A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Headlight comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Headlight comparison

I'm shopping for the A4 now.

I work at night and drive at night a lot so I was wondering if anyone has seen both types of headlights (Xenon) and (LED) at night?

I know it's a hard request because most people don't go to dealerships at night.

I'm sure both are great but it could be the difference in me getting the Premium plus. I'm just not seeing much that would make me spend the $3000 extra right now.

Thanks all
Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

As long as they are not halogens, you should be fine. I'm guessing the LEDs are slightly better but I don't think it would make a significant difference over xenons. Plus the all weather light is also helpful in lighting up the sides.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gooberman

I work at night and drive at night a lot so I was wondering if anyone has seen both types of headlights (Xenon) and (LED) at night?

I know it's a hard request because most people don't go to dealerships at night.

I'm sure both are great but it could be the difference in me getting the Premium plus. I'm just not seeing much that would make me spend the $3000 extra right now.

Thanks all
Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks all
I have driven both. The A4 with xenons during winter and snow in Boston and my daily A4 with LED in Miami. To me they look about the same. The LED have a more defined output as to were the xenon the light is more disperse, but they do the job.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't even think to look on youtube. There really is everything on there. I should have learned by now.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

You don't have the option to upgrade just the lights. Got mine in Canada, and I upgraded for the LED for $800 extra I think it was. The look during the day is so much more crisp, and at night with just the regular beams on, you can still tell the crisp angles, noticing it's an A4.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks all
My vision is deteriorating with aging and always wanted better headlights. I have changed all my previous car's stock halogens to after market HIDs. The A4 Premium Plus with all LED is the best lighting for night driving I had so far. The lighting width and the turning illumination helped greatly at night. Besides the all LED lighting, the Bang & Olufsen audio system is another great upgrade you don't want to miss I Premium Plus.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks minmet. I'm in the same boat. Getting worse each year. :-(

I have had HID in the past and it was great so if LED is better that would be great(er).
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks minmet. I'm in the same boat. Getting worse each year. :-(

I have had HID in the past and it was great so if LED is better that would be great(er).
LED beam is perhaps more widely dispersed than a HID projector. Intensity and clear beam cutoff are pretty similar. My 53-yo eyes see fine with the LEDs, and they are fine with the HIDs on my other cars too.

I doubt you will go wrong with either headlamp choice.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks all
Get the LEDs, thats what Audi is known for, im actually surprised they still offer stupid xenons on such a high tech car (I have them and I hate it), It feels like audi spent a lot of time on the LEDs and want people to pay for it (duh), and for those that didnt/couldnt get the LEDs and have to get the xenons, the designers were just like...'whatever, give them a projector and 4 ugly *** Led bulbs'.. I really want to get them but i only had about 5 days to pick up a car and had to get one off the lot ..now I want to change them and I'm looking at about 3500-4000CAD
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Voelker (01-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Headlight comparison