A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External sim

Is there anybody with a obd11 and the now factory available audi connect (in canada)? I would sure be interested in seeing the 5f module readouto. I have tried mostly all the different setting between these canadian and us model in an attempt the hero activate the external sim car to no avail.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johannes Schauss
Is there anybody with a obd11 and the now factory available audi connect (in canada)? I would sure be interested in seeing the 5f module readouto. I have tried mostly all the different setting between these canadian and us model in an attempt the hero activate the external sim car to no avail.
That would definitely help, but do you think there could be a coding change required in a different module as well?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
That would definitely help, but do you think there could be a coding change required in a different module as well?
It could be in a different module or somewhere in the vehicle configuraton/equipment in the f5 module. If I can figure out there collation between adoptions and the long codding I can possibly see which setting are different on the candian vehicle and the German cars. There is a long codding readout available for a fully loaded a4 German car in the obd11 wiki.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome post , thanks for that!!

Anyone in the GTA able to do this to my A4 (non audi connect) ?

Most interested in the activating TMC, but google maps would be cool

I'm free anytime today or tomorrow
Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgs2017
Awesome post , thanks for that!!

Anyone in the GTA able to do this to my A4 (non audi connect) ?

Most interested in the activating TMC, but google maps would be cool

I'm free anytime today or tomorrow
You need SiriusXM Traffic activated to get some kind of traffic information directly to navigation screen. Google maps only work through smartphone interface, and only from android, not apple. Google Earth requires some coding and external smartphone or pocket wifi to share its connection to the car.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by boshiku
You need SiriusXM Traffic activated to get some kind of traffic information directly to navigation screen. Google maps only work through smartphone interface, and only from android, not apple. Google Earth requires some coding and external smartphone or pocket wifi to share its connection to the car.
Lol I know, that's why asked and if you noticed I wrote how I'm more interested in the TMC 👍

TMC is "off" here in Canada as the default which is new for 2017. All other years it worked fine as I had a 2016, 2014.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to ekyp for posting the instructions, and to f_Fanous for pointing me to GTR Auto, the Canadian distributor for ODBeleven.
I ordered the ODBeleven from GTR late Monday evening, and it arrived today (Friday). I was able to follow the instructions and get it working. At first, I kept getting a generic error message "Something went wrong. Try again" when I tried to access the Adaptations section of the 5F control unit. I discovered that I needed to enter the 20103 security code first - once it was entered, I was able to access the adaptations.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Horton (06-27-2020)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ekyp
I figured it would be a better idea to consolidate all the information founded by other members in one thread regarding enabling Sirius Traffic and Google Earth on a Canadian Spec Audi running the new MMI.

Canadian cars have no Audi connect features enabled from factory, we have the same hardware as the US cars, but the connected features are disabled via coding. So far, I've tried this on both my own 2017 A4 and the 2017 Facelifted A3 (Both Cdn Spec)

These instructions are not official and are just provided as a mean to share findings from the forum. Make sure you do a backup of the module coding/adaptation and proceed at your own risk

To enable Google Earth (this will require using your mobile phone's data connection as hotspot):

Step 1: Set the following adaptation in module 5F (this can be done by VagCOM HEX-CAN-USB or OBDEleven) :

IDE03471-ENG117848-Vehicle configuration-gracenote_online_coverarts - ON
IDE03471-ENG117849-Vehicle configuration-gracenote_online_other - ON
IDE03471-ENG117843-Vehicle configuration-my_audi - ON
IDE03471-ENG117845-Vehicle configuration-online_dictation - ON
IDE03471-ENG127495-Vehicle configuration-online_media - ON
IDE03471-ENG117840-Vehicle configuration-online_navigation - ON
IDE03471-ENG117837-Vehicle configuration-online_POI - ON
IDE03471-ENG117838-Vehicle configuration-online_POI_voice - ON
IDE03471-ENG117839-Vehicle configuration-online_portal_browser_services - ON
IDE03471-ENG117841-Vehicle configuration-online_street_view - ON
IDE03471-ENG117844-Vehicle configuration-picture_navi - ON
IDE03471-ENG07588-Vehicle configuration-SDS_Region_Flag - NO_REGION
IDE03471-ENG117836-Vehicle configuration-VZAPro - ON
IDE03471-ENG06576-Vehicle configuration-WiFi_Client_HMI - ON
IDE03471-ENG117842-Vehicle configuration-WIFI_Hotspot - ON

Step 2: Restart MMI

Once you've made the above changes, RESET MMI by pushing and holding the toggle to NAV and RADIO at the same time, then press the center **** to restart
While MMI restarts, turn on your mobile phone's WiFi Hotspot

Step 3:
Go to Settings in MMI > Connection Manager > Configure your WiFi Settings in MMI to connect to your phone's hotspot

Step 4:
Go to Navi/Map > Click to the 'Right' Option button > Select Map Settings
Under Display > Click and Select Google Earth

If you've configured a successful WiFi connection, Google Earth should load within 20secs or so

Couple of Notes and Tips:

- I've used Google Earth for a month now, and my data usage on my phone is around 4-500MB for my commute that is 25km one way
- For Android user, I suggest downloading a paid app called 'Tasker'. Tasker allows you to automate settings based on a condition. In this case, I have my phone configured to turn on Mobile hot spot once my phone is connected to the car's bluetooth setting. This allows the MMI to connect to WiFi automatically.
- MMI defaults to the standard map display after your car restarts, you will need to enable Google Earth in map display once your MMI connects to the WiFi (this takes about 30sec).
- Online Search and other Audi Connect features would not work
- I've tried to enable the main Audi Connect menu in the MMI (this is done by setting IDE03471-ENG117846-Vehicle configuration-remote_HMI - ON). Unfortunately, once we added the menu to the MMI main page, Google Earth would not work. I had to turn the Audi Connect menu off again to get Google Earth back.
- I have no tried the SIM slot in the MMI so I am not able to confirm whether or not that would work.

To enable Traffic from SiriusXM (I have not tried this, but another member has so I'll add the info here as well)

Step 1: Set the following adaptation in module 5F (this can be done by VagCOM HEX-CAN-USB or OBDEleven) :

IDE05111-Fee-based traffic information (TMC) - 1537

Step 2:

Call Sirius Canada, provide your RadioID and get them to enable traffic subscription.

Note:

- Looks like only Sirius Traffic would work. I've tried to use code 65533, 32768, 32771 (these are code for Online Traffic for the MMI) in the IDE05111-Fee-based traffic information (TMC) adaptation. They all enabled the 'Use Online Traffic' checkbox, but none of them shows any traffic information for Canada. Maybe there's another code for Canada?

Good Luck guys!
Is the data cached?

You still use 500 MB driving back and forth every day?

I assume it's cached.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Williams
Is the data cached?

You still use 500 MB driving back and forth every day?

I assume it's cached.
I dont think this is cached. I looked at my data usage chart and I can see consistent data usage everyday for my hot spot. Also, if an internet connection is not available, google earth will not load. This means it's probably not cached.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johannes Schauss

Quick Reply: Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi