A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

a few suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
The thing is, the "maximum load tire pressures" are the ones on the door jamb sticker. My tire shop, at least, takes the not-unreasonable view that cars should leave their shop with tires at the pressure on the door jamb sticker...
True. And I would think the vast majority of shops would follow that practice.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
True. And I would think the vast majority of shops would follow that practice.
Unfortunately, so do Audi dealerships. When I was working there, even my personal cars were delivered with exceptionally high pressure in them. I went back and questioned the tire tech and he said they just put the same pressure in every car for delivery, makes it quick and easy.

Needless to say, it wasnt long until AOA issued a tire pressure statement for every car at delivery. I guess enough people were complaining to corporate that there were issues. Anyway, I dont think that did much to correct the situation.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
One thing for sure, if you are riding around not fully loaded and are running the maximum load tire pressures you are experiencing a rougher ride than you need to be.
It is interesting that for my car the recommended pressure for the front tires is only 1 PSI different going from normal to full load. In my experience, the rears do not affect the ride quality so much as fronts do, so going from normal to full load pressure might not accept ride so much. As I have noted I actually feel the car rides better when I put 37 front/35 rear.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
The Owners Manual indicates "normal" pressure is 35/32 PSI front/rear for the 245/18 97H Pirelli's on my car (and I believe all US 2018 A4 Premium + Quattro A4's). What led you to do 30/28? I am not saying you are wrong, just curious.

I liked how it felt.. also it's a compromise between all seasons and
summer
Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
It is interesting that for my car the recommended pressure for the front tires is only 1 PSI different going from normal to full load. In my experience, the rears do not affect the ride quality so much as fronts do, so going from normal to full load pressure might not accept ride so much.
True. Little tweaks can make a difference.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to continue to beat this issue to death, but: I have long been intrigued by what people mean by a good ride. To me this means not having the body or interior parts rattling, the absence of thrashing, bashing impacts and such. For others it is the ability to ride on a rough road and not get any bouncing or up/down movements. I personally do not mind the car’s moving up and down as long as when it negotiates irregularities the impacts don’t shake anything loose or sound like that’s what is going on. I mention this because different personal definitions of “ride’ probably account for a lot of the difference in opinion reflected in the posts here. I had a 1967 VW Bug that probably gave a pretty jarring ride to some, but to me it was great because there was nothing to shake loose on the interior and always felt solid. “Solid” is probably what makes a “good ride” for me, so I am sure I perceive things a lot differently from those who want a long wheelbase, irregularity-minimizing stretch limo feel. I drove stretch limos for a few years in the 1990’s between “real jobs” and I know what that feels like. However, when the stretch hit a big bump and produced rattling window glass and sunroof noises I would think “it rides like a truck.” Different strokes,” they say.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a new 2023 A4 Quattro. I guess I have sport suspension. I can set it for Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, individual. Make sure you set tire pressure correctly. For my car 35F/ 32R is correct. The sticker in the door jam is for max load. What tires did car come with?

QUOTE=SkiingInABlueDream;25259650]I have a few suspension questions.

1. Sport suspension owners (regular Sport suspension, not the Adaptive): Would you describe, in any terms, your subjective impression of the car's ride quality, for everyday un-sporty point A-to-B driving.

2. Does anyone know, or know how I could find out:
a) What's the difference in spring rate between the A4 regular suspension and the Sport Pkg (not Sport+) suspension? I know Sport drops the car an inch, but Im curious specifically how much stiffer the springs are.
b) Do the non-sport and regular Sport (not S+) suspensions use the same or different shocks?

Here's why I'm asking, and my own answer to #1. I'm beginning to wonder if the sport suspension was a mistake for me. Here's how it feels to me: bouncy, fidgety, nervous. I would not describe it as harsh, jarring or punishing. The car does a fine job absorbing what I think would be sharp impacts in a truly stiff car. The car never feels like it's getting torn apart in bumps. (That said I believe I do a good job avoiding stuff too...) What frustrates me about the ride is, I feel pencil size cracks in the road; pointless, quarter-inch amplitude humps and dips; every tiny wave that's invisible unless the road is wet and reflecting light at just the right angle. It all gets transmitted right up through the seat. Even at parking lot speeds. And on the highway after a couple hours, it becomes an exhausting anti-symphony of low-amplitude jouncing in the seat. It's unnecessary feedback. (And ironically, the front of the car ie the steering system has zero feedback. Mixed personalities lol!) So yeah, Im wondering if I would have been happier with the non-cool non-sport-suspension car!

Some may recall I had started an earlier thread about vibration. The reason Im starting a new thread instead of bumping that one is, I currently suspect I don't have any vibration issue from within the car. The suspension may just be transmitting more than I care to feel. Lacking opportunity to do extended rides with knowledgeable passengers, I'm asking for ppl's impressions here to see if theirs match or contradict mine.

I'm getting a first oil change on Friday and will have a loaner for the day. Assuming it's an A4/5 with the non-sport suspension, I'll plan to some extra road time in that car for comparison.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-08-2023, 06:36 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikM
I have a new 2023 A4 Quattro. I guess I have sport suspension. I can set it for Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, individual.
You may not have sport suspension...

"Drive select" (that thing with comfort/auto/dynamic/individual) does not adjust the suspension unless you have the very optional and very rare adaptive suspension. (Technically I believe there are two adaptive suspension options offered around the world) If you go into individual, do you see an option for suspension? If not, then it means you don't have adaptive suspension...
Old 05-11-2023, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

"I guess I have", there's no need to be guessing. Look at the vehicle identification sticker in your owner's manual. In the list of PR codes should be a 1B_ or 2M_ code, which specifies exactly which suspension you have.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Fwiw, I have the 1BE sports suspension on my 2018 and the 1BA standard suspension on my 2017 - both A4 PP. The sports suspension is noticeably stiffer, though I wouldn't quite call it harsh - just "firm". It's enjoyable around town, but I do chose the '17 for highway trips - the perpetual bumps/cracks on northeast highways get old quickly.

Quick Reply: a few suspension questions