A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Film on inside of windshield and rear window

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
I have an odd film or shiloutte on the outside of my windshield that doesn't seem to come off with washing or a couple different window cleaners I've tried. Basically it looks hazy in the spots where the wipers don't hit, but only from certain angles or lighting.
​​I noticed it after a trip to the mountains where it was days of super heavy snow and I used the wipers and wiper fluid a ton. After that trip I started to notice this film after I wash it and bring it into the garage under light. Maybe it salt residue or residue from the windshield wiper fluid?

Do you have any recommendations for trying to clean this off?
Try detailing clay. Use car wash soap/water for lube. Rub the glass with clay after wetting with soap/water. Turn and kneed the clay as it gets dirty just like you would if you were doing the paint.

I like to apply rainx after I clean the windshield like this.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
I have an odd film or shiloutte on the outside of my windshield that doesn't seem to come off with washing or a couple different window cleaners I've tried. Basically it looks hazy in the spots where the wipers don't hit, but only from certain angles or lighting.
​​I noticed it after a trip to the mountains where it was days of super heavy snow and I used the wipers and wiper fluid a ton. After that trip I started to notice this film after I wash it and bring it into the garage under light. Maybe it salt residue or residue from the windshield wiper fluid?

Do you have any recommendations for trying to clean this off?
Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
Try detailing clay. Use car wash soap/water for lube. Rub the glass with clay after wetting with soap/water. Turn and kneed the clay as it gets dirty just like you would if you were doing the paint.

I like to apply rainx after I clean the windshield like this.
Claying may work. I actually use the 50/50 alcohol /water solution on all the glass inside and out. It has removed pretty much everything over time. Not everything comes off the first time, but after a while it seem to come off. I had film on the outside from the wipers in the past and so far this approach has worked best for me. I now ask my indy and dealer not to clean the class as most commercial cleaners leave some kind of a film behind and it takes me a while to get it off completely using alcohol and water.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Claying may work. I actually use the 50/50 alcohol /water solution on all the glass inside and out. It has removed pretty much everything over time. Not everything comes off the first time, but after a while it seem to come off. I had film on the outside from the wipers in the past and so far this approach has worked best for me. I now ask my indy and dealer not to clean the class as most commercial cleaners leave some kind of a film behind and it takes me a while to get it off completely using alcohol and water.
What kind of achohol ...regular rubbing or denature .....
Old 10-10-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Donald Bruno
I've read that using a 50/50 mixture of water and denatured alcohol in a spray bottle is an excellent window cleaner.
Some say to use crumbled up newspaper to clean the mixture while on the glass, and then use a clean newspaper to polish the glass.
Others say that microfiber towels work just as well. Use one to clean the wet glass, and a clean dry one to polish.

I'll be trying this myself as I too have that dreaded interior glass film.
My BMWs were never this bad.

Also, check your AC settings in "vehicle settings".
There is a box to check for auto recirculation.
I believe this setting is to allow the system to shut off outside fresh air when the system detects pollutants.
I turned this auto function off.
This should be a button on the HVAC controls and not inside the MMI settings menu.
Oh well.

Last edited by TT-S4; 10-11-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Donald Bruno
Rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl), but 91% not the usual 70%.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-S4
I've read that using a 50/50 mixture of water and denatured alcohol in a spray bottle is an excellent window cleaner.
Some say to use crumbled up newspaper to clean the mixture while on the glass, and then use a clean newspaper to polish the glass.
Others say that microfiber towels work just as well. Use one to clean the wet glass, and a clean dry one to polish.

I'll be trying this myself as I too have that dreaded interior glass film.
My BMWs were never this bad.

Also, check you AC settings in "vehicle settings".
There is a box to check for auto recirculation.
I believe this setting is to allow the system to shut off outside fresh air when the system detects pollutants.
I turned this auto function off.
This should be a button on the HVAC controls and not inside the MMI settings menu.
Oh well.
the button above 'off' on right of hvac controls is the recirculation button, on/off
Old 10-10-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TT-S4
Just expanding on my post above. Haven't heard using denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives. Ethanol leaves behind oil traces. Isopropyl is a better solvent, evaporates quicker and leaves nearly zero oil traces compared to ethanol. Isopropyl is especially good at dissolving oils, which is what ends up on the outside of the windshield from road grime and the plastic gasses on the inside.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If you search YouTube for the Chris Fix Windshield Cleaning method, you'll find a quick and easy way to clean the film off the inside of the windshield. I've used it and if works great.

Edit: here it is

Last edited by gguy; 10-11-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Krendor
the button above 'off' on right of hvac controls is the recirculation button, on/off
That's the manual recirc button.
The one in the MMI settings is for the "auto" feature.

In my BMW's the auto and manual settings were on the HVAC section.
Looks like Audi put the "auto" setting in MMI for whatever reason.

With "auto" checked to be on, even if one manually selects recirc on or off the system will automatically select recirc when the system is programmed to do so, thus overriding the manual setting.
When the air is clear again it will, should, automatically go back to open/fresh air.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Just expanding on my post above. Haven't heard using denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives. Ethanol leaves behind oil traces. Isopropyl is a better solvent, evaporates quicker and leaves nearly zero oil traces compared to ethanol. Isopropyl is especially good at dissolving oils, which is what ends up on the outside of the windshield from road grime and the plastic gasses on the inside.

Personal experiences obviously vary.
I've never tried any type of diluted alcohol for cleaning windows.
Doing some reading I've seen recommendations for both denatured and isopropyl.

Your experience is certainly valid and appreciated.

Quick Reply: Film on inside of windshield and rear window