How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?

Old 03-05-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Clearly you realize which one you want to take care of better lol
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by bob m
I think the overwhelming majority would disagree with that. And I don't think they would be this popular if it were a scam. BUT much has to do with proper prep work as well as the individual product. Coating take more prep work than waxes or sealants Mine has lasted quite well going on 2 years only one of which was garaged . Yep, you can very quickly add a "topper" to gain more protection, but again, I would put a coating on every car I would own or lease.
I agree 100%
Old 03-05-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

Absolutely!

I agree 100%
my black mythos fared pretty well thus far but I have the cquartz UK 3.0 applied. In the spring/summer I hand wash every 2 weeks or so. Going to polish and re-apply cquartz again this spring. I bought the car when it had 4K on the odometer and it was swirled up quite a bit. Quick correction and cquartz solved the issue . I would agree that the clear coat is on a soft side.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A car detailing pro once told me proper washing can do a lot to minimize the swirls and hazing with the softer clear coat like on the A4. He told me the dirt on the car is creating the swirls in the finish when you are attempting to wash it off.

Makes sense as, if your car is like mine, the majority of the swirls occur below the belt line where the wheels transfer most of the dirt on the car. He suggested using a low pressure sprayer to pre-remove as much as the dirt as possible before you move in to hand wash it. I’ve never done this as pressure washing can present its own set of problems.

What I have done is moved to a super soft, ultra thick microfiber “furry” wash mitt and I’m mindful of using as clean wash water as I can. I try to loosen and remove as much dirt as I can with a regular garden hose and nozzle before I start washing it. I only use car specific clear coat safe wash solutions and dry with a thick microfiber towel designed for drying.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
A car detailing pro once told me proper washing can do a lot to minimize the swirls and hazing with the softer clear coat like on the A4. He told me the dirt on the car is creating the swirls in the finish when you are attempting to wash it off.

Makes sense as, if your car is like mine, the majority of the swirls occur below the belt line where the wheels transfer most of the dirt on the car. He suggested using a low pressure sprayer to pre-remove as much as the dirt as possible before you move in to hand wash it. I’ve never done this as pressure washing can present its own set of problems.

What I have done is moved to a super soft, ultra thick microfiber “furry” wash mitt and I’m mindful of using as clean wash water as I can. I try to loosen and remove as much dirt as I can with a regular garden hose and nozzle before I start washing it. I only use car specific clear coat safe wash solutions and dry with a thick microfiber towel designed for drying.

I would add to that and say a lot of swirls come from drying the car also. High quality microfiber towels are a must.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I would add to that and say a lot of swirls come from drying the car also. High quality microfiber towels are a must.
Exactly. I’ve been using the thick microfiber one marketed by Chemical Guys. One side is thick nap, the other side finer for finish drying. Works a lot better than the waffle style towel I used to use.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, that is just my opinion on ceramics and i am wrong fairly often. For me, i think i will use a paint sealant and a coat of wax over it. But if ceramics are working for you then by all means you should continue that.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W

Exactly. I’ve been using the thick microfiber one marketed by Chemical Guys. One side is thick nap, the other side finer for finish drying. Works a lot better than the waffle style towel I used to use.
Lots of really good MF towels available today. I have only tried a few brands, so I am not an expert by any means but I am very partial to the Griot's Garage PFM towels https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor.../microfiber.do and this one from Adams https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...r-drying-towel
Old 03-25-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I just sold my 2011 A4 with the discontinued color of Meteor Gray. A few coats of Zaino every year and this car looked great after 8 years of wear and tear - no car washes only hand washing. My new one is Mythos Black - anyone here have the older paint and can compare to this newer?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.

I did a search on "swirls" because I noticed the swirls on my used 2017 A4 in Manhattan Gray after I bought it even though I had been to the dealership several times to look at the car.

It was only when under bright sunlight that I noticed the swirls. :/ Horrible.

I notice a few of you talking about having the paint buffed - does that help get rid of them completely? And how much does it cost?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wound up getting Manhattan grey and also see swirls, and dents from people opening door into my car. What's the best color (for next time) for hiding these things?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Is Your B9 Clear Coat Holding Up?