A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How good of a discount off MSRP is good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric5273 what dealer in NJ did you get that deal with?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

10.5% off with "extras" (you don't say what they are) doesn't really tell you what the true discount is. If the extras are 2x or 3x the price you would pay on your own, what does the discount really mean? Negotiate the price of the car without that junk and see what you can get. If that's the "only" car available, be suspicious. Find another dealer.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 5% and all weather mats which came to $51,510 before tax/fees (sticker is $54,220). But I also got a deal for my trade in because I kept mentioning my trade in value was the most important factor to me. So got $28,000 for my old car and found out they sold it off to a different dealer, who sold it for $25,000 when I looked up the VIN on Google.

So assuming the lost $3,000 on my trade, I did the math:
54220x=(2710+3000)

Came out to 10.5%, but probably higher as it feels like they would have lost more than $3,000 selling it to another dealer.

Also, forgot to mention this is a car that they had in stock. I was told it if I wanted to order, they would take about $1,000-1,500 off the trade in value.

Last edited by Top1105; 07-23-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got 6% on a custom build in Denver. I'm not buying the extra crap, $120 for USB cables that's like a 1000% mark up to what they are worth. Weather mats are cheaper At ECS Tuning or eBay same with Audi beam puddle lights and cargo mat. Not many prestige models on the market. I think I got a pretty good deal. If I'm spending 50k on a car I'm getting everything I want, not settling this time around. Won't know true trade in value for my old car until new on comes in but it shouldn't be far off of what I was offered when it was in for service a couple of months ago so I know my target line.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Erasmus354
Yea, in nova i had to work really hard to get to 6% off.
I'm curious what dealership you bought it from.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry I didn't give all the details. I had not bought the car yet and didn't want to risk the guy reading this and saying "F that guy!" I really needed some advice and I got it on this forum. Thanks!

Anyway, I bought the car last night. The salesmen was actually pretty nice, but my guess is they offered me a deal and some manager changed his mind and said we need more $ from this guy.

The story goes like this...I negotiate 11% off MSRP. The options on the car are pretty rare in the region and I've talked to dozens of dealers. This car was perfect and gave me my 11% off sticker. First, they said the can give me that price, but we need you to use our financing at a high rate. They said I could pay it off or refinance any time, but they need that extra revenue to make this 11% possible. Not a big deal, so I agreed (i can refi). Then before I went down there I asked to clarify that the price is the price and there is nothing ELSE hidden. I was right to be suspicious because the reply was "oh I forgot we pre install lojack on all cars and I have to sell that to you for $800 or we can remove it but need to tack on an extra $800 if we remove it." So I say no, then they come back with $300 for the lolack. When I refused again, they said they need that extra revenue to be able to make the sell this low. In the end, I agreed to the 11% off MSRP and paid 299 for lojack (which I don't want).

I'm 99% sure lojack was installed AFTER I bought the car and was waiting. So I do feel lied to. I know lojack does not come pre-installed. I was also told the interest rate I was given (before I applied) was not the lowest rate Audi provides. I know this isn't true because I applied at another Audi a few weeks with excellent credit and the rate was half.

Finance then pushed HARD to sell me every other option she could think of. For example, when I declined Gap insurance she goes "but your down payment is really low, it would be a mistake not to get Gap on such a low payment." When i responded with "ok cool. lets double the down-payment!" she replied "no no no. don't do that. the payment is good as is, you are right you don't need gap. lets keep it the same."

My assessment is I got a great deal on a great unique car (packages wise) and they dealer was on a mission to get a few more bucks from me to make it ok on their end. Had they simply said "dude, i messed up and offered you the car too low. so sorry. can you please kick in a few hundred more?" I probably would have done it much easier. I don't like being lied to or tricked. Luckily I knew what they were doing, but still calculated that it was worth it and still feel that way.

Now its time to enjoy the car! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OhSee Dee
Sorry I didn't give all the details. I had not bought the car yet and didn't want to risk the guy reading this and saying "F that guy!" I really needed some advice and I got it on this forum. Thanks!

Anyway, I bought the car last night. The salesmen was actually pretty nice, but my guess is they offered me a deal and some manager changed his mind and said we need more $ from this guy.

The story goes like this...I negotiate 11% off MSRP. The options on the car are pretty rare in the region and I've talked to dozens of dealers. This car was perfect and gave me my 11% off sticker. First, they said the can give me that price, but we need you to use our financing at a high rate. They said I could pay it off or refinance any time, but they need that extra revenue to make this 11% possible. Not a big deal, so I agreed (i can refi). Then before I went down there I asked to clarify that the price is the price and there is nothing ELSE hidden. I was right to be suspicious because the reply was "oh I forgot we pre install lojack on all cars and I have to sell that to you for $800 or we can remove it but need to tack on an extra $800 if we remove it." So I say no, then they come back with $300 for the lolack. When I refused again, they said they need that extra revenue to be able to make the sell this low. In the end, I agreed to the 11% off MSRP and paid 299 for lojack (which I don't want).

I'm 99% sure lojack was installed AFTER I bought the car and was waiting. So I do feel lied to. I know lojack does not come pre-installed. I was also told the interest rate I was given (before I applied) was not the lowest rate Audi provides. I know this isn't true because I applied at another Audi a few weeks with excellent credit and the rate was half.

Finance then pushed HARD to sell me every other option she could think of. For example, when I declined Gap insurance she goes "but your down payment is really low, it would be a mistake not to get Gap on such a low payment." When i responded with "ok cool. lets double the down-payment!" she replied "no no no. don't do that. the payment is good as is, you are right you don't need gap. lets keep it the same."

My assessment is I got a great deal on a great unique car (packages wise) and they dealer was on a mission to get a few more bucks from me to make it ok on their end. Had they simply said "dude, i messed up and offered you the car too low. so sorry. can you please kick in a few hundred more?" I probably would have done it much easier. I don't like being lied to or tricked. Luckily I knew what they were doing, but still calculated that it was worth it and still feel that way.

Now its time to enjoy the car! Thanks!
Wow, so what all did you end up getting, car wise?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you check the fine print on the finance agreement for no prepayment penalties? They got a big rebate on the high finance rate and it seemingly would be forfeited if you pay it off within a certain time frame.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Did you check the fine print on the finance agreement for no prepayment penalties? They got a big rebate on the high finance rate and it seemingly would be forfeited if you pay it off within a certain time frame.
I probably didnt read it as closely as I should have. But asked a few times about paying it off early and if there were any fees. Also, I have a an email specifically saying I could pay it off early or refinance with for no fees, but they ask (as a favor) for me to hold off a few months so they can get their rebate. I guess if I hold the loan for 90 days the dealership gets their cut. Not sure though. In reality, my refinance rate and this rate is only about $800 difference over 5 years, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if i couldnt refi. I'll know soon
Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson
Wow, so what all did you end up getting, car wise?
Got an A4 Prestige. Not a lot of Prestige models around.

Quick Reply: How good of a discount off MSRP is good?