A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Earth Going Away in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel that I'll purchase something new by December 2020, but it still doesn't please me to know this. Those beautiful screens are always set on navigation with Google Earth.

My fiance and I had considered downgrading the Giulia to another Audi (50-60k) to save a little money. Will definitely go with another brand or hold what we have instead.

..and although I don't use it much, after reading another thread I had to run out to a car to verify that Street View no longer works. :-(
Old 02-11-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they will offer the other features without Google Earth for a reasonable monthly price. Right now I just don’t think it’s worth it at $30/month. I’d gladly pay $10/month for just the traffic and google voice search ability.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

With 33 months till death of the infamous google earth, Can someone please confirm Google street view still works, can't get mine to work since the 2018 map update months back.

thanks.

Last edited by Bestcar17; 03-10-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
With 33 months till death of the infamous google earth, Can someone please confirm Google street view still works, can't get mine to work since the 2018 map update months back.

thanks.
Nope, seems to have been silently discontinued. I know it was working in my car, but in response to somebody's similar post I tried it again a while ago and it wasn't working anymore. My guess is few people knew that feature was there in the first place. It's not completely gone, though, I'm still getting the small street view of the destination as I approach. I know that feature has been discontinued on the new MMIs, but it sill seems to work with the 3G Plus.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Nope, seems to have been silently discontinued. I know it was working in my car, but in response to somebody's similar post I tried it again a while ago and it wasn't working anymore. My guess is few people knew that feature was there in the first place. It's not completely gone, though, I'm still getting the small street view of the destination as I approach. I know that feature has been discontinued on the new MMIs, but it sill seems to work with the 3G Plus.
Thanks you superswiss.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks.
Still working fine in the UK, map updates will not turn on or off features. Possibly issues with the servers as we had an outage for a few days then it came back...

Last edited by cuke2u; 03-12-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Still working fine in the UK, map updates will not turn on or off features. Possibly issues with the servers as we had an outage for a few days then it came back...
Yes, Google street view is discontinue in the US, Source Audi connect.

I feel cheated that a company can change a feature listed in the manual, all while i'm paying $199 for it, not telling the customer, and get away with it.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There was fine print similar to the Google Earth sunset statement about Street View ending in Dec 2017, buried so that nobody but the most detail-oriented would see it. I remember seeing it, but I didn't have my car yet and would never actually see the feature in practice.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
There was fine print similar to the Google Earth sunset statement about Street View ending in Dec 2017, buried so that nobody but the most detail-oriented would see it. I remember seeing it, but I didn't have my car yet and would never actually see the feature in practice.
Oh really, I did not know that, thanks.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Google street view is discontinue in the US, Source Audi connect.

I feel cheated that a company can change a feature listed in the manual, all while i'm paying $199 for it, not telling the customer, and get away with it.
Agreed. While I love the car, this Google Earth and Street View elimination is very disingenuous on the part of Audi USA. I just bought my S5 SB in late October and both Google Earth and Street View were heavily touted as Audi exclusive tech features by the sales and tech guys. There was never any mention of them going away. I just checked and Street View does appear to be gone - so I had a touted feature for 2 months on a $70K car? That's a luxury experience?

To me, for a company that is trying to recover from their TDI cheating scandal, this is very dishonest marketing - Google Earth in the Virtual Cockpit is still featured prominently in Audi print and television ads. As a first time Audi owner, I am going to call and voice my displeasure at their shady sales/marketing tactics and let them know my opinion of their brand somewhat lessened and will be a factor in my next car purchase.

Quick Reply: Google Earth Going Away in 2021?