A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Fuel consumption at idle... A problem?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had stop/start for a few years now. Love it, but it would be great if it was a bit smoother on my TDI. I guess diesel is always going to be a bit of a rough start up though.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanwarner
Hi guys,

The grey bar is all the way to the right. You would think it would be very small. Can someone check their consumption at idle and tell me if this normal?

Ryan
The grey bar has nothing to do with fuel consumption. It's reading alternator output in amps per hour. That's why there's a green battery next to it. The alternator is engaged during deceleration or at idle to charge the battery. It's disengaged during acceleration for faster acceleration and better fuel economy..

Last edited by up-n-coming; 02-24-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ryanwarner
...Oh yea, forget to say that I have a 2.0 liter TDI quattro.

Ryan
Hey !!! Where did you got that TDi?
I was looking for it here in Canada for over two years to renew my VW TDi, but these southern EPA whatever bs stories just scared the diezel away from the continent...

So I ended up with this petrol car....the A4 is fantastic, but oh maaan Im missing that torque (and that fuel consumption)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bigHUN
I was looking for it here in Canada for over two years to renew my VW TDi, but these southern EPA whatever bs stories just scared the diezel away from the continent...

So I ended up with this petrol car....the A4 is fantastic, but oh maaan Im missing that torque (and that fuel consumption)
Canada follows the EPA's emission standards... so that means that when VW cheated, they cheated in both countries.

Have you read the articles about how the diesel craze in Europe destroyed air quality in Paris, London, etc?
Old 02-24-2017, 04:46 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike60564
The unit is not l/hr, it is l/km.
I wish there was a L/hr display in the virtual cockpit... might make me feel better about the awful L/100km numbers in city traffic...
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigHUN

I live in Finland. The car is absolutely perfect. Such a smooth delivery of power. Fuel consumption is reasonable, but Finland gets you wth a diesel tax that makes driving it cost about the same as a gas one. Diesel is cheaper by about 20 cents a liter here.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
And thats exactly why they created the start/stop system. So theres no consumption when stopped. Go on, lets all do a collective "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh".
Exactly. I have turned it off previously but started using it today thanks to this thread.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm waiting for someone to do a comparison in fuel efficiency with and without the start stop system. Like use it for one month and then switch it off for one month. I wonder what the difference will be.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I'm waiting for someone to do a comparison in fuel efficiency with and without the start stop system. Like use it for one month and then switch it off for one month. I wonder what the difference will be.
I had read that start/stop systems give a 5% increase in mpg, I'll try to find the reference.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Highly depends on the situation. If your driving involves a lot of sitting idle at traffic lights and you don't run you HVAC, then you could see 10% or higher improvement in mpg. But if your driving doesn't involve a lot of idling or you are running the HVAC constantly the savings will be more in the 3% neighborhood. Edmunds did a test a few years back.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...save-fuel.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel consumption at idle... A problem?