A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How do you open the door with the physical key? I think my battery is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you open the door with the physical key? I think my battery is dead.

So I didn't drive my car since Friday afternoon.

Tried to open door by handle, no reaction.

Pressed the unlock button on key fob, the car lights blink twice but no unlock sound.

Tried to unlock trunk with key fob, no reaction.

Tried the manual button on trunk, doesn't open.

Tried the spare key fob, same thing.

Tried the physical key, turned it clockwise 90 degree, doesn't open. Turned it counter-clockwise 90 degree, doesn't open.

What am I doing wrong with the physical key?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since you B9 A4 is still under full warranty, it is best to have it towed (courtesy of Audi) to your Audi service center and have it checked out. It does seem like your car's battery is toast.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Since you B9 A4 is still under full warranty, it is best to have it towed (courtesy of Audi) to your Audi service center and have it checked out. It does seem like your car's battery is toast.
Does towing it without putting it in Neutral screw things up?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the keys need to be re-sync'd with the car. Place the key fob on the icon of a key in the center console. Then push the button to start the car. Long shot for the key fobs but worth a try.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 09-12-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
Maybe the keys need to be re-sync's with the car. Place the key fob on the icon of a key in the center console. Then push the button to start the car. Long shot for the key fobs but worth a try.
I do not think it is a matter of losing sync. OP says that the car reacts to the key fobs (i.e. blinking lights) but it is not actuating the door locks. So there is communication happening.

OP cannot get inside his/her car due to this issue.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by coolxal
Does towing it without putting it in Neutral screw things up?
You'll have to request for a flat-bed tow truck although I am not sure how they will get the car on the bed if it cannot be placed on neutral.

I suggest phoning your Audi service center and tell them your car's problem. Also, ask them about how the towing company can get your car on the flat bed without being able to shift it to Neutral.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

So I guess the mechanically lock cylinder nowadays doesn't mechanically unlock the door anymore and simply actuates the door locks. That kinda sucks. OP, you are not doing anything wrong. All you can do is turn the key. If the doors don't unlock then there is something wrong with the locks or perhaps indeed the battery is low. Doesn't seem to be completely dead as you still get flashing lights. The energy management system does start to shutdown non essential functions if the battery goes low in order to preserve enough battery power to start the car. However, I would think unlocking the doors with the mechanical key is kinda essential.

As for towing, yes, it needs to go on a flat bed. Never tow a car with a center differential with wheels on the ground. You'll chew up the differential especially if only one axle is on the ground. But even with both axles on the ground and car in neutral there is no oil going to the transmission and the center differential, so kiss good-bye to those gears. They may try to brake into the car in order to unlock the transmission and put it into neutral so the car can be pulled on the flat bed. Worst case they have to drag it up with the drivetrain locked. Not ideal.

Best would be one of these :-)

Last edited by superswiss; 09-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:41 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by coolxal
So I didn't drive my car since Friday afternoon.

Tried to open door by handle, no reaction.

Pressed the unlock button on key fob, the car lights blink twice but no unlock sound.

Tried to unlock trunk with key fob, no reaction.

Tried the manual button on trunk, doesn't open.

Tried the spare key fob, same thing.

Tried the physical key, turned it clockwise 90 degree, doesn't open. Turned it counter-clockwise 90 degree, doesn't open.

What am I doing wrong with the physical key?
The handle will be disabled after 3 days of the car sitting; that's documented (and annoying) - see p. 39 of the US manual for the 2017.

I'm inclined to blame a major computer problem. Though... stupid idea: did you try the second fob?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
You'll have to request for a flat-bed tow truck although I am not sure how they will get the car on the bed if it cannot be placed on neutral.

I suggest phoning your Audi service center and tell them your car's problem. Also, ask them about how the towing company can get your car on the flat bed without being able to shift it to Neutral.
Can't they just open the door the way that CAA/AAA people did back in the days before proximity entry systems mostly prevented foolish humans from locking their keys in their cars? i.e. use one of those long metal thingies shoved in around the window to activate the lock mechanism...

Interesting, the Audi manual (p. 372) doesn't mention anything about placing the car in neutral before winching it onto a flatbed. But... I think I may have figured it out how you put a car with a dead battery in neutral - just follow the instructions on p. 95 of the manual for manually releasing the 'parking lock'.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VM
The handle will be disabled after 3 days of the car sitting; that's documented (and annoying) - see p. 39 of the US manual for the 2017.

I'm inclined to blame a major computer problem. Though... stupid idea: did you try the second fob?
It may be just me but I could not find any reference on this 'disable after 3 days of the car sitting' in the manual. It is not on Page 39 or elsewhere in that section about Opening and Closing the vehicle.

Quick Reply: How do you open the door with the physical key? I think my battery is dead.