AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/guide-enable-google-earth-traffic-canada-spec-audi-2912779/)

ekyp 01-16-2017 10:03 AM

Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi

I figured it would be a better idea to consolidate all the information founded by other members in one thread regarding enabling Sirius Traffic and Google Earth on a Canadian Spec Audi running the new MMI.

Canadian cars have no Audi connect features enabled from factory, we have the same hardware as the US cars, but the connected features are disabled via coding. So far, I've tried this on both my own 2017 A4 and the 2017 Facelifted A3 (Both Cdn Spec)

These instructions are not official and are just provided as a mean to share findings from the forum. Make sure you do a backup of the module coding/adaptation and proceed at your own risk :)

To enable Google Earth (this will require using your mobile phone's data connection as hotspot):

Step 1: Set the following adaptation in module 5F (this can be done by VagCOM HEX-CAN-USB or OBDEleven) :

IDE03471-ENG117848-Vehicle configuration-gracenote_online_coverarts - ON
IDE03471-ENG117849-Vehicle configuration-gracenote_online_other - ON
IDE03471-ENG117843-Vehicle configuration-my_audi - ON
IDE03471-ENG117845-Vehicle configuration-online_dictation - ON
IDE03471-ENG127495-Vehicle configuration-online_media - ON
IDE03471-ENG117840-Vehicle configuration-online_navigation - ON
IDE03471-ENG117837-Vehicle configuration-online_POI - ON
IDE03471-ENG117838-Vehicle configuration-online_POI_voice - ON
IDE03471-ENG117839-Vehicle configuration-online_portal_browser_services - ON
IDE03471-ENG117841-Vehicle configuration-online_street_view - ON
IDE03471-ENG117844-Vehicle configuration-picture_navi - ON
IDE03471-ENG07588-Vehicle configuration-SDS_Region_Flag - NO_REGION
IDE03471-ENG117836-Vehicle configuration-VZAPro - ON
IDE03471-ENG06576-Vehicle configuration-WiFi_Client_HMI - ON
IDE03471-ENG117842-Vehicle configuration-WIFI_Hotspot - ON

Step 2: Restart MMI

Once you've made the above changes, RESET MMI by pushing and holding the toggle to NAV and RADIO at the same time, then press the center knob to restart
While MMI restarts, turn on your mobile phone's WiFi Hotspot

Step 3:
Go to Settings in MMI > Connection Manager > Configure your WiFi Settings in MMI to connect to your phone's hotspot

Step 4:
Go to Navi/Map > Click to the 'Right' Option button > Select Map Settings
Under Display > Click and Select Google Earth

If you've configured a successful WiFi connection, Google Earth should load within 20secs or so

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...13c81427e3.png

Couple of Notes and Tips:

- I've used Google Earth for a month now, and my data usage on my phone is around 4-500MB for my commute that is 25km one way
- For Android user, I suggest downloading a paid app called 'Tasker'. Tasker allows you to automate settings based on a condition. In this case, I have my phone configured to turn on Mobile hot spot once my phone is connected to the car's bluetooth setting. This allows the MMI to connect to WiFi automatically.
- MMI defaults to the standard map display after your car restarts, you will need to enable Google Earth in map display once your MMI connects to the WiFi (this takes about 30sec).
- Online Search and other Audi Connect features would not work
- I've tried to enable the main Audi Connect menu in the MMI (this is done by setting IDE03471-ENG117846-Vehicle configuration-remote_HMI - ON). Unfortunately, once we added the menu to the MMI main page, Google Earth would not work. I had to turn the Audi Connect menu off again to get Google Earth back.
- I have no tried the SIM slot in the MMI so I am not able to confirm whether or not that would work.

To enable Traffic from SiriusXM (I have not tried this, but another member has so I'll add the info here as well)

Step 1: Set the following adaptation in module 5F (this can be done by VagCOM HEX-CAN-USB or OBDEleven) :

IDE05111-Fee-based traffic information (TMC) - 1537

Step 2:

Call Sirius Canada, provide your RadioID and get them to enable traffic subscription.

Sirius traffic working in Canada:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...6ce07d39c1.jpg

Note:

- Looks like only Sirius Traffic would work. I've tried to use code 65533, 32768, 32771 (these are code for Online Traffic for the MMI) in the IDE05111-Fee-based traffic information (TMC) adaptation. They all enabled the 'Use Online Traffic' checkbox, but none of them shows any traffic information for Canada. Maybe there's another code for Canada?

Good Luck guys!

A42017 01-16-2017 10:43 AM

Sounds really interesting.
It was my understanding that:
a) the $520 CDN option for Audi connect involved additional hardware
and
b) Audi Connect was required to enable Google Earth.
if I'm understanding your post correctly, these coding changes would allow me to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot to provide Google Earth capability without the need for the Audi Connect option, which sounds pretty nice.
Does this mean that any hardware associated with Audi Connect would already be in place in a vehicle that was not ordered with Audi Connect, or is my original understanding correct - that Audi Connect involves additional hardware, and this is simply allowing an alternative method of providing Google Earth maps?
Thanks
Blake

ekyp 01-16-2017 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by A42017 (Post 24908957)
Sounds really interesting.
It was my understanding that:
a) the $520 CDN option for Audi connect involved additional hardware
and
b) Audi Connect was required to enable Google Earth.
if I'm understanding your post correctly, these coding changes would allow me to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot to provide Google Earth capability without the need for the Audi Connect option, which sounds pretty nice.
Does this mean that any hardware associated with Audi Connect would already be in place in a vehicle that was not ordered with Audi Connect, or is my original understanding correct - that Audi Connect involves additional hardware, and this is simply allowing an alternative method of providing Google Earth maps?
Thanks
Blake

I believe there are a few parts to the Audi Connect features. I am no expert, just my thoughts based on all the information gathered. lol

1) The $520 option does require additional hardware, I believe this is the SOS, and Mobile app access part. Where you can unlock/lock your car remotely. This, I believe requires additional hardware
2) To get other Audi Connect features, such as weather/news/myAudi, I believe you need to have the integrated SIM working with a proper Audi Connect subscription. This, I believes is not available in Canada.
3) In a normal car, Audi Connect in your MMI would authenticate with the server at Audi, once authenticated, it will tap in to the built in features of the MMI which are Google Earth/Traffic/etc. In our car, we don't have the Audi Connect menu which means the authentication part is removed. Because of this, it looks like we are able to directly load Google Earth.

A42017 01-16-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ekyp (Post 24909000)
I believe there are a few parts to the Audi Connect features. I am no expert, just my thoughts based on all the information gathered. lol

1) The $520 option does require additional hardware, I believe this is the SOS, and Mobile app access part. Where you can unlock/lock your car remotely. This, I believe requires additional hardware
2) To get other Audi Connect features, such as weather/news/myAudi, I believe you need to have the integrated SIM working with a proper Audi Connect subscription. This, I believes is not available in Canada.
3) In a normal car, Audi Connect in your MMI would authenticate with the server at Audi, once authenticated, it will tap in to the built in features of the MMI which are Google Earth/Traffic/etc. In our car, we don't have the Audi Connect menu which means the authentication part is removed. Because of this, it looks like we are able to directly load Google Earth.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I don't currently have an OBD device, but I'd be willing to spring for an OBDeleven in order to try this - I'm sure I could find other uses for it as well. Do you happen to know where to buy OBDeleven in Canada, or would I need to order direct from the manufacturer?

Johannes Schauss 01-16-2017 01:34 PM

Tasker

Would you mind elaborating on sharing your setting in Tasker you setup the automatic turn on and off of wifi tethering.

ekyp 01-16-2017 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by A42017 (Post 24909015)
I don't currently have an OBD device, but I'd be willing to spring for an OBDeleven in order to try this - I'm sure I could find other uses for it as well. Do you happen to know where to buy OBDeleven in Canada, or would I need to order direct from the manufacturer?

No problem. I don't know about OBD11 in Canada. I looked at it before, and I believe the official site ships worldwide. I got my HEX-CAN-USB cable from Ross tech for my B8.5 few years ago. Not too happy a $500 cable is somewhat obsolete and not supported now in the B9. Luckily it's still able to access most modules so I've been using that for my coding changes.

Originally Posted by Johannes Schauss (Post 24909055)
Would you mind elaborating on sharing your setting in Tasker you setup the automatic turn on and off of wifi tethering.

Ya for sure. Here's what I did for Tasker:

Step 1 (Create a new Tasker Profile):
> Select PROFILES tab
> Create a new Profile Name by selecting the + button then select STATE
> Select 'BT CONNECTED' in the Select Net State Menu

Step 2 (Select the Audi MMI Bluetooth connection):
> In the State Edit Menu, enter 'MMI' under name and hit the Search icon
> This will returned all the pair Bluetooth profile on your phone. Select the one that matches the Audi MMI
> Click the Back arrow, this will bring you back to the main page

Step 3 (Assign Wifi Tether Task to Profile):
> If you click on the Profile you just created in the profile page, you should see a pop up for 'New Task +'
> Click on that, Give it a new name. I named it 'Hotspot'
> Click on the + button in the Task Edit menu to add a Task
> Select NET > Then Select WiFi Tether
> Select ON under the Set menu - This tells the app to turn WiFi Tether ON when the phone is connected to the MMI Bluetooth

This is what it should look like at the end:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...f4def847f1.png

s_Fanous 01-16-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by A42017 (Post 24909015)

I placed an order for OBDEleven directly from the manufacturer over 1 month ago and am yet to receive it. Customs in Canada have been a joke as of late. The reason I placed the order directly from the manufacturer is because they had a very good Christmas deal.

They do have a Canadian distributor, so you can buy it here. The annoying thing is that you'll shell over 25% of the device cost on taxes & shipping but if you don't want to wait for over a month, then that is the way to go.

A42017 01-16-2017 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by s_Fanous (Post 24909115)
I placed an order for OBDEleven directly from the manufacturer over 1 month ago and am yet to receive it. Customs in Canada have been a joke as of late. The reason I placed the order directly from the manufacturer is because they had a very good Christmas deal.

They do have a Canadian distributor, so you can buy it here. The annoying thing is that you'll shell over 25% of the device cost on taxes & shipping but if you don't want to wait for over a month, then that is the way to go.

Thanks for the link - I just placed my order with GTR.

mlavio829 01-17-2017 05:26 AM

Great idea and thread to combine everything ekyp.
After a few weeks, XM Traffic is still working great on my A4. It provides major highways and major traffic events in the GTA. It is almost perfect!

With that said, if anyone can figure out how to get Inrix traffic working, that would be the most perfect solution. Inrix traffic provides traffic information and traffic flow on highways and most roads (similar to Google Maps traffic) where as XM provides traffic flow only on the highways and some traffic information on major issues.
Inrix would be slightly more optimal for Navigation as XM Traffic really has no clue of traffic flow once you get off the highways (except in some circumstances). Perhaps it is just a limitation of XM - Maybe they will improve this?

If anyone could figure out how to get the External SIM Card or Equivalent for Audi Connect Services working, it could make this the most perfect setup!

boshiku 01-17-2017 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mlavio829 (Post 24909319)
Great idea and thread to combine everything ekyp.
After a few weeks, XM Traffic is still working great on my A4. It provides major highways and major traffic events in the GTA. It is almost perfect!

With that said, if anyone can figure out how to get Inrix traffic working, that would be the most perfect solution. Inrix traffic provides traffic information and traffic flow on highways and most roads (similar to Google Maps traffic) where as XM provides traffic flow only on the highways and some traffic information on major issues.
Inrix would be slightly more optimal for Navigation as XM Traffic really has no clue of traffic flow once you get off the highways (except in some circumstances). Perhaps it is just a limitation of XM - Maybe they will improve this?

If anyone could figure out how to get the External SIM Card or Equivalent for Audi Connect Services working, it could make this the most perfect setup!

I believe traffic information, speed of slow etc is included in SiriusXM traffic Plus and SiriusXM NavTraffic. Tried subscribing to Traffic Plus, but no information showed up on screen, if anyone tried NavTraffic and it worked, please let people know. BTW, Q7 users share the same pain with TMC absence.