A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google traffic Audi connect vs Google Maps app

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Google traffic Audi connect vs Google Maps app

Is it just me or does the Google traffic, live through Audi Connect through to the Nav MMI not match the traffic through the Google Maps app (through iPhone for me)?

The Google Maps app seems spot on most of the time, yet the Audi MMI seems to struggle, particularly on smaller roads. It also doesn't seem to reroute as smartly around traffic compared to the app, plus others like Waze and TomTom.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debanks
Is it just me or does the Google traffic, live through Audi Connect through to the Nav MMI not match the traffic through the Google Maps app (through iPhone for me)?

The Google Maps app seems spot on most of the time, yet the Audi MMI seems to struggle, particularly on smaller roads. It also doesn't seem to reroute as smartly around traffic compared to the app, plus others like Waze and TomTom.

Any thoughts?
Hi,
I had made exactly the same remark in another forum but I did not get many reaction. I have noticed that MMI does not pick up all the small changes (works, closed road) as good as Google Map app. I start noticing it as the highway entry near my place has been closed for work (18months ago) at the beginning I thought that was because MMI has static maps but 2 updates later same things. Both Google Maps and Waze make a smart re-route while mu MMI still trying to push me to this dead-end.

Did you in the meanwhile find a solution?

Cheers,
Stefano
Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stegal
Hi,
I had made exactly the same remark in another forum but I did not get many reaction. I have noticed that MMI does not pick up all the small changes (works, closed road) as good as Google Map app. I start noticing it as the highway entry near my place has been closed for work (18months ago) at the beginning I thought that was because MMI has static maps but 2 updates later same things. Both Google Maps and Waze make a smart re-route while mu MMI still trying to push me to this dead-end.

Did you in the meanwhile find a solution?

Cheers,
Stefano
Update--> just saw a comment in another post of this forum where someone stated that MMI has just a google heart overlap over a Inrix navigation system. Some said it is better that google someone said the opposite, but now at least we know they are 2 different system which explain the different routes proposed
Old 12-17-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The maps and nav instructions are based on HERE (a conglomerate of a several German car companies - https://www.here.com/), the traffic is via INRIX, and the satellite view is just a graphic overlay from Google Earth.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe that GMaps and Waze are better at traffic and rerouting than MMI. I do like to enter my destination in both MMI and Waze so I can keep my eye on both.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The MMI only reroutes if it saves you ~5+ minutes so it won't be as aggressive as Waze or Google Maps when it comes to taking random side streets.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The MMI only reroutes if it saves you ~5+ minutes so it won't be as aggressive as Waze or Google Maps when it comes to taking random side streets.
What I am experiencing is that somehow some "details" are not picked up by MMI (HERE+Irix, whatever). I give you some examples:
1) In a street near but it has been 4 yeast it is not possible to make U-turn as they made a road delimiter (basically there are plants and threes. MMI keeps telling me to go through it
2) The ramp to access the highway is closed for work (18 months and counting) after few hrs from the ramp closing Waze was proposing rerouting one day later Google map also picked it up...MMI still want me to go there

Is there a way to update MMI info so that he will be aligned with the real world?

Thanks for any tips
Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinB656
I believe that GMaps and Waze are better at traffic and rerouting than MMI. I do like to enter my destination in both MMI and Waze so I can keep my eye on both.
That s the way I found out that something was not right with MMI. But to be honest having two voces telling me what to do and often telling opposite things got me bit dizy after a while, I d rather prefer to stick with one. So far I am connecting google map app from my gsm as I found GUI much more neat and tidy...till I will find a way to make MMI work better