A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Grinding noise on startup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Grinding noise on startup.

It's been happening ever since I picked up my 2017 B9 A4 last December, but is very intermittent. Seems to be in the colder weather where I start my car after sitting for a while and it will make a grinding noise almost like the starter is staying stuck on for a second or 2 after the engine starts up. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they haven't been able to replicate it. The last time it was in they had it for 5 days trying to figure it out but couldn't find anything. I have a few videos of the noise that I sent them so they knew I wasn't crazy, but said that I have to monitor it and if it continues that I have to put my factory air intake back on and that they would get Audi Canada involved. I put the factory intake back on already to see if it would make any difference, but the noise still happens. I didn't think it would be related to the intake seeing as how there are no moving parts, but I thought because with the cold air intake you can hear more noise the factory intake might muffle the noise, but it wasn't the case. Attached is a video of the noise it's been making, any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (698.2 KB, 2300 views)
Old 01-02-2019, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Woodsie, ex-pat Torontonian now residing in Michigan here.

Does this car have a timing chain? We have a /18 A4 Quattro and also a /15 A6 3.0T. My 3.0T at 3 years old w/27,000 miles had both upper timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty (not too happy/impressed by this but that's another story along the lines of loss of faith in the product and now not inclined to hold onto either car much past warranty expiration). Reason I ask about timing chain is that upon viewing your video the noise is very similar to what I had in the A6. There is a TSB about this related to the A6 which I suspect you can find on line. The noise manifested itself only after the car sat for 3-4+ days. Less than that, no noise. Apparently the tensioners keep tension on the timing chain via oil pressure and the original tensioners were produced without a check valve such that if you let car sit more than a couple of days the oil would drain out of the tensioner and it would not exert proper tension on the timing chain upon initial start up. The noise on start up lasted a couple of seconds and sounded like machine gun fire. Again, very similar to your video clip. That noise is for sure not normal and if dealer can't figure it out they/you are right to involve Audi Canada. At the very least you have a record of this issue and should problems arise later related thereto hopefully Audi will look after you.

Good luck and I hope you get this sorted out.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm unable to watch the video, but based upon description I think my car did this today. Car sat all weekend ( unused for like 48 hours) in 40 degree f temperatures. Try yo start this morning and It started but the starting was accompanied by a grinding... almost like something heavy being dragged over gravel type sound.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Woodsie, ex-pat Torontonian now residing in Michigan here.

Does this car have a timing chain? We have a /18 A4 Quattro and also a /15 A6 3.0T. My 3.0T at 3 years old w/27,000 miles had both upper timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty (not too happy/impressed by this but that's another story along the lines of loss of faith in the product and now not inclined to hold onto either car much past warranty expiration). Reason I ask about timing chain is that upon viewing your video the noise is very similar to what I had in the A6. There is a TSB about this related to the A6 which I suspect you can find on line. The noise manifested itself only after the car sat for 3-4+ days. Less than that, no noise. Apparently the tensioners keep tension on the timing chain via oil pressure and the original tensioners were produced without a check valve such that if you let car sit more than a couple of days the oil would drain out of the tensioner and it would not exert proper tension on the timing chain upon initial start up. The noise on start up lasted a couple of seconds and sounded like machine gun fire. Again, very similar to your video clip. That noise is for sure not normal and if dealer can't figure it out they/you are right to involve Audi Canada. At the very least you have a record of this issue and should problems arise later related thereto hopefully Audi will look after you.

Good luck and I hope you get this sorted out.

Best,
Jeff
If it was timing chain related, wouldn't it run into more issues aside from the grinding? Wouldn't there be timing issues and running rough it is the timing chain skipping because of a loose tensioner? Or do you think it might be the timing chain "slapping" because of the lack of tension? and once the oil pressure builds up the noise stops. From what I think I read the 2.0T in the B9 cars is that from the A6 of last generation I think.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

This happened AGAIN to me this morning (last time about 2 months ago). It's a bit worrying. The car has been regularly used in the past few days. It's parked in a garage which I've yet to see drop below +6 deg Celcius (43 Fehrenheit).
It's a good description above "almost like something heavy being dragged over gravel type sound". It sounds very worrying to be honest.
Another way I can describe it is as though a bunch of missed cogs, as though they were mis-aligned when the engine was turned off and then on start it races to align itself.
I know the dealership will tell me "we can't replicate it" if I go... which is quite annoying.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's something to look at: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...d-Start-Rattle

Woodsie all I can tell you is that noise in your car very similar if not same as in my car. Take a look at link above and listen to the video/sound clip in one of the posts to see if similar/same as your car. From what I was told, the problem starts with the noise and no other symptoms -- it is the chain rattling around in the case until oil pressure builds and tension is exerted on the chain. The TSB is in the thread above and despite fact that Audi says no damage will be done my Acura tech of 30+ years experience views is differently (as did the tech and service manager at the Audi dealer), thus I had the job done under warranty per the TSB. A bit nervous to have engine surgery so early in car's life but was done and now 4,000 miles later everything has been fine. I hope you get this sorted out. Important to create the record with dealer obviously -- I had a video similar to yours and that was sufficient for my dealer to warranty the work. On the V6 this is a very expensive job at dealer (or anywhere for that matter) because the timing chains are at back of engine and some amount of disassembly is necessary.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The DMF? When my manual A3 petrol had a similar noise they replaced the flywheel. Even petrol auto's have them these days...
Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Woodsie, upon further thought if this is happening with some regularity suggest that you try and figure out the trigger for the noise. What I mean here is whether it happens only after you leave car sit for a number of days or below certain temperatures, etc. It may take some time to figure that out but once you do best course is to leave car at dealer and return after requisite number of days or when temperature is sufficiently low, etc. and fire up the car with the lead tech and the service writer standing there. My car made the noise consistently if car was left to sit for 4 or more days. Less than that, didn't make the noise.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in for my 20K service (just 16K on the clock however) so I reported this to my service writer. We'll see what they find. I have a loaner car and he hinted strongly that they might keep it for a few days so they can try to replicate the parameters surrounding my first encounter with the noise. We'll see. I bet they give it back and say they can't replicate it or find a problem.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
I'm in for my 20K service (just 16K on the clock however) so I reported this to my service writer. We'll see what they find. I have a loaner car and he hinted strongly that they might keep it for a few days so they can try to replicate the parameters surrounding my first encounter with the noise. We'll see. I bet they give it back and say they can't replicate it or find a problem.
As expected, no problem found. To be continued...

Quick Reply: Grinding noise on startup.