Got my new A4 with 85 miles on it - AudiWorld Forums

A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new A4 with 85 miles on it

Old 06-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Got my new A4 with 85 miles on it

Ordered my new A4 premium plus with Technology package and cold weather package, Black with Brown interior. Dealer did not have one in stock and was told there was obe in Edison NJ. (I'm from Long Island NY) when i received the car one week later the car hsd 85 miles on it. I assumed the car would be put in a flat bed and delivered. The dealer said that would be and extra charge which was never offered. I'm concerned about the break in period which states no to go over two thirds of the max RPM. Told the dealer if my concerns and hhe ssid there is no break in period. Can some body shed some light and what should i do about complaints.
PPOPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOPHIL View Post
Ordered my new A4 premium plus with Technology package and cold weather package, Black with Brown interior. Dealer did not have one in stock and was told there was obe in Edison NJ. (I'm from Long Island NY) when i received the car one week later the car hsd 85 miles on it. I assumed the car would be put in a flat bed and delivered. The dealer said that would be and extra charge which was never offered. I'm concerned about the break in period which states no to go over two thirds of the max RPM. Told the dealer if my concerns and hhe ssid there is no break in period. Can some body shed some light and what should i do about complaints.
I would not worry about the break in period and max rpms - apparently it would have been driven over Autobahn speeds, not NJ Turnpike of Long Island Expressway speeds. And yeah, your dealer should have offered you the flatbed option, but that would have probably added several hundred dollars to your car. I don't know if other dealers would have eaten that cost. And yes, there is a breakin period and your salesperson should know that, if he doesn't know that - he should not be selling cars, if he does know that he's a liar. Don;t get worked up about what is almost a non-issue, enjoy your A4.
bob m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member

Totally agree with Bob. Most dealerships use part-time, retired folks for these transports as there is no way of knowing when or how many of these chores will come up. They don't use any teenage drivers!!
Aviator6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator6 View Post
Totally agree with Bob. Most dealerships use part-time, retired folks for these transports as there is no way of knowing when or how many of these chores will come up. They don't use any teenage drivers!!
Thanks for replying, and making me feel easier about my car not having the proper break in period and i agree the dealer should have let me know upfront how the car would be transported. He did say it was 67 year old man.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob m View Post
I would not worry about the break in period and max rpms - apparently it would have been driven over Autobahn speeds, not NJ Turnpike of Long Island Expressway speeds. And yeah, your dealer should have offered you the flatbed option, but that would have probably added several hundred dollars to your car. I don't know if other dealers would have eaten that cost. And yes, there is a breakin period and your salesperson should know that, if he doesn't know that - he should not be selling cars, if he does know that he's a liar. Don;t get worked up about what is almost a non-issue, enjoy your A4.
Thanks for replying, and making me feel easier about my car not having the proper break in period and i agree the dealer should have let me know upfront how the car would be transported. He did say it was 67 year old man.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member

IIRC - and I swapped so many cars in the last year, my A4 had to be driven from another dealership in NJ too and arrived with some low mileage on it. Now, I'm very particular about my car and I specified "do not wash my car" because having any dealership do so, especially on a black car will result in fine swirls. Ok, it was raining anyhow so a wash wouldn't have been done anyhow maybe. Sooooooooooooooooo, after I signed the papers I opened the door only to find the interior had not been cleeaned and there was food crumbs all over the seat and floor and a couple of smudges on the wheel and door interior. It was - in the scheme of things not a big deal at all, but I lost it and did drag the manager out there and gave him a Brooklyn verbal butt kicking -ya know like "how the **** do you hand me a 50k car with crumbs and crap all over the inside" etc. etc. Of course at a later time I did apologize for my behavior. Point is both the 85 miles on your car and the messy interiors are/were non issues and just enjoy that A4.
But I would recommend - especially if this is a purchase, not a lease t learn how to wash and maintain your car's exterior.
bob m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob m View Post
IIRC - and I swapped so many cars in the last year, my A4 had to be driven from another dealership in NJ too and arrived with some low mileage on it. Now, I'm very particular about my car and I specified "do not wash my car" because having any dealership do so, especially on a black car will result in fine swirls. Ok, it was raining anyhow so a wash wouldn't have been done anyhow maybe. Sooooooooooooooooo, after I signed the papers I opened the door only to find the interior had not been cleeaned and there was food crumbs all over the seat and floor and a couple of smudges on the wheel and door interior. It was - in the scheme of things not a big deal at all, but I lost it and did drag the manager out there and gave him a Brooklyn verbal butt kicking -ya know like "how the **** do you hand me a 50k car with crumbs and crap all over the inside" etc. etc. Of course at a later time I did apologize for my behavior. Point is both the 85 miles on your car and the messy interiors are/were non issues and just enjoy that A4.
But I would recommend - especially if this is a purchase, not a lease t learn how to wash and maintain your car's exterior.
I agree with you that's the first thing I wanted to do was give him a piece of my mind but my wife would not allow me haha. Like I said I just want to make sure there's no internal damage and I could still go on with the break in period. I am enjoying the A4 love to handling. By the way anybody recommend a good wax for the vehicle
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member

I used to work at a dealer as a master tech. Alot of cars will come with miles on them. The higher end cars (R8) used to come off the trucks with 30-50 miles on them.

You have nothing to worry about. But, that's also why you have a warranty....

Someone can do more damage to the engine by flooring it when it's cold, short trips or running too long of oil change intervals than damage that would have happened in the first 85 miles.

It's not an old Harley or a 2 stroke.

Also, it's very common to dealer trade vehicles where the requesting dealer drives the car to swap it out. Trailering can get expensive and poses other risks and damage concerns.
Noggybowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggybowl View Post
I used to work at a dealer as a master tech. Alot of cars will come with miles on them. The higher end cars (R8) used to come off the trucks with 30-50 miles on them.

You have nothing to worry about. But, that's also why you have a warranty....

Someone can do more damage to the engine by flooring it when it's cold, short trips or running too long of oil change intervals than damage that would have happened in the first 85 miles.

It's not an old Harley or a 2 stroke.

Also, it's very common to dealer trade vehicles where the requesting dealer drives the car to swap it out. Trailering can get expensive and poses other risks and damage concerns.
thanks for your reply, I can only hope that the guy who drove my car from Edison New Jersey to Long Island New York didn't floor it. I don't think I had to worry about it being too cold and I will definitely change the oil probably before the 10,000 mile interval
Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOPHIL View Post
thanks for your reply, I can only hope that the guy who drove my car from Edison New Jersey to Long Island New York didn't floor it. I don't think I had to worry about it being too cold and I will definitely change the oil probably before the 10,000 mile interval
I guess maybe my point is, break in periods aren't quite the big deal that they once were. Tolerances are tighter, surfaces are better in the engine, etc....

I wouldn't get hung up on the miles on the car when delivered, I would be concerned with the quality of the car.

There are times DSG updates are done at the port or dealer and need to be taken on an adaptation test drive. Since it's an update, it can't be sold until it has all the latest software and any recalls that have come up done. That doesn't mean it's a bad car or that the break in is compromised. It means they found a better way to do something. It may or may not have been a issue you ever would have noticed. (Off topic, but why delivery miles don't matter to me.)

Don't get hung up on a number and have a poor dealer relationship. They will be the ones that can help you get additional things covered that maybe you accidentally broke or just want them to dig into a little deeper.

Also, it takes away from the fact that you have a new awesome car in your possession....
Noggybowl is offline   Reply With Quote