill. It is the the owner's manual somewhere.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Audi does use engine braking when you put on the brakes while going down hill. It is the the owner's manual somewhere.
Thanks, I somehow missed that section.

I would love to hear if even more people with this vehicle have experienced the shudder that I am describing.
If it is normal, I thought more people would have been vocal about it. Therefore I am leaning more towards the fact that there may be something wrong.
Dealership gave me the explanation that the clutch is disengaging which causes it, but I do not think it would feel like that.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you perhaps feeling the engine stop as part of the automated stop/start system? I noticed that the rental A4 Avant I had earlier this year would shut off the engine before the car came to a complete stop, and there was some noticeable shuddering when that happened. IIRC, anywhere below 20km/h seemed like fair game, as long as the brakes were at least partially engaged.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsidian3K
Are you perhaps feeling the engine stop as part of the automated stop/start system?
My Allroad shudders as the transmission downshifts rolling up to a stop, even if the auto-stop is disabled.

One possibility is that Audi leaves the transmission engaged as long as possible to keep charging the battery. Watch the fuel mileage bar graph and see if it lights up all the way to green battery at the right-hand end.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't hear or feel this at all. I have Auto Stop/Start permanently disabled.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I just did a 1300 miles road trip in an Allroad and I own an RS5, so both S-tronic transmissions. There is a tendency for the clutch to get released late if you come to a grandma stop. The TCU basically isn't sure if you are going to stop or if you just drive really slow. Eventually, the engine reaches almost stall speed and the clutch disengages to avoid stalling the engine. Be more assertive when coming to a stop and this shouldn't happen. I don't really experience this unless I'm stuck behind a grandma driver, so to say.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
There is a tendency for the clutch to get released late if you come to a grandma stop. The TCU basically isn't sure if you are going to stop or if you just drive really slow. Eventually, the engine reaches almost stall speed and the clutch disengages to avoid stalling the engine. Be more assertive when coming to a stop and this shouldn't happen.
That's too cute! If you brake more aggressively, then you WILL trigger the engine start/stop feature, which is absurdly annoying if you are, say, stopping at a stop sign and intend to drive off immediately. You either learn to brake more gently so that your brake pressure is too low to trigger the engine stop, or you have to turn off start/stop...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
That's too cute! If you brake more aggressively, then you WILL trigger the engine start/stop feature, which is absurdly annoying if you are, say, stopping at a stop sign and intend to drive off immediately. You either learn to brake more gently so that your brake pressure is too low to trigger the engine stop, or you have to turn off start/stop...
That is not my experience at all. The engine start/stop for me only triggers after coming to a full stop and firmly staying on the brake pedal. If I keep a light foot on the brake pedal for a quick stop, it doesn't trigger, but I still don't get into this shudder situation. Also, the engine immediately restarts the moment you ease up on the brake pedal pressure, even before completely releasing the brakes.

Not sure how you operate the brakes, but I slow down firmly and just before the car comes to a full stop, I ease off the brake pedal for a smooth stop, then if it's going to be a longer stop I increase the pressure on the brake pedal while already fully stopped which triggers the engine stop. This is all muscle memory for me at this point and I've yet to personally own a vehicle with engine start/stop. I've only ever driven rentals and loaners with engine start/stop.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-22-2017 at 03:16 PM.