A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Film on inside of windshield and rear window

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Film on inside of windshield and rear window

I've had my '18 A4 for just about 10 weeks now and have put 2,500 miles on it. Since day one there has been a film on the inside of the front windshield and rear window. I have cleaned them several times, but the film returns within a day or so. Years ago there was an issue with cars coming from overseas having their heater/air distribution components coated with something to protect them from corrosion and such at sea. I thought that no longer happened. In fact none of my new Audi’s (5 of them) since 2006 had this issue. This particular one is the only car I have had in the last 30 years or so to have this. Old VW Bugs were known for this and only the passage of time and eventual disbursement of the coating led to a clear window. Any ideas what it is and what I could do. With the first service 7,500 miles away and the dealer close to 75 mile away I am hoping not to have to make a special trip for this. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. I have had my car for 6,200 miles (about 19 months since delivery) and I feel like I have never been able to get the inside of the front and back windows sufficiently clean and streak free. I have tried all manner of cleaners, including going over them multiple times with streak free (non-ammonia) formulas, but to no avail. It is plausible to think it is caused by some kind of component off-gassing. This is not the first Audi I have owned but I have to say that this issue has been the most pronounced in this B9 A4.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's off gassing of the plastics. Acura and Audi/VW are horrible for this in my experience. I have a garage to park in so my "solution" was to leave the windows open and clean regularly with Stoner Invisible Glass and a clean microfiber. I clean the glass and then I rub it with a different clean microfiber. Seems to build up over a month or so, especially when hot/humid, and humidity makes the film quite visible.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks - sort of what I suspected. Off-gassing? Maybe that's me doing it? lol
Humidity sure does magnify the effect

Old 10-07-2018, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car was supplied with a filthy inside to the windscreen, the dealership paid for a full detail...
Old 10-08-2018, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I've had my '18 A4 for just about 10 weeks now and have put 2,500 miles on it. Since day one there has been a film on the inside of the front windshield and rear window. I have cleaned them several times, but the film returns within a day or so. Years ago there was an issue with cars coming from overseas having their heater/air distribution components coated with something to protect them from corrosion and such at sea.
I've had my Allroad about 7 months now (about 5800 mi) and I've noticed it too. The good news is it's becoming less troublesome over time: sure seems like out-gassing.

I've generally found Stoner's Invisible Glass to be reasonably effective, but not perfect.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks - sort of what I suspected. Off-gassing? Maybe that's me doing it? lol
Humidity sure does magnify the effect
Sorry but if it was there from day one then the dealership prep wasn't very good..
Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I've had my '18 A4 for just about 10 weeks now and have put 2,500 miles on it. Since day one there has been a film on the inside of the front windshield and rear window. I have cleaned them several times, but the film returns within a day or so. Years ago there was an issue with cars coming from overseas having their heater/air distribution components coated with something to protect them from corrosion and such at sea. I thought that no longer happened. In fact none of my new Audi’s (5 of them) since 2006 had this issue. This particular one is the only car I have had in the last 30 years or so to have this. Old VW Bugs were known for this and only the passage of time and eventual disbursement of the coating led to a clear window. Any ideas what it is and what I could do. With the first service 7,500 miles away and the dealer close to 75 mile away I am hoping not to have to make a special trip for this. Thanks.
I've had my B9 for two and a half years now, and I notice that the window filming has become more prevalent in the last six months or so. It's really annoying. And I don't use any products like Armor All on the inside, which I heard exacerbates things.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, that's off gassing from the plastic. Best way to clean it is a 50/50 solution of 90% alcohol and water. Don't bother with commercial cleaners. The alcohol/water solution removes it streak free.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, that's off gassing from the plastic. Best way to clean it is a 50/50 solution of 90% alcohol and water. Don't bother with commercial cleaners. The alcohol/water solution removes it streak free.
I have an odd film or shiloutte on the outside of my windshield that doesn't seem to come off with washing or a couple different window cleaners I've tried. Basically it looks hazy in the spots where the wipers don't hit, but only from certain angles or lighting.
​​I noticed it after a trip to the mountains where it was days of super heavy snow and I used the wipers and wiper fluid a ton. After that trip I started to notice this film after I wash it and bring it into the garage under light. Maybe it salt residue or residue from the windshield wiper fluid?

Do you have any recommendations for trying to clean this off?

Quick Reply: Film on inside of windshield and rear window