A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How good of a discount off MSRP is good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy the car!

njandy: I sent you a private message with the dealer info.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

The deal is done, so my opinion kinda is too late, but I would have walked.
Any time a dealer starts with hidden things or things that come out once you're about to sign is reason to be wary on what else may be hidden.
But you do need to balance that with your desire to get the car you want on your timetable.

I got a very good deal on my car, it's my third Audi from the same dealer. There are three audi dealers closer than this one, but I feel comfortable with them, there is nothing hidden, and I get a more than good price.

Quick story time...a few years back I wanted a Forester. A local dealer had a used one (a year old) which was perfect. Perfect options, color, price, etc. Took it for a drive, loved it. Was fully ready to buy it on sight. I said I know what it was advertised for online, and asked what the sales rep could do if I took the car that day.
To my surprise, he came back with a higher number. He said that the online price was incorrect, but they would honor it for the vehicle itself, but they had just done an oil change, an alignment, replaced the tires, scotch-guarded the interior, so that would be added on TOP of the price. On a car that, I think, was advertised for $22k, they somehow managed to jack it up to over $25k before taxes. I went as far as telling them I'm pretty sure it's illegal to pull that, but they pointed out a clause in their fine print.
I walked away and never even went back. And noticed that car sat for months there.

My dealer charges a flat doc fee (I think it's $299?) and they have mandatory window etching they do (also $299) and that's it.

Call me old fashioned or weird, but I want to have a good experience when I buy a car, I don't want to just get the car by whatever means.

Heck, the dealer is closed today, but they prepped the car yesterday and my rep is meeting me there today to complete the delivery!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gregory Topf
The deal is done, so my opinion kinda is too late, but I would have walked.
Any time a dealer starts with hidden things or things that come out once you're about to sign is reason to be wary on what else may be hidden.
But you do need to balance that with your desire to get the car you want on your timetable.

I got a very good deal on my car, it's my third Audi from the same dealer. There are three audi dealers closer than this one, but I feel comfortable with them, there is nothing hidden, and I get a more than good price.

Quick story time...a few years back I wanted a Forester. A local dealer had a used one (a year old) which was perfect. Perfect options, color, price, etc. Took it for a drive, loved it. Was fully ready to buy it on sight. I said I know what it was advertised for online, and asked what the sales rep could do if I took the car that day.
To my surprise, he came back with a higher number. He said that the online price was incorrect, but they would honor it for the vehicle itself, but they had just done an oil change, an alignment, replaced the tires, scotch-guarded the interior, so that would be added on TOP of the price. On a car that, I think, was advertised for $22k, they somehow managed to jack it up to over $25k before taxes. I went as far as telling them I'm pretty sure it's illegal to pull that, but they pointed out a clause in their fine print.
I walked away and never even went back. And noticed that car sat for months there.

My dealer charges a flat doc fee (I think it's $299?) and they have mandatory window etching they do (also $299) and that's it.

Call me old fashioned or weird, but I want to have a good experience when I buy a car, I don't want to just get the car by whatever means.

Heck, the dealer is closed today, but they prepped the car yesterday and my rep is meeting me there today to complete the delivery!
After talking to about 10 dealers in a 50 mile radius over 2 months, I knew 11% off couldn't be beat with the options I wanted (Drivers assist, Sport, 19" wheels). $299 for a lo-jack that I didn't need was not a huge deal. In fact, had they just countered $300 more on the price I would probably have taken it. 1 week later and I'm happy with my buy.

I had a similar story to yours about a year ago. I test drove a new diesel golf at a VW dealer. The salesmen says "this car is really hot right now (the dealership was empty) so I have to add $3k to the sticker price." Having no intention of buying the car, I reply "that sucks." He then says "let me talk to my manger and see if there is anything he can do." comes back 5 min later "great news! my manager says I can sell you the car for sticker price if you buy today." Of course I walked away. A few weeks alter the VW diesel scandal came out.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my special ordered Prestige by Invoice price. MN.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was "offered" the financing discount and I'm fairly sure the contract did not allow payoff the first six months. Which meant I would have paid the "savings" (and then some) in in interest. My dealer was upfront with this when I told them I would repay early.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So after my order for a Prestige fell through when the dealer tried to screw me on the trade over $300 I went to another dealer today( July 31 as far as Audi was concerned) and got the following deal:

Prem plus with

Tech package
First edition package
Sport Package
Glacier white
Mats cables and first aid kit.

MSRP 50180

Paid 46087 with an additional 750 off as Audi Loyalty rebate

Plus the dealer threw in the 50k maintenance package worth 849.

Net effective price paid 44488 after rebate and value of maint package.

When all was said and done my out the door price was 5153 less then the prestige whose MSRP was 2330 more.

Sometimes things happen for a reason.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sdwcpa
So after my order for a Prestige fell through when the dealer tried to screw me on the trade over $300 I went to another dealer today( July 31 as far as Audi was concerned) and got the following deal:

Prem plus with

Tech package
First edition package
Sport Package
Glacier white
Mats cables and first aid kit.

MSRP 50180

Paid 46087 with an additional 750 off as Audi Loyalty rebate

Plus the dealer threw in the 50k maintenance package worth 849.

Net effective price paid 44488 after rebate and value of maint package.

When all was said and done my out the door price was 5153 less then the prestige whose MSRP was 2330 more.

Sometimes things happen for a reason.
Good choice! And sounds like you got a good deal as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures or it never happened! 😆
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Picked up a Scuba P+, Tech, sport, 19", carbon fiber spoiler, cables, and a few other minor options. MSRP 50,950 negotiated down to 45500. It was a 3 day negotiation process, I think coming in on the last day of the month helped too.
Attached Thumbnails How good of a discount off MSRP is good?-img_3379.jpg  
Old 08-02-2016, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oripaamoni
Picked up a Scuba P+, Tech, sport, 19", carbon fiber spoiler, cables, and a few other minor options. MSRP 50,950 negotiated down to 45500. It was a 3 day negotiation process, I think coming in on the last day of the month helped too.
Need to see much much more of that! ^

Quick Reply: How good of a discount off MSRP is good?