A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Heads up Display and Polarized Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by macwm
It depends on your polarized Sunglasses. If the angle of the polarization effect is oblique (around 45 degrees) instead of vertical or horizontal, you will still be able to read the HUD, as well as the infotainment screens in your A4. While the display is a little darker, it's still quite viewable. I have multiple pairs of Maui Jims, which are polarized at this oblique angle and they work just fine. BTW I'm an optometrist, and I used to know about this stuff.
Since we are talking about glasses I thought I will ask this here. I had Lasik recently and at night time there is lot of starburst from traffic lights or car headlights. Are there any night glasses that reduce this. I saw few on Amazon that are used at night to reduce glare, not sure if it works on starburst
Old 04-02-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by samsj
Since we are talking about glasses I thought I will ask this here. I had Lasik recently and at night time there is lot of starburst from traffic lights or car headlights. Are there any night glasses that reduce this. I saw few on Amazon that are used at night to reduce glare, not sure if it works on starburst
The starburst your are describing is essentially glare. As your corneas heal over the next several months, this ought to decrease. In the meantime, you would look for lenses that have anti-reflective coatings on them.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebec Veritas
The starburst your are describing is essentially glare. As your corneas heal over the next several months, this ought to decrease. In the meantime, you would look for lenses that have anti-reflective coatings on them.
thanks. So something like this may work
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQJFSNT/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491145480&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=night+glasses+driving+anti+glare&dpPl=1&dpID=31t-xZyZHoL&ref=plSrch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQJFSNT/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491145480&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=night+glasses+driving+anti+glare&dpPl=1&dpID=31t-xZyZHoL&ref=plSrch
Old 04-02-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blorzoga
Is there a standard angle used by optometrists when fitting polarized prescription glasses or is it random?
If the purpose is to reduce glare from reflections off horizontal surfaces (lakes, wet streets, etc) the optimum polarization is vertical. The greatest reduction is achieved when the glare and the polarization are 90 degrees apart.

It has been said that this is NOT desirable for skiers since it masks the reflections from icy patches.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

ition
Originally Posted by samsj
thanks. So something like this may work
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQ...HoL&ref=plSrch
Sorry for going off topic here but I find this issue of night driving and getting glare and such from oncoming headlights. At first I thought is was from the windshield not being perfectly clean. These glasses seem to address that glare issue. I am nearsighted, so I need prescription lenses, not non prescription lenses for driving. I think I will look into (no pun intended) just that.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

This is why I never used it in my S6, a total waste honestly. The funny thing is, I could totally see the HUD with polarized sunglasses in the new Camaro when I test drove it. If GM can figure it out, Audi should be able to.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by airb320
From my experience a HUD in a car is a waste of money. I used to have it in my Corvette, found it absolutely useless, sunglasses or not...😉... ended up turning it off and never looked back.
I've had HUD for years in my BMW and love it. No more problem with the steering wheel blocking the speedo, tach, etc, and I'm no longer turning my eyes away from the road, to look down at the Nav, or instrument cluster.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have it in my A7 and X3. In the X3, I think it is visible when I use polarized sunglasses. Not sure. In the A7 though, I can't see it when I use my polarized sunglasses.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you guys think the HUD is worth the $1000 cost upgrade (it's optional in Canada)?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Do you guys think the HUD is worth the $1000 cost upgrade (it's optional in Canada)?
I like HUDs but I can also live without it. Weird answer I know but it depends on your priorities. I probably wouldn't spend $1000 ONLY for an HUD.

Quick Reply: Heads up Display and Polarized Sunglasses