A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How to start my audi using the metal key?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to start my audi using the metal key?

Anyone know how to start a b9 A4 with just the metal key? The internet has zero pictures/videos for this. My FOB quit working. Also, how much will the dealer charge me to make a new FOB?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by electric_warrior
Anyone know how to start a b9 A4 with just the metal key? The internet has zero pictures/videos for this. My FOB quit working. Also, how much will the dealer charge me to make a new FOB?
You can only open the door with the metal key, once you've done that, take the FOB and touch it against the "key" engraving (I don't have mine with me today, it's either on the steering column where you'd normally put a key to turn ignition or in the center console. It should be a key with ))) over it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that the metal key just opens the door. Maybe you just have a dead battery. When I picked up my new car I ordered a new keyless entry package so I would have three FOB's with three metal keys. The metal had to be ordered laser-cut which took a few days, then my car and existing keys had to be together at the dealer for programming. I think it cost a couple of hundred bucks. If he FOB just stopped for no battery reason it may be covered under warranty.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Have you tried replacing the battery?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Full disclosure, I actually LOST the FOB but still have the mechanical metal key. Please tell me there is a way I can start this bad boy up still? Thank you!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am assuming you also lost the manual. Note that while it states several things you can do with the mechanical key, including lock and unlock the car, it does not state that you can start the car. You also lost the spare FOB?

Last edited by MDAudi; 05-27-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDAudi
I am assuming you also lost the manual. Note that while it states several things you can do with the mechanical key, including lock and unlock the car, it does not state that you can start the car. You also lost the spare FOB?
Yes I did see that. I bought it used and was under the impression I only had 1 FOB. Should there be a spare stored in the vehicle somewhere?
Old 05-27-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by electric_warrior
Yes I did see that. I bought it used and was under the impression I only had 1 FOB. Should there be a spare stored in the vehicle somewhere?
If there were a spare fob stored in your vehicle, any joe blow off the street could steal it. The car even prevents you from even locking it if there is a fob detected inside it.

New Audis are sold with 2 fobs, which differ slightly in appearance (matte plastic vs. gloss plastic, to help you distinguish "key 1 vs.key 2 / his vs. hers" since the keys store driver-specific settings as per manual page posted above) but which are identical in functionality. If you bought the car with only 1 key you probably were cheated out of approx. $400 in value as that's about what it costs to get a new one ordered from the factory (you can't even buy them at the dealer...they have to order them too, based on your VIN).
Old 05-27-2019, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Damnit. Guess I’m SOL. Currently on vacation in Houston. Any way the dealer could perform a 1 time start so I can drive it home? Surely they would have the capability for that?
Old 05-27-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

You will need to purchase a new FOB that is programmed for your car.

Quick Reply: How to start my audi using the metal key?