A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Standard versus Sports seats - preferences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard versus Sports seats - preferences?

I'm considering a 2018 A4 with the Sports Package.

I *thought* I much preferred the Sports seats when I quickly sat in them at the dealership.

But after renting an A4 Premium with standard seats for a few days, the next time I sat in an A4 with the Sports Package and Sports Seats I felt like the bolstering on the sides could feel restrictive...like not allow me to extend my elbows and kind of "hang out"' like I sometimes do when I'm driving. And I didn't test this but especially on the right side I found that I constantly drove with my elbow on top of the center console and my hand on top of the shifter. (not saying that's good driving, but that's what I did.)

I'm short - about 5'5". Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anybody else find this?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have sports seats and I love them!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Prior to the 2017 A4 Prestige I own now I had a 2014 A4 and I always thought the seats (well, the driver's seat at least) was very uncomfortable. In fact, I found the seats to be so bad on a long road trip between Seattle and Palm Springs that I dropped off the car at the local Audi dealer and asked them to keep the car for a few days while I flew home and made arrangements to have it shipped back. I just couldn't deal with the thought of driving all the way home. After that I did some reading online and learned that some others felt the same way I did. It had something to do with the inflatable lumbar support. So when I was shopping for my new car I gave the seats a lot of consideration. I test drove an A4 without the sport seats and it seemed fine. But I opted to go with the warm weather package which gave me the sport seats without having to go with the full time sport suspension. The ventilated seats are nice. But the killer feature on the sport seats – for me – is the adjustable thigh bolster. I'm not a tall guy at 5'9" but being able to extend the seat takes pressure off the under side of my thigh and makes the seating a lot more comfortable. The side bolsters are a tiny bit too narrow for me but it's not a deal breaker. I think I made the right choice this time.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the market for an A4 and test drove two cars on Sunday, one with regular and one with sport seats. I was split on which felt more comfortable to me, but I sort of leaned towards the sport seats. As I was driving home in my 15yo Toyota Camry it dawned on me that the seat length was very similar to the sport seats I had just test driven. The bolstering on the sport seats didn't feel that much different than the regular seats, to me anyway, but I'm a pretty slim guy (5'8" 155). I think my Camry has more bolstering than many cars of that era, so it feel natural to me (I remember it didn't at first). Everyone's mileage varies... go with your gut.

Originally Posted by xreycon
I'm considering a 2018 A4 with the Sports Package.

I *thought* I much preferred the Sports seats when I quickly sat in them at the dealership.

But after renting an A4 Premium with standard seats for a few days, the next time I sat in an A4 with the Sports Package and Sports Seats I felt like the bolstering on the sides could feel restrictive...like not allow me to extend my elbows and kind of "hang out"' like I sometimes do when I'm driving. And I didn't test this but especially on the right side I found that I constantly drove with my elbow on top of the center console and my hand on top of the shifter. (not saying that's good driving, but that's what I did.)

I'm short - about 5'5". Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anybody else find this?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sat in the sport seats of a couple floor models but didn't drive in one. Test drove a Prestige with standard. They were way more comfortable than the sport seats in my C300 and the ride and handling was perfect for my needs. I honestly didn't notice that big of a difference in the height between a sports suspension so I didn't bother paying the extra for sport seats and suspension when I ordered the car. Can't wait until she gets here in about 6 weeks!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AidanHadley
Prior to the 2017 A4 Prestige I own now I had a 2014 A4 and I always thought the seats (well, the driver's seat at least) was very uncomfortable. In fact, I found the seats to be so bad on a long road trip between Seattle and Palm Springs that I dropped off the car at the local Audi dealer and asked them to keep the car for a few days while I flew home and made arrangements to have it shipped back. I just couldn't deal with the thought of driving all the way home. After that I did some reading online and learned that some others felt the same way I did. It had something to do with the inflatable lumbar support. So when I was shopping for my new car I gave the seats a lot of consideration. I test drove an A4 without the sport seats and it seemed fine. But I opted to go with the warm weather package which gave me the sport seats without having to go with the full time sport suspension. The ventilated seats are nice. But the killer feature on the sport seats – for me – is the adjustable thigh bolster. I'm not a tall guy at 5'9" but being able to extend the seat takes pressure off the under side of my thigh and makes the seating a lot more comfortable. The side bolsters are a tiny bit too narrow for me but it's not a deal breaker. I think I made the right choice this time.
The seat comfort became important to me once I looked into how to properly test drive a car. Which by the way has also made me realize how crazy it is that we're supposed to buy a car after driving it around the block once. :/

So I paid a lot of attention to how the seats felt and whether it seemed like I could find a comfortable driving position. The A4 Premium I rented with standard seats was extremely comfortable for me / my body type (I'm pretty slim.)

And I agree that the adjustable thigh bolster is a good thing to have - it's what most caught my eye/attention when I sat in an A4 with the sports seat. It's the kind of thing you don't realize you wish you had until the day you need it.

I hope you made the right choice so you can enjoy the car to the fullest.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JorgeGortex
I am in the market for an A4 and test drove two cars on Sunday, one with regular and one with sport seats. I was split on which felt more comfortable to me, but I sort of leaned towards the sport seats. As I was driving home in my 15yo Toyota Camry it dawned on me that the seat length was very similar to the sport seats I had just test driven. The bolstering on the sport seats didn't feel that much different than the regular seats, to me anyway, but I'm a pretty slim guy (5'8" 155). I think my Camry has more bolstering than many cars of that era, so it feel natural to me (I remember it didn't at first). Everyone's mileage varies... go with your gut.
The car I'm driving now is old too...but the seats are very comfortable. It never dawned on me that other cars may not have comfortable seats since I haven't shopped for a car in quite a long time.

Would this be your first Audi?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave788
I sat in the sport seats of a couple floor models but didn't drive in one. Test drove a Prestige with standard. They were way more comfortable than the sport seats in my C300 and the ride and handling was perfect for my needs. I honestly didn't notice that big of a difference in the height between a sports suspension so I didn't bother paying the extra for sport seats and suspension when I ordered the car. Can't wait until she gets here in about 6 weeks!
Bet you can't wait. Did you get a 2018?

The wheel gap was noticeable to me, but also not a deal breaker. But since the Sports package is affordable I'll probably go for it. But I definitely could be content with a non-Sports suspension too.

Enjoy your new car.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AidanHadley
I I agree with the lumbar support it just doesn't give enough support. Doesn't bolster out far enough.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

everyone's preference will be completely unique, as comfort is largely subjective.

Quick Reply: Standard versus Sports seats - preferences?