A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

hitch + bike rack - any issues?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default hitch + bike rack - any issues?

I'm hoping to get a hitch for a bike rack if I eventually get an A4. I don't ever intend to tow anything, I just want a single-bike bike rack and don't want to do a roof rack (ruins the sunroof experience, and too easy to drive into the garage with the bike on the roof) and a trunk rack is a complete non-starter (boogers the paint).
Does anyone have experience using a hitch and bike rack with the A4? Any specific complications I should be aware? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Trunk hitch mounts exist. Here is one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201746147

The specific complications to be aware of are:
1) Most importantly, all of them require cutting the bumper which is a showstopping no-no for me on a car like this.
2) They leverage factory frame holes so no drilling, but you do have to cut out some factory-installed frame seals which are there to fill those holes and seal off the frame to the environment.
3) you will block your backup camera
4) your rear pre-sense and parking sensors will freak out, you'll need to disable in MMI too.

You can read the instruction manual at the above link for more details. If you can stomach the above, a class 1 hitch is a good option and the A4 is a capable vehicle that can tow with very little drama if needed.

I would strongly recommend you go roof rack. By far the cleanest solution, and if needed you can fashion a lanyard to hang on the mirror to remind yourself that something is on the roof. (Also IMHO if you can't remember that you're hauling a bike on your roof, you have no business hauling a bike on your trunk/hitch/etc either: it is my informed assumption that the same people who are at risk for forgetting about overhead clearance limitations to be aware of, are also at risk of forgetting to properly lash their bikes to their trunk, or properly set a cotter pin in their hitch rack, or any other potentially catastrophic-for-others mistake. I understand accidents happen but there is zero room to F around when hauling objects on the road, regardless of your chosen method of doing so. A bike flying away can kill someone and you need to remain aware of your load at all times.)

Roof mount.... btw the sunroof works 100% with this setup, but you are correct that the experience is hampered by whistling/wind noise from the bars/bike.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 08-06-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

When I carried bikes on the roof of a previous A4, I would toss my garage door opener in the back seat or the trunk as a reminder not to drive into the garage with my bike attached. If you’re using Homelink, you could put a piece of tape over the button.

I carry my bike in the trunk for now, but that’s not as easy with two bikes and I’m debating the same question - roof rack or hitch.

If I do get a hitch, it will be a hidden one. Stealth Hitches supposedly has one for the B9 (at least the Allroad). I installed an Invisihitch on an XC90 and it works well. Bike racks that rise as they go back like the 1up are better for low mounted hitch receivers because they preserve ground clearance and make it less likely that you’ll scrape the rack on the ground when you approach a steep driveway.

https://stealthhitches.com/

https://www.1up-usa.com/

Last edited by SDakota; 08-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default B9 Stealth hitches non allroad

Originally Posted by SDakota
When I carried bikes on the roof of a previous A4, I would toss my garage door opener in the back seat or the trunk as a reminder not to drive into the garage with my bike attached. If you’re using Homelink, you could put a piece of tape over the button.

I carry my bike in the trunk for now, but that’s not as easy with two bikes and I’m debating the same question - roof rack or hitch.

If I do get a hitch, it would be a removable one. Stealth Hitches supposedly has one for the B9 (at least the Allroad). I installed an Invisihitch on an XC90 and it works well. Bike racks that rise as they go back like the 1up are better for low mounted hitch receivers because they preserve ground clearance and make it less likely that you’ll scrape the rack on the ground when you approach a steep driveway.

https://stealthhitches.com/

https://www.1up-usa.com/
I placed a call into Stealth to inquire about a hitch for a 2018 A4 Quattro (non Allroad) and the lady I spoke with said "we are getting a lot of calls for that car" but at this time they don't have a released version. I am hoping it will be coming soon as I prefer not to put a roof rack for both the ease of loading and unloading the bikes and the noise etc. Everything I have seen on the Stealth for the Allroad looks really clean and uses the bumper reinforcement bolts to connect to the vehicle. It does appear the fascia (underneath) needs to be trimmed.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by busydiver
I placed a call into Stealth to inquire about a hitch for a 2018 A4 Quattro (non Allroad) and the lady I spoke with said "we are getting a lot of calls for that car" but at this time they don't have a released version. I am hoping it will be coming soon as I prefer not to put a roof rack for both the ease of loading and unloading the bikes and the noise etc. Everything I have seen on the Stealth for the Allroad looks really clean and uses the bumper reinforcement bolts to connect to the vehicle. It does appear the fascia (underneath) needs to be trimmed.
Did they offer an estimate of how soon they expect to have one available? Or at least indicate that they're working on one?

I'd rather not have to trim the bumper but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker for me. It looks like the trimmed section is not visible unless you specifically look under the car, no? Are there any other downsides I'm missing?
I definitely want to go with a hitch rack. My current car is an Impreza wagon which can swallow my mtn bike with the front wheel off. After the first couple months of traveling that way this season I got tired of loading the bike into the car and mounted the trunk rack I used with my previous car (a WRX sedan).
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
I'd rather not have to trim the bumper but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker for me. It looks like the trimmed section is not visible unless you specifically look under the car, no?
I researched this topic heavily and yes, the cut section will be visible from the typical vantage point of the driver's seat of another car following behind you on the highway. You would not, however, notice it from the higher-up vantage point of walking past it in a parking lot. There was, at least at one point, a thread on this forum with pictures.

I am not aware of a hitch mount solution currently available for this car that doesn't require trimming, but if anyone finds one be sure to report back and post about it! Future reference and all as maybe one day I'll need to tow a light trailer with my S4.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Trunk hitch mounts exist. Here is one: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201746147

The specific complications to be aware of are:
1) Most importantly, all of them require cutting the bumper which is a showstopping no-no for me on a car like this.
2) They leverage factory frame holes so no drilling, but you do have to cut out some factory-installed frame seals which are there to fill those holes and seal off the frame to the environment.
3) you will block your backup camera
4) your rear pre-sense and parking sensors will freak out, you'll need to disable in MMI too.

You can read the instruction manual at the above link for more details. If you can stomach the above, a class 1 hitch is a good option and the A4 is a capable vehicle that can tow with very little drama if needed.

I would strongly recommend you go roof rack. By far the cleanest solution, and if needed you can fashion a lanyard to hang on the mirror to remind yourself that something is on the roof. (Also IMHO if you can't remember that you're hauling a bike on your roof, you have no business hauling a bike on your trunk/hitch/etc either: it is my informed assumption that the same people who are at risk for forgetting about overhead clearance limitations to be aware of, are also at risk of forgetting to properly lash their bikes to their trunk, or properly set a cotter pin in their hitch rack, or any other potentially catastrophic-for-others mistake. I understand accidents happen but there is zero room to F around when hauling objects on the road, regardless of your chosen method of doing so. A bike flying away can kill someone and you need to remain aware of your load at all times.)

Roof mount.... btw the sunroof works 100% with this setup, but you are correct that the experience is hampered by whistling/wind noise from the bars/bike.
I appreciate the information in your post, thank you.
But I absolutely disagree with your statement of: "if you can't remember that you're hauling a bike on your roof, you have no business hauling a bike on your trunk/hitch/etc either:"
Forgetting about the bike that you put on your roof, let's say an hour prior to driving home and pulling into your driveway and garage probably on autopilot, is very different from forgetting to perform a specific set of steps in the moment (ie securing the bike to the rack.) Those are very different failure modes. I'm personally worried I might forget about a bike on my roof, sooner or later. (Maybe I'd successfully employ reminder tricks, IDK.) But I am not worried about losing a bike on my trunk or hitch. I've been using a trunk rack for years. I have never once forgotten to ensure my bike is correctly strapped to the rack. I have never had an "oh s--t good thing I didnt lose the bike" moment.
But if I still make you nervous then don't follow me. <wink>

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 08-06-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I researched this topic heavily and yes, the cut section will be visible from the typical vantage point of the driver's seat of another car following behind you on the highway. You would not, however, notice it from the higher-up vantage point of walking past it in a parking lot. There was, at least at one point, a thread on this forum with pictures.

I am not aware of a hitch mount solution currently available for this car that doesn't require trimming, but if anyone finds one be sure to report back and post about it! Future reference and all as maybe one day I'll need to tow a light trailer with my S4.
Thanks for the info. But crap! ...disappointed to read that.

Followup question then. Does trimming the bumper cause significant new exposure of the car's frame to road salt?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Followup question then. Does trimming the bumper cause significant new exposure of the car's frame to road salt?
I doubt it. Go read the instructions at the etrailer link I posted, there are pictures. It's a 5.5" x 2" cut.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I doubt it. Go read the instructions at the etrailer link I posted, there are pictures. It's a 5.5" x 2" cut.
I did, and that's why I was surprised that it's visible from directly behind (seating position in a following car, as you described). I guess the trimmed portion must be more back-facing than down-facing than I thought. Hmmm, that makes me less excited about the prospect.
Alright, thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hitch + bike rack - any issues?