A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Map Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Map Mode

I'm still getting acquainted with all of the A4 features, but I wanted to ask if any of you have had an issue with the virtual cockpit, unexpectedly switching to regular maps instead of google maps upon start-up? On a couple of occasions, I've had to set VC back to google maps.

Could it be that satellite communication could not be established at start-up? Maybe I answered my own question.

Anyway, have any of you experienced this?

(yes I did try searching)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you answered your own question.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018 A4
I'm still getting acquainted with all of the A4 features, but I wanted to ask if any of you have had an issue with the virtual cockpit, unexpectedly switching to regular maps instead of google maps upon start-up? On a couple of occasions, I've had to set VC back to google maps.

Could it be that satellite communication could not be established at start-up? Maybe I answered my own question.

Anyway, have any of you experienced this?

(yes I did try searching)
It is not satellite communications but cellular communication that you need for Google Maps. If you have a poor cellular connection the maps will revert to standard. The car's cellular connection strength is reported at the bottom of the center display screen in the typical rising bar graph.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
It is not satellite communications but cellular communication that you need for Google Maps. If you have a poor cellular connection the maps will revert to standard. The car's cellular connection strength is reported at the bottom of the center display screen in the typical rising bar graph.
thank you
Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you a well, as I had the same question :-)

My only beef is the ridiculous pricing Audi wants to re-new the Google subscription - $499???

That's absurd.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_WPB
Thank you a well, as I had the same question :-)

My only beef is the ridiculous pricing Audi wants to re-new the Google subscription - $499???

That's absurd.
Use Google maps on Apple carplay/Android auto and enable satellite view( won't show up on virtual cockpit).
Also you can lock/unlock car with myAudi app without subscription.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by samsj
Also you can lock/unlock car with myAudi app without subscription.
Are you sure about this? On my 18 S4, those are the only things that are still available in my app after I let the subscription lapse -- but -- if I try to use them, they eventually time out and say "Vehicle cannot be reached"

Old 01-28-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNY
Are you sure about this? On my 18 S4, those are the only things that are still available in my app after I let the subscription lapse -- but -- if I try to use them, they eventually time out and say "Vehicle cannot be reached"
Yes. But you're welcome to check for yourself on MyAudi (Connect Services) and the license expiration date in your car (go through Audi Connect). My expiration date for lock/unlock, along with a few other things like Car Finder, are good for 10 years. You also have to use the new MyAudi app - the old MMI Connect app has an issue that leads it to fail every time except right after you launch the app.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't gone back to use the app since the 6 month trial end.
Looks the previous MMI connect app (need paid subscription) was replaced by myAudi app and looks the lock/unlock function is in the new myAudi app.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
I haven't gone back to use the app since the 6 month trial end.
Looks the previous MMI connect app (need paid subscription) was replaced by myAudi app and looks the lock/unlock function is in the new myAudi app.
They both had it, but like I said, it just worked once in the MMI Connect app and would fail every time after that. If you killed the app and restarted it, it would again work exactly once. That was fixed in the MyAudi app, and it's the only one that's currently support. It is evidently missing some other features (Wifi music player, I hear), so I mention the lock/unlock caveat because some folks may just stick with the old app.

Quick Reply: Google Map Mode