A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?

Old 03-03-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?

I've had a couple of conversations with forum members about the durability of the B9 clear coat, which is the clear layer placed over our car's paint color. Since the B9 is approaching three years of service now for some on the forum, I would really like to hear how everyone's clear coat is holding up for them. Some say clear coat is a little softer than it has been in the past because of changes Audi has had to make to their paint finishes due to environmental regulations. The result can be more fine scratches from everyday use or fine swirls and holograms in the clear coat from commercial car washes, etc.

Please let us know your opinions or praises or criticisms if you have any and just generally how the clear coat is holding up for you.

Last edited by Dave W; 03-04-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

It is pathetic. Period. I only use touch free washes in winter and self wash during the summer. I’m a detailing enthusiast and take good care of my cars. The B9 has pathetic clear coat. Even my X3 which is abused has better clear coat. Though my A4 has been ceramic coated since August 2018, it wasn’t before that and it would manage to collect swirls irrespective of how careful I was. I took it through a brush wash only twice when it was new and it had more swirls than my X3 which has been through brush washes a million times. I corrected it after and it still managed to get more swirls than it should. Same with the SQ5. The A7 is so much better.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think Audi's paint/and/or clear coat is soft - so was it on my Porsche Macan. Very easily swirled up. Another reason I'm a big fan of applying a ceramic coating - pick one - to my cars.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Dave, as per our prior exchange the paint/clear coat quality is awful. Since we corresponded I've taken to running car through the wand wash. I do however make use of the foaming brush but very gently. I'm glad car is leased and there is no way I'm going to spend $1,000 to do a ceramic coating on a leased car. Audi will simply get its car back at end of lease with paint that looks infinitely worse than on my 15 year old Acura TL and it shall be Audi's problem. Inexcusable IMHO.

Best,
Jeff
Old 03-04-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It’s not holding up at all, but I also abuse the hell out of mine. A lot of wear and blemishes are showing up (not counting the constant peppering of bumper/hood areas on track).

Probably will need paint correction at some point soon.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a used 2017 and my wife had asked me if the car had been washed with sand paper..

The swirl marks are terrible...
Old 03-04-2019, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

And I'm sure Audi will own up to this little oops and make it right...........
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wrigley757
I recently bought a used 2017 and my wife had asked me if the car had been washed with sand paper..

The swirl marks are terrible...
I bought mine used a year and a half ago and said the same thing. I told the dealer I was buying it from to buff it out. He did and it still looks good today. I'm guessing the prior owner used a car wash.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
And I'm sure Audi will own up to this little oops and make it right...........
Its not necessarily Audi's fault. Ever since everyone had to go to water based paints, quality has gone downhill. You can literally go on any other car forum and youll read the same kind of threads.

One of the worst colors I ever had was Estoril Blue(2013 S6). I nicknamed it Eswirl Blue because even just breathing on it, it produced scratch marks. I would literally have to wax it after each hand car wash because it showed so many hairline scratches. Needless to say, my OCD about it got the best of me and I turned the car in after 6 months for a white one. My Sepang Blue didnt suffer the same fate and actually held up really well during my ownership. Damn I loved that color.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

okay so the buffing works which I was going to get done once this Chicago weather breaks...

I guess in the excitement of finally getting the car, I didn't look hard enough, but could really tell the next day against the contrast of the light from the garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?