A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

I miss my car... (two days with a Progressiv)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:15 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I miss my car... (two days with a Progressiv)

So... my car was the victim of a rather unfortunate mishap in a parking garage last week. Off to the body shop it is for probably at least two weeks...

The dealership group's in-house rental provider gave me another A4. Big kudos for them for doing that - it's much more convenient than trying to get a comparable car from a random rental car company.

This thing is a 2018 progressiv with the sport ventilated seats. (Roughly comparable to the US premium plus with a few omissions because... Canada)

A couple of thoughts/questions/rants:
1. I remember reading a thread about the poor quality of the rear camera. Wow is the rear camera a disappointment compared to that on the cars with the 360 camera.
2. The audio system... makes me miss my B&O.
3. I really, really, really miss my safety features. Adaptive cruise, pre-sense city, lane keep assist, etc.
4. The sport ventilated seats are not bad... maybe I should have ordered those... oh well, on my next car?
5. Is the non-VC instrument cluster mounted at a different angle than the virtual cockpit? It... feels differently located, though maybe my seating position being different in this car is part of it...

Not sure what other changes there are - the front console USB port, I notice the all-weather lights seem to be gone (but I don't know if that's a 2018 thing or a Progressiv thing), otherwise... hmm... it's another A4. I do really love the A4 though... especially when it isn't smashed up...
Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear about the parking garage "mishap" - I park in a NYC garage a few times a week and I go out of my way to "schmooze" the guys there with bagels in the morning and pizza at night, Christmas tips, etc and that has been a good investment, car wise for me. Anyhow, I have the Prestige Allroad and I love the amenities but I always thought the driver safety features - especially ACC should be standard features across the board, not reserved to the Prestige line. These are safety features that are available on way, less expensive cars than A4's.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
So... my car was the victim of a rather unfortunate mishap in a parking garage last week. Off to the body shop it is for probably at least two weeks...

The dealership group's in-house rental provider gave me another A4. Big kudos for them for doing that - it's much more convenient than trying to get a comparable car from a random rental car company.

This thing is a 2018 progressiv with the sport ventilated seats. (Roughly comparable to the US premium plus with a few omissions because... Canada)

A couple of thoughts/questions/rants:
1. I remember reading a thread about the poor quality of the rear camera. Wow is the rear camera a disappointment compared to that on the cars with the 360 camera.
2. The audio system... makes me miss my B&O.
3. I really, really, really miss my safety features. Adaptive cruise, pre-sense city, lane keep assist, etc.
4. The sport ventilated seats are not bad... maybe I should have ordered those... oh well, on my next car?
5. Is the non-VC instrument cluster mounted at a different angle than the virtual cockpit? It... feels differently located, though maybe my seating position being different in this car is part of it...

Not sure what other changes there are - the front console USB port, I notice the all-weather lights seem to be gone (but I don't know if that's a 2018 thing or a Progressiv thing), otherwise... hmm... it's another A4. I do really love the A4 though... especially when it isn't smashed up...
Is the rearview camera quality really that bad? Have to consider this for any future Audi purchase
Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

That camera thing is kinda weird. I think the quality and lines showing where the car is going based on wheel turn is actually quite good. Yes, not as good as 360, agreed, but I'm quite impressed with it, in all lighting conditions. I back up out of the driveway and the sun hit directly into my camera if I leave after 8am during summer months, and even then, absolutely not much problem if the lens is fairly clean.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
5. Is the non-VC instrument cluster mounted at a different angle than the virtual cockpit?
Yes, it is. The VC is tilted more towards the driver to avoid glare.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry about your car and I hope it’s fixed perfectly.

I was was walking through a parking lot yesterday (calm, beautiful day) on the way to an appointment and I heard creaking/groaning sound and then a loud crack. A second later I saw a good size tree limb come crashing down on the hood of a parked car about 30 feet from me. No one hurt, my car was parked about 15 spaces away (not under trees).

Parking lot horrors happen.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:02 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Sorry to hear about the parking garage "mishap" - I park in a NYC garage a few times a week and I go out of my way to "schmooze" the guys there with bagels in the morning and pizza at night, Christmas tips, etc and that has been a good investment, car wise for me. Anyhow, I have the Prestige Allroad and I love the amenities but I always thought the driver safety features - especially ACC should be standard features across the board, not reserved to the Prestige line. These are safety features that are available on way, less expensive cars than A4's.
Yes, and in the Canadian-spec cars, it's even worse. You guys at least get pre sense city standard; in Canada it's only in the Technik with the ADAP package (which my car has but this one does not).

This car, in terms of safety features, has... airbags, stability control, rear view camera, parking sensors front and back, and... umm... what else? no adaptive cruise, no blind spot monitoring, no lane departure warning or active lane assist, none of the camera-based pre sense features. Not sure about high beam assist - in the city one never uses high beams anyways. Honestly, when you consider this car MSRPs for around $49.5K CAD, it's.. hard to swallow when a fully loaded Elantra would have most of that stuff.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:04 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SNGGA
Is the rearview camera quality really that bad? Have to consider this for any future Audi purchase
In my view, the camera on this Progressiv is bad, yes. Lower resolution than the one on the 360-degree-equipped cars, so the image is grainy. It's also a less wide image. When you've spent 2.75 years with the better camera in the other car and you've read the thread ranting about it here, you really notice it...
Old 04-26-2019, 04:35 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
OP -sorry to hear about the damage.

I hate parking garages and valet parking for obvious reasons.. Anytime I have to valet I will hand the guy a tip when I arrive and ask him if I can park it up front which they usually let me. If they don't I'll ask them to keep it up front and I tell him I'll take care of you again later when I leave. Anytime I do this my wife will always shake her head as if I am embarrassing her.

Funny thing is last week my wife had to go to a training class for work and it was mandatory valet parking at the location. Well, she tells me it was a very tight lot so she followed my lead and tipped the guy to park it up front which he did. I just smiled and kept the comments to myself.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Yes, and in the Canadian-spec cars, it's even worse. You guys at least get pre sense city standard; in Canada it's only in the Technik with the ADAP package (which my car has but this one does not).

This car, in terms of safety features, has... airbags, stability control, rear view camera, parking sensors front and back, and... umm... what else? no adaptive cruise, no blind spot monitoring, no lane departure warning or active lane assist, none of the camera-based pre sense features. Not sure about high beam assist - in the city one never uses high beams anyways. Honestly, when you consider this car MSRPs for around $49.5K CAD, it's.. hard to swallow when a fully loaded Elantra would have most of that stuff.
This x100000000, like I get this is German car and we need to pay for all the nice toys but these are like standard safety features I think even Benz and possibly even BMW have?
I thought for MY19 they would at least make Pre-Sense City standard but nope, this is Canada we don't get the good stuff
Even the new Q3 doesn't have it as this will be the newest Audi yet here

Quick Reply: I miss my car... (two days with a Progressiv)