A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boshiku
Try to use 34305 in TMC settings, that should put colour coding onto map.
Ok thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a go with my local shop and report back here.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to use 34305 in TMC settings, that should put colour coding onto map.
I just tried this code in an A5 (B9) canada spec and i got two new flow of traffic options on my map settings
it show the traffic on the highways (i had lane closures and constructions before)
its kinda nice to be able to look at the map and see whats ahead

and in case anyone is wondering i got the Sirius traffic and not travel link.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audio + Travel link is $27.40 CDN/CAD
Audio + Traffic is $19.82 CDN/CAD
the price is bit high, you're right. but so far i'm ok with paying for it and having it. I've also noticed that once you're on the road some of the main streets (Steels, Jane, Hwy 7) also have traffic info but when you zoom out on the map they disappear
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvercyrex
Audio + Travel link is $27.40 CDN/CAD
Audio + Traffic is $19.82 CDN/CAD
the price is bit high, you're right. but so far i'm ok with paying for it and having it. I've also noticed that once you're on the road some of the main streets (Steels, Jane, Hwy 7) also have traffic info but when you zoom out on the map they disappear
Call US Sirius, they can do Traffic subscription without music channels, only $4/month
You will need US address though
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for sharing all the info guys. Just so I am clear, with Sirius traffic, you get only traffic messages, vs navigation route time estimates incorporating traffic conditions (like on Google maps)?

If the answer to the above is yes, while better than nothing, still is a pretty bad option, especially for $20/month!

The lack of Google maps and its traffic functionality for Canadian vehicles, pretty much renders the native navigation in the car useless. I find myself either navigating routes on Google maps on my phone while driving (totally unsafe), or being forced to use Android Auto (which doesn't work on the virtual cockpit, and overrides all other functions on the 2nd screen). For a 2018 model (b9 a5 sportback) from a car brand that prides itself on its market leading tech/innovation, it is really shocking that they have allowed a tier 1 market like Canada to lag so far behind the US and Europe with this functionality.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave_D
Thanks for sharing all the info guys. Just so I am clear, with Sirius traffic, you get only traffic messages, vs navigation route time estimates incorporating traffic conditions (like on Google maps)?

If the answer to the above is yes, while better than nothing, still is a pretty bad option, especially for $20/month!

The lack of Google maps and its traffic functionality for Canadian vehicles, pretty much renders the native navigation in the car useless. I find myself either navigating routes on Google maps on my phone while driving (totally unsafe), or being forced to use Android Auto (which doesn't work on the virtual cockpit, and overrides all other functions on the 2nd screen). For a 2018 model (b9 a5 sportback) from a car brand that prides itself on its market leading tech/innovation, it is really shocking that they have allowed a tier 1 market like Canada to lag so far behind the US and Europe with this functionality.
Yes, it will reroute to avoid traffic, and no, you do not need to pay $20/month, just traffic subscription is US$4/month
I use car navigation for VC and HUD guidance, and show wayz on the central screen for detailed traffic and police warnings

Last edited by boshiku; 10-11-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, it will reroute to avoid traffic, and no, you do not need to pay $20/month, just traffic subscription is US$4/month
I use car navigation for VC and HUD guidance, and show wayz on the central screen for detailed traffic and police warnings
Thanks for your reply.

$4/month only if you have a US address?

Didn't know Waze worked on Android Auto, need to look into that.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_D
Thanks for your reply.

$4/month only if you have a US address?

Didn't know Waze worked on Android Auto, need to look into that.
Waze works on Android Auto -- just install and run it once on your phone alone and then you can switch in Android Auto in the same way you switch music apps.

Why do you think Android Auto "takes over" the center stack? You should be able to switch to MMI's audio sources, as well as native maps, pretty easily. Your car also should allow Android Auto nav apps to "duck" these sources to provide navigation instructions as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Waze works on Android Auto -- just install and run it once on your phone alone and then you can switch in Android Auto in the same way you switch music apps.

Why do you think Android Auto "takes over" the center stack? You should be able to switch to MMI's audio sources, as well as native maps, pretty easily. Your car also should allow Android Auto nav apps to "duck" these sources to provide navigation instructions as well.
I think he means Android Auto taking over the GPS signal from native navigator, which it does when you have set destination with wayz or google maps. Native nagivation will only show compass then.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman

Thanks for the advice on Waze.

Maybe I am missing something, but when I use Android Auto my whole centre stack has only the android auto interface. I couldn't figure out how to use MMI phone and audio control with android auto navigation only?

Thanks again for your thoughts here.

Quick Reply: Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi