A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi

Old 05-23-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great info to a fellow Vancouverite 2017 A4 driver!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can someone confirm the following understanding?

The procedure in the first post of this thread will enable Google Earth "overlays", NOT Google Maps or the Google Maps routing engine.

The Google Earth overlays are exactly that - only satellite photo overlays. The actual mapping data, POIs and routing engine is still what shipped with the factory nav system and stored on its hard-drive; typically this data is several years old.

So while Google Earth overlays make the Virtual Cockpit look pretty, functionally they just ride on top of the underlying factory nav system mapping data.

The only way to get true up-to-date Google Maps such as what you get on a smartphone or PC is via an Android Auto connection to the Audi MMI; Apple CarPlay connections being locked to Apple Maps.

Is that correct?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup
Old 05-29-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The MMI Navigation Plus does not use Google Maps or Google Navigation. For all navigation the data sourced from Navtec/Nokia Here (now owned by Audi/BMW/Mercedes) and stored on the internal drive is used. Updated navigation data is released twice a year and available for download via my.audi.com. Once stored on SD card it can be installed in any car as long as the car is licensed for map updates. In the US the first 5 updates released after the factory installed version are free. Further updates may be included in an AudiConnect subscription or available as paid update via dealer. With an active AudiConnect subscription map updates can also be downloaded online via MMI but that stopped working for me with the 2017 release and I don't want to reset my MMI to possibly fix it.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys,

I was following the guide and was able to enable to connect hotspot on my mobile and get Google Earth overlay working. BUT it only works for 1 minute or 2 then the map goes back to standard view. I went back to map setting, tried to select Google Earth view but it just switched back to standard view setting instantly.

Anybody knows why ?
Old 06-29-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
Very interesting except that I can't find the details concerning what he did exactly.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24988003
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone been able to activate Sirius Traffic on a MY18? I have an A5 Sportback, which are MY18 and I called to activate the traffic, but the guy on the phone refused to do it because the MY18 are not "branded" yet.

This is obviously bull****, because if they can push the music to my car, there's no reason not to be able to push the traffic.

Also - I used the coding tweaks to run google earth overlays and it works flawlessly. So, thanks OP!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QballDS
Has anyone been able to activate Sirius Traffic on a MY18? I have an A5 Sportback, which are MY18 and I called to activate the traffic, but the guy on the phone refused to do it because the MY18 are not "branded" yet.

This is obviously bull****, because if they can push the music to my car, there's no reason not to be able to push the traffic.

Also - I used the coding tweaks to run google earth overlays and it works flawlessly. So, thanks OP!
I can explain this one. The agent likely isn't lying. There's a specific process to get the radioID into Sirius's system when the car is manufactured. It gets tied to the VIN at that point and passed to SiriusXM. Sometimes the communication between OEM's and SiriusXM isn't the fastest, especially with newer vehicle models, so if you call up and give the radioID to an agent it won't be "branded" as an Audi and the free service that's supposed to be tied to the VIN won't be available to them to give to you. They will instead put you onto a 3 month "Demo" mode to get you active. This mode will not allow them to activate additional services like traffic. Eventually, the data catches up and they trigger your official 3 month service. That's the point things are "branded".

Last edited by mmorais; 07-18-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmorais
I can explain this one. The agent likely isn't lying. There's a specific process to get the radioID into Sirius's system when the car is manufactured. It gets tied to the VIN at that point and passed to SiriusXM. Sometimes the communication between OEM's and SiriusXM isn't the fastest, especially with newer vehicle models, so if you call up and give the radioID to an agent it won't be "branded" as an Audi and the free service that's supposed to be tied to the VIN won't be available to them to give to you. They will instead put you onto a 3 month "Demo" mode to get you active. This mode will not allow them to activate additional services like traffic. Eventually, the data catches up and they trigger your official 3 month service. That's the point things are "branded".
Thanks very much for the explanation. I'm wondering if they will get this will catch up before my 3 month trial expires. My guess is not, and I'll have to buy Sirius + traffic in order to get it working at some point in late 2017 or early next year.

Ah well, Android Auto it is then.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QballDS
Thanks very much for the explanation. I'm wondering if they will get this will catch up before my 3 month trial expires. My guess is not, and I'll have to buy Sirius + traffic in order to get it working at some point in late 2017 or early next year.

Ah well, Android Auto it is then.
If this is the case for you you'll actually get more than 3 months. you'll go on demo mode and when they switch the radioID over to the plan with the car it will start the 3 months over (or should).

When did you get your car? Check your VIN on their lookup tool at SiriusXM VIN Lookup | SiriusXM.ca. If it gives you your radioID then all should be good. If you're on a demo vs the 3 months Audi service, the agent could change the plan to that.

I should throw in the caveat, if you're already on your Audi plan and it's branded properly, the agent could very well have been bull**ting you. lol. It's been quite a while since I was involved in SiriusXM so things could have changed but the phrase "not branded" points to the specific issue I detailed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by mmorais; 07-18-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi