A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2020: hole where mmi controls used to be

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2020: hole where mmi controls used to be

I am in the US and currently have a 2017 A4 premium plus. I’m about to take delivery of a 2020 A4 premium plus. The 2020 has a giant gap/indentation in the center console (in front of the shifter where the older mmi controls used to be). It bothers me more than it should — so much I almost don’t want to buy the car.

Here’s the strange part: some vehicles I’ve seen (photos and YouTube) have a plastic piano black cover over this giant indentation; others (including mine) do not.

From what I’ve been able to deduce, the US models are left uncovered (first photo) but non-US models are covered (second photo). Does anyone know if that’s correct and, if so, if it’s possible to install the cover on my US model?

Old 07-09-2020, 01:53 PM
cue
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You should be able to source the OEM cover from an overseas vendor like e-acca.com
The following users liked this post:
festball (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can find that non US top trim finish plate I'd be surprised if it didn't fit. Will probably be easier to find as time goes on. Installing it should be totally doable once you get the part. I'd be looking to do the same thing if I had a 2020
The following users liked this post:
festball (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I poked around on the Audi Germany website. The compartment is open even in other markets. You can see the interior picture here.

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...interieur.html

and it's covered if the car has the S-line interior, which appears not to be available in the USA currently.

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...r.GWQSWQS.html

It's actually not just a cover. It's a different slightly smaller compartment if it's covered, so it seems to be more involved to change it out, but basically you need the S-line interior center console to get it.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I poked around on the Audi Germany website. The compartment is open even in other markets. You can see the interior picture here.

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...interieur.html

and it's covered if the car has the S-line interior, which appears not to be available in the USA currently.

https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuw...r.GWQSWQS.html

It's actually not just a cover. It's a different slightly smaller compartment if it's covered, so it seems to be more involved to change it out, but basically you need the S-line interior center console to get it.
Interesting - thanks for looking at that. The vehicle in the first photo in my original post has the s-line interior package (US) but still no covered compartment. It seems odd that Audi would take such a big shortcut in such an obvious spot.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by festball
Interesting - thanks for looking at that. The vehicle in the first photo in my original post has the s-line interior package (US) but still no covered compartment. It seems odd that Audi would take such a big shortcut in such an obvious spot.
Superswiss is correct that in European trims, the $2000 S line interior package does include the covered compartment. Perhaps as they are only charging $500 in the US for this option, which seems very low, they are trying to claw some margin back?

But the interior photos of the car on the US configurator (without S line interior) are showing the covered compartment, regardless which trim version is selected. Seems a bit of a mess.

Also, the second photo you showed is a B9 model without an S line interior. In Europe, the option required to get the covered compartment is called "Gloss black accented surfaces". Standard is matt black, and this lacks the cover. It is a $170 option.

Source: Audi.de
Old 07-09-2020, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Superswiss is correct that in European trims, the $2000 S line interior package does include the covered compartment. Perhaps as they are only charging $500 in the US for this option, which seems very low, they are trying to claw some margin back?

But the interior photos of the car on the US configurator (without S line interior) are showing the covered compartment, regardless which trim version is selected. Seems a bit of a mess.

Also, the second photo you showed is a B9 model without an S line interior. In Europe, the option required to get the covered compartment is called "Gloss black accented surfaces". Standard is matt black, and this lacks the cover. It is a $170 option.

Source: Audi.de
Seems like you guys solved the mystery! I wish I had the option here in the US. I’d pay $2k for that cover alone
Old 07-10-2020, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I wish Audi had decided to turn the cupholders around 90 degrees so that they would be on the side of the console. Then if you had a tall drink or bottle, you wouldn't have to put it up against the dash where it would hit up against the dash buttons. They could have put a long, narrow compartment next to the cupholders, suitable for holding a wallet or a phone or something.
The following 3 users liked this post by A4Driver:
Aviator6 (12-19-2020), festball (07-10-2020), Tesla1856 (12-20-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 06:26 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I wish Audi had decided to turn the cupholders around 90 degrees so that they would be on the side of the console. Then if you had a tall drink or bottle, you wouldn't have to put it up against the dash where it would hit up against the dash buttons. They could have put a long, narrow compartment next to the cupholders, suitable for holding a wallet or a phone or something.
Isn't the Q5 that way?
Old 07-10-2020, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Isn't the Q5 that way?
Our 2019 Q5 cupholders are right in front of the center console. If you slide the re-charging tray forward, it blocks the cupholder. At least it's away from the radio and hvac switches.

Quick Reply: 2020: hole where mmi controls used to be