A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, this is disappointing to hear. Is there a particular colour thats best for hiding these imperfections? I'm assuming white would be the best but its just so common....
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Wow, this is disappointing to hear. Is there a particular colour thats best for hiding these imperfections? I'm assuming white would be the best but its just so common....
White or maybe a grey/silver. Could always go the route of Plasti Dipping your whole car or putting Xpel over the whole thing.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
White would be good. Silver would be
good too. You would still have the same swirls, it’s just the paint color wouldn’t make them so obvious.

I can tell you a color that really showcases the swirls, Manhattan Grey. Ask me how I know 😄

Last edited by Dave W; 03-05-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

+1 another Manhattan Grey victim here. Perhaps we should all start contacting Audi about this. Somehow I suspect we will be told this is "normal" or "within specification." Perhaps a class action lawsuit will get their attention.........

I don't mean to sound like an Audi basher but after the teething problems with my A6 3.0T (well documented on AW -- all 4 rotors, upper timing chain tensioners, driveline vibration from the get go that took far too long to fix, fuel filler door failure among one or two other minor issues) I was inclined to avoid VAG going forward. While the A6 was at dealer for the upper timing chain tensioner job we had an A4 sport back loaner that we were impressed with. Some months later I leased the A4 for my wife. Nice driving cars but my experience is that there is always something with Audi that is a source of concern/aggravation -- the clear coat issue is yet another example.

Best,
Jeff
Old 03-05-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

this wasnt really an issue i was considering when i was car shopping but i thought german cars were generally known as having hard paint. how does mb's and bmw's paint hold up compared to audi?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by chompers
this wasnt really an issue i was considering when i was car shopping but i thought german cars were generally known as having hard paint. how does mb's and bmw's paint hold up compared to audi?
BMW
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1211141
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803803
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643396

Merc
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/38...int-issue.html

Like I said, nobody has great paint these days.

Last edited by HyperS4; 03-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I think Audi's paint/and/or clear coat is soft - so was it on my Porsche Macan. Very easily swirled up. Another reason I'm a big fan of applying a ceramic coating - pick one - to my cars.
I put ceramic coating on my A4. It was great for a few months, then it wore off just like a good wax would. I spoke to several installers after that and did as much research as i could on the web. My honest opinion after that is if you want protect your paint, use a clear bra material and then wax it often with a good wax. I had one fairly big installer flat out tell me that ceramic coats are the current scam. They do not last. Most of the ceramic coats also recommend a treatment very often with a reboot or similar stuff, necause the ceramic coating goes away and you apply a new coat just like you would with a wax. Maybe you have had more luck but i have heard from an awful lot of people that feel that ceramic coatings are a scam.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an X3 that has never been taken care of (washing-wise). And it has its share of swirls. But I’m sure if my Audi was treated the same way my X3 is, there wouldn’t be any clear coat on the car

Like everyone said, absolutely the worst clear coat ever. It’s sad.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
if my Audi was treated the same way my X3 is, there wouldn’t be any clear coat on the car
Clearly you realize which one you want to take care of better lol
Old 03-05-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy

I put ceramic coating on my A4. It was great for a few months, then it wore off just like a good wax would. I spoke to several installers after that and did as much research as i could on the web. My honest opinion after that is if you want protect your paint, use a clear bra material and then wax it often with a good wax. I had one fairly big installer flat out tell me that ceramic coats are the current scam. They do not last. Most of the ceramic coats also recommend a treatment very often with a reboot or similar stuff, necause the ceramic coating goes away and you apply a new coat just like you would with a wax. Maybe you have had more luck but i have heard from an awful lot of people that feel that ceramic coatings are a scam.
I think the overwhelming majority would disagree with that. And I don't think they would be this popular if it were a scam. BUT much has to do with proper prep work as well as the individual product. Coating take more prep work than waxes or sealants Mine has lasted quite well going on 2 years only one of which was garaged . Yep, you can very quickly add a "topper" to gain more protection, but again, I would put a coating on every car I would own or lease.

Quick Reply: How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?