A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

high beam assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default high beam assist

I have high beam assist active and selected "late" in the MMI. When I am driving I have been on pretty dark roads with no traffic the assist is ACTIVE and it never turns on the high beams. Does anyone have an idea as to why it would not be turning the High beams on?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by busydiver
I have high beam assist active and selected "late" in the MMI. When I am driving I have been on pretty dark roads with no traffic the assist is ACTIVE and it never turns on the high beams. Does anyone have an idea as to why it would not be turning the High beams on? Thanks
Why don't you just try another setting? I don't remember what I have mine set on (probably "early") and it works great.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

Does it work at other settings and you think the "Late" is acting weird, or does it not work at all?

I've never had mine set to anything but Early. I know it can switch off and back on with porch lights, yard lights, etc., when they're aligned in a specific way. If Late waits a long time before activating, you may just be hitting these types of situations before the time interval expires.

Or does it not light up even on a long, pitch black road?
Old 04-05-2020, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

The "early, medium, and late" settings have nothing to do with the auto high beam assist, that's only for engaging or turning on your automatic headlamps (e.g. putting it on the late setting would make it so that your headlights don't come on so quickly when you go underneath a long overpass or tunnel, whereas early will always turn them on.

To activate high beam assist, make sure that your headlights are set to the AUTO position, then push the turn signal stalk forward. This will illuminate the high beam logo with AUTO underneath in the instrument cluster. From here, the high beams will automatically engage when you are traveling above 20 mph and there are no oncoming lights (taillights, headlights, streetlights, etc.).
The following 2 users liked this post by Daaavid:
bniner (01-14-2021), Doyle85 (03-29-2022)
Old 04-06-2020, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for all of the input. I am pretty certain I have it all setup correctly...e.g headlights auto on, blue function light on after pushing the stalk forward, etc. I was pretty certain the early late etc setting was for the auto headlamps coming on when it would get dusk or going under bridge but thank you Daaavid for clarifying that. I will head to the country tonite and see if I can get them to work. My experience so far has been pretty dark with an occasional street lamp (about two miles apart) so if this occasional street fools the system into not turning on then it is not worth ever trying to use.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

I guess that's why I never changed the setting - there is none.

No, lights that far apart shouldn't make a difference. When mine occasionally go off it's withing a few hundred feet of lamps/etc, then back on.

When you say "blue function light on after pushing the stalk forward" - it's not blue on mine when you activate it. It's white, with the word "auto" underneath it. It turns blue when when the high beams are actually automatically activated. Then back to white when automatically deactivated.

In the MMI, where you see the early/med/late setting for the auto headlights, there's also a Main Beam Assist checkbox that should be set. Another thing to check.

Here's an overview of high beam assist not available and then being made available (coding, OBDEleven app, etc). I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure the US configuration is the same.

Last edited by PghRich; 04-06-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PghRich
I guess that's why I never changed the setting - there is none.

No, lights that far apart shouldn't make a difference. When mine occasionally go off it's withing a few hundred feet of lamps/etc, then back on.

When you say "blue function light on after pushing the stalk forward" - it's not blue on mine when you activate it. It's white, with the word "auto" underneath it. It turns blue when when the high beams are actually automatically activated. Then back to white when automatically deactivated.

In the MMI, where you see the early/med/late setting for the auto headlights, there's also a Main Beam Assist checkbox that should be set. Another thing to check.

Here's an overview of high beam assist not available and then being made available (coding, OBDEleven app, etc). I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure the US configuration is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-JeinlKwl0

Thank you for the great overview. Last evening I went out very dark country road with no environmental lighting. As your video pointed out I had all the same settings and selections made,,, Auto select for the headlights, stalked push forward to activate the white symbol and in the MMI the selection checked which here in the US is called "headlight assistant". Unfortunately the system did not activate. I dont recall but I am wondering if I may have confused it when I coded with OBD? soon after I got the car I went in an did a lot with the OBD and if I turned off or on the high beam assist. I will check later with the OBD and return to the dark road this evening.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by busydiver
Thank you for the great overview. Last evening I went out very dark country road with no environmental lighting. As your video pointed out I had all the same settings and selections made,,, Auto select for the headlights, stalked push forward to activate the white symbol and in the MMI the selection checked which here in the US is called "headlight assistant". Unfortunately the system did not activate. I dont recall but I am wondering if I may have confused it when I coded with OBD? soon after I got the car I went in an did a lot with the OBD and if I turned off or on the high beam assist. I will check later with the OBD and return to the dark road this evening.
I would recommend that you check all of the bits and make sure they are set properly. When I first coded this with VAG-COM I made a mistake with one bit and the AUTO symbol came on in the VC but the high beams didn't come on automatically. I then went back and checked everything, found the error, fixed it and everything has been working properly ever since.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I would recommend that you check all of the bits and make sure they are set properly. When I first coded this with VAG-COM I made a mistake with one bit and the AUTO symbol name on in the VC but the high beams didn't come on automatically. I then went back and checked everything, found the error, fixed it and everything has been working properly ever since.

Thank you for this ....do you have the coding or know where i can find it ? I am using the OBD app...I do have the vagcom cable but knowing the coding will help...Thank you

Just found them in another post09 - Central ElectricsLong Coding
Default Value
New Value
high_beam_functions
not_active
head_light_assistant
mmi_fla_glw_mxb
not_active
active

Long Coding
09 - Central Electrics

Long Coding
A5 - Front Sensors Driver Assistance System
Long Coding
Default Value
New Value
AFS_coding_Light_Assist
no_Light_Assist
High_Beam_Assist
A5 - Front Sensors Driver Assistance System

Last edited by busydiver; 04-07-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I would recommend that you check all of the bits and make sure they are set properly. When I first coded this with VAG-COM I made a mistake with one bit and the AUTO symbol came on in the VC but the high beams didn't come on automatically. I then went back and checked everything, found the error, fixed it and everything has been working properly ever since.
On the OBD app it says lane assist must be active for the high beam to work..at this time i dont have lane assist active. If I long code that may make the difference as I dont have to make lane assist active?

Quick Reply: high beam assist