H&R Sport Springs Non-Sport B9 Audi A4 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

H&R Sport Springs Non-Sport B9 Audi A4

A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Sport Springs Non-Sport B9 Audi A4

 
Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 PM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 44
Default H&R Sport Springs Non-Sport B9 Audi A4

Looking to lower my B9 A4 Technik non-sport suspension. Does anyone have the H&R Sport Springs? I've tried looking online for reviews but have not found anything.

Right now I'm deciding between the H&R Sport Springs (https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/products/emd-b9q-ls) and the Emmanuele Design Springs (https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/products/emd-b9q-ls) the H&R are about $100.00 CAD more expensive but do come with a lifetime warranty.

Is there any difference between these two? I noticed with the H&R Springs there is no mention on trimming the bump stops. Do you not need to trim them with the H&R's?

Or should I just eat the cost ($1800.00 CAD for the H&R coilovers) and get coilovers? I don't take my car to a track I just daily drive it to work. But I don't like how much wheel well there is on the non-sport suspension.

Last edited by Jonatino; 04-25-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Jonatino is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
  #2  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
BeezySBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 33
Default

I'm actually in the same situation as you, and would also like to hear from those running any of these setups, and how they've held up.

From what I understand as a rule of thumb:

Springs are good to lower about 1-1.5 inches without significant problems. Things to expect after doing them are:
- Increased negative camber (may not be able to be adjusted back into it without supporting mods, but shouldn't be tire-eaters)
- Increased wear on shocks (expect to replace ~30k miles after putting springs on)
- Potential for "reverse rake", though, my car personally sits dead even front to back, so that may be a non-issue

Coilovers are good for the entire length of whatever they rate them for. Things to expect are:
- Much stiffer ride (primarily, these are used for track applications, so that makes sense)
- Dampening rates that match springs (this is good, but still will decrease "suppleness") = less shock wear
- Adjustable height depending on weather

All things considered, you may want to factor in the cost of new shocks + springs vs. coilovers, as the coils will be more up front, but you'll likely end up at a wash after replacing your factory shocks a couple times.
BeezySBaby is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:11 PM
  #3  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by BeezySBaby View Post
I'm actually in the same situation as you, and would also like to hear from those running any of these setups, and how they've held up.

From what I understand as a rule of thumb:

Springs are good to lower about 1-1.5 inches without significant problems. Things to expect after doing them are:
- Increased negative camber (may not be able to be adjusted back into it without supporting mods, but shouldn't be tire-eaters)
- Increased wear on shocks (expect to replace ~30k miles after putting springs on)
- Potential for "reverse rake", though, my car personally sits dead even front to back, so that may be a non-issue

Coilovers are good for the entire length of whatever they rate them for. Things to expect are:
- Much stiffer ride (primarily, these are used for track applications, so that makes sense)
- Dampening rates that match springs (this is good, but still will decrease "suppleness") = less shock wear
- Adjustable height depending on weather

All things considered, you may want to factor in the cost of new shocks + springs vs. coilovers, as the coils will be more up front, but you'll likely end up at a wash after replacing your factory shocks a couple times.
I've decided and went with the H&R street performance coil overs. They come with a lifetime warranty from AWE and I need height adjustment since I'll probably be raising it in the winter (I live in Canada). And half a dozen people from the B9 facebook group love them.

From what I gathered in my research, if you're going to do springs you should do the shocks at the same time or else with larger drops (1.5"+), the springs become very bouncy and a lot of people ended up going to coilovers later on anyways. I've ridden in coilovers before that focus on track performance and they were extremely stiff; something i wouldn't want for daily driving, but the H&R's are tuned more for street performance. I'll let you know though.

If the coilovers are too stiff for daily driving, I'll probably end up putting the car on bags once we get more variety for the B9 cars.
Jonatino is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 11:08 AM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
BeezySBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by Jonatino View Post
I've decided and went with the H&R street performance coil overs. They come with a lifetime warranty from AWE and I need height adjustment since I'll probably be raising it in the winter (I live in Canada). And half a dozen people from the B9 facebook group love them.

From what I gathered in my research, if you're going to do springs you should do the shocks at the same time or else with larger drops (1.5"+), the springs become very bouncy and a lot of people ended up going to coilovers later on anyways. I've ridden in coilovers before that focus on track performance and they were extremely stiff; something i wouldn't want for daily driving, but the H&R's are tuned more for street performance. I'll let you know though.

If the coilovers are too stiff for daily driving, I'll probably end up putting the car on bags once we get more variety for the B9 cars.
Awesome, please let me know how they are for you, as I will likely end up on these coils as well for AutoX.
BeezySBaby is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 08:16 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 166
Default

What about 034? Many people here love them! including me
yb28 is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 PM
  #6  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by yb28 View Post
What about 034? Many people here love them! including me
I think the 034 might be to low for my current winter tire setup and for winters in Canada. Went with the coils to be able to raise the car again during the winter
Jonatino is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by Jonatino View Post
I think the 034 might be to low for my current winter tire setup and for winters in Canada. Went with the coils to be able to raise the car again during the winter
I have the 034 springs install on my car along with their rear sway bar and also have a the B9 A4 Technik non S-Line.

The reduction in wheel gap is rather significant and the ride is stiffer compared to what I remember it being stock - winter wise (I live in southern Ontario) I run 18 inch wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks on them and the biggest issue I've found with our icy/slushy winters is that the wheel wells get solidly filled up with snow and ice to the point where it feels like you're driving a car with rock hard suspension every time you hit a bump.
Loathing is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 07:09 PM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 166
Default

I am actually in Toronto and I go up north weekly because my gf lives there, near Owen Sound and they have twice the amount of snow. My car is lowered on 034 and it gave me 0 issues.. I actually wished theyre can be another 0.5 inches lower but as of now im very happy!
yb28 is offline  
Old 05-01-2018, 06:37 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 6
Default

Guess I had a brainfart yesterday - I've got the Emmanuele Design (EMD) springs and swaybar installed on my car, not 034.
Loathing is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:20 PM
  #10  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 11
Default

I'm running EMD springs on my Allroad and am happy with the stock ride. Also its low enough to reduce wheel gap, but I don't have to worry about scraping the front on dips.
Rpparkster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H&R Sport Springs Non-Sport B9 Audi A4


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: