A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Finally, another lease-end option

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Sorry no interest at all. I came over to Audi camp as a very loyal Acura defector in large part because the aesthetics of the then current Acura offerings (2014/15) were awful as compared to the TLs from 1999-2008. The Model 3 to my eye is not pleasing considerations of reliability and range anxiety aside. I commend them for their trailblazing but I'm not ready to give up the ICE. Drive a first generation Acura NSX with a manual transmission and an 8,000 rpm redline (think of it as the precursor to the Audi R8) and you'll understand. With my light foot I can do anywhere between 24 and 27 mpg city where I live and anywhere between 30 and 36 mpg highway in the A4. That's good enough for me at the moment. While electric seems to be the wave of the future it obviously is not "zero emissions." I do like the bigger Tesla however but not willing to pay the price of admission.

Best,
Jeff
Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides my weekend fun car ('91 Jeep Wrangler), this A4 is my last combustion car. I really, really wish Audi would speed up their EV process. I'd also be happy with a hybrid Audi that could get, say, 40 miles on electric only. That would cover my daily commute.

I might just get a Tesla 3.

Edit: having said that. I REALLY appreciate Audi's interiors. It's a major factor in my commute: a nice place to be stuck.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Two personal observations about electric vehicles:
1) In major urban areas (like NYC) where the range limitations of electric vehicles are not an issue, the inability of apartment dwellers to charge their vehicles in their garages (like suburban and rural drivers can do) limits the desirability of electric vehicles.
2) For me my local day-to-day trips are well within the range limits of most electric vehicles. These are also the trips where I do not really care emotionally about what car I am driving. When I go on a vacation trip, to a sports car race, etc. that is when I want a nice, great driving car like my A4. However, that would also be the time when the length of the trip (usually 280-350 miles each way) would rule out an electric car. What it would come down to is that I’d own a blah every-day electric car and have to rent for the few (5 to 8) long trips I take each a year.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Is it me or does it look like a frog from the front 3/4 view? I just think its so ugly and I get range anxiety thinking about any electric car.
Haha. That's exactly what I think whenever I see model 3 and the range anxiety.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Besides my weekend fun car ('91 Jeep Wrangler), this A4 is my last combustion car. I really, really wish Audi would speed up their EV process. I'd also be happy with a hybrid Audi that could get, say, 40 miles on electric only. That would cover my daily commute.

I might just get a Tesla 3.

Edit: having said that. I REALLY appreciate Audi's interiors. It's a major factor in my commute: a nice place to be stuck.
A6 , Q5 are getting plug in hybrids with 25 mile range
Old 03-01-2019, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Is it me or does it look like a frog from the front 3/4 view? I just think its so ugly and I get range anxiety thinking about any electric car.
Agree about the styling; it has a low hood and a tall windshield, creating a "bubbly" clown car effect from the front. Regardless, Tesla announced that it is shutting down most of its stores, so buyers will have to order online without the luxury of a test drive.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Agree about the styling; it has a low hood and a tall windshield, creating a "bubbly" clown car effect from the front. Regardless, Tesla announced that it is shutting down most of its stores, so buyers will have to order online without the luxury of a test drive.
That's interesting. Why would they do that? Are the (relatively few) dealerships that expensive to maintain?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a move to reduce costs so they could price the base model at 35k like Elon promised. However they bumped the trial period to 7 days/1000 miles. He even joked someone could buy a model 3, take a weekend trip with the family, and turn it back in. No questions asked.

People like to clown Tesla. But they're really doing some innovative stuff and approaching cars from a refreshing angle.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree. Tesla has got a lot going for it. But like the others mentioned, range anxiety is a big thing. And I’ve seen very few chargers and no super chargers where I’m at. So yea. Let’s see how that goes.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Teslas definitely do not compare in interior quality compared to gasoline rivals. And the moment I saw the giant tablet, Model 3 became something I would never consider. Still hoping for a good electric car though. Range anxiety does not bother me. I can just charge it in my garage every evening. And for the long trips, rental? keep ICE car? There are few options.

Quick Reply: Finally, another lease-end option