AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Favorite button: left paddle shifter! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/favorite-button-left-paddle-shifter-2929738/)

Turbo Freak 08-06-2017 07:00 AM

Favorite button: left paddle shifter!

Hi,

Got my B9 A4 last April. I drive it most of the time in Sport mode, but I must say that the left paddle shifter is very useful when ramping up on a hi-way or when instant boost in power is needed!

I do not understand when some people say those paddle shifters are useless...

Versprechen 08-07-2017 01:15 AM

Best use for me is downshifting to a lower gear to engine brake on declines -- riding the brakes seems like idiotic behavior to me.

bigHUN 08-07-2017 06:51 AM

I like to use shifters even in S mode

dmahon 08-07-2017 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigHUN (Post 25018215)
I like to use shifters even in S mode

In S mode is the best way to use them.... its crazy good fun putting the car in dynamic S mode, use the shift paddles to changes gears and drive the A4 like its meant to be driven!

ODIE-B9 08-07-2017 02:48 PM

stomping down on your gas pedal, referred to in your manual as the "kick down" is the same feature :)

VM 08-07-2017 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ODIE-B9 (Post 25018483)
stomping down on your gas pedal, referred to in your manual as the "kick down" is the same feature :)

The paddle shifter will downshift at your current throttle position (more or less - who knows given electronic throttle control). Stomping down on your gas pedal will get you to more or less wide open throttle.

Sevenspinner 08-08-2017 05:39 AM

I'm a pretty hardcore newbie to the concept of paddle shifters, and I'd love the opportunity to learn how mine work. Does anyone have a good primer for this? Seems like y'all are having fun. :)

hasht2 08-08-2017 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sevenspinner (Post 25018752)
I'm a pretty hardcore newbie to the concept of paddle shifters, and I'd love the opportunity to learn how mine work. Does anyone have a good primer for this? Seems like y'all are having fun. :)

Can you drive a manual?

Sevenspinner 08-08-2017 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by hasht2 (Post 25018765)
Can you drive a manual?

I cannot, but I'd love to learn. I've heard you kind of have to get a feel for it. Any tips? :)

hasht2 08-08-2017 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sevenspinner (Post 25018785)
I cannot, but I'd love to learn. I've heard you kind of have to get a feel for it. Any tips? :)

Well every car feels different, so it's pretty difficult to teach someone over the internet.

But the reason I ask, a manual will teach you the indicators of when and why to change gears and the effect it has on the engine.

Essentially, lower gears = more torque, less speed. So if you downshift, with a constant throttle, your speed will drop but your rpms will go up, making the car more responsive to acceleration.

When you're in Automatic, the transmission is going to try to keep the engine within certain RPM window (a little higher in S mode). Manually downshifting will rev the engine and torque and give you the ability to quickly accelerate, moreso than if you stay in a constant gear in Automatic. Without adding throttle, you can also downshift to slow down without braking, although the sensation may be a little disconcerting if you're not used to it.