A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Icon of a green foot under MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
My experience over the last 10 years with Audi NAV tells me that it only sometimes knows what the speed limit is. I am more than rarely in a situation where I see a 45 mph sign at road side while the NAV display shows 55 mph. I lease my cars so they are never older than 3 years and the last one was turned in 3 months early, yet from day one on that car the NAV frequently showed speed limits differing from what they were in the real world. I am talking major and sort of major roads, not 2-lane blacktops in the boonies.
And my experience is the opposite. I haven’t activated speed sign recognition in my A4 but the speed limit in the nav changes according to the speed limit on the road. I can pass a speed limit sign and in less than a second, the speed limit on the nav changes too. And it has always shown me the exact speed limit as per the signs, on the highway and in the city.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

And my experience is the opposite. I haven’t activated speed sign recognition in my A4 but the speed limit in the nav changes according to the speed limit on the road. I can pass a speed limit sign and in less than a second, the speed limit on the nav changes too. And it has always shown me the exact speed limit as per the signs, on the highway and in the city.
When the NAV and real world speed limits are in sync (at least 90% of the time) the changes are quick, as you say. My issue is primarily that where I live there are several towns and villages that impose lower limits (usually 40 or 45 mph vs. the state limit of 55 mph) for only a half mile to maybe 2 miles. In these situations the NAV frequently does not pick up the brief changes. On the interstate and other more major roads that do not have these frequent ups and downs in limit, the NAV does reflect the posted limits quite well. My concern is that the police may well be hiding in just the kind of situation where the Audi NAV isn't 100%. Mine is not really a complaint, more of an observation. I am very old (and old school) and depend on eyes, etc. for most of the things I encounter while driving. At 76 my eyes are still pretty good; two years ago the corrective lens restriction that had been on my license since I began driving at 18 was lifted based on the latest vision test - luckily!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
When the NAV and real world speed limits are in sync (at least 90% of the time) the changes are quick, as you say. My issue is primarily that where I live there are several towns and villages that impose lower limits (usually 40 or 45 mph vs. the state limit of 55 mph) for only a half mile to maybe 2 miles. In these situations the NAV frequently does not pick up the brief changes. On the interstate and other more major roads that do not have these frequent ups and downs in limit, the NAV does reflect the posted limits quite well. My concern is that the police may well be hiding in just the kind of situation where the Audi NAV isn't 100%. Mine is not really a complaint, more of an observation. I am very old (and old school) and depend on eyes, etc. for most of the things I encounter while driving. At 76 my eyes are still pretty good; two years ago the corrective lens restriction that had been on my license since I began driving at 18 was lifted based on the latest vision test - luckily!
Ah gotcha. I understand what you’re saying. Luckily where I live, looks like the nav has it all worked out. I’ve never had nav mess up speed limit in any of the Audis I own currently. And I’m thankful because sometimes I might miss it but I always check the nav speed limit often.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

one word: Waze
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by katzjamr
one word: Waze
Or three words for the old school - "alert keen eyes" lol

Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, efficiency assist only triggers when I'm using the NAV. At least on the roads on which I drive, it doesn't seem smart enough to trigger without knowing my exact route.

It also seems independent of my current speed; if there's a sharp turn or decline ahead it will light up, whether I am speeding or already quite slow.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine comes on without being in Nav mode (it always knows what road you're on, the direction of travel, and upcoming conditions like turns), but it's only informational unless you also have ACC enabled. If ACC is enabled, it'll actually slow down and speed up for you. The only problem is that sometimes it wants to go really, really slow around turns.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My little green foot appears while not navigating too. I do the same route often and it always appears at the very same spots of the route over and over.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I ignore it. I don't need this kind of assistance. When and if I do I'll turn in my keys.

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the 2017 model year, we had tango red metallic. I think I've seen just one or two Tango red A4s, but this red is much brighter than matador. What I would have loved to see was an Ara blue a4, like what was shown in the official release videos.
This one is custom ordered

Quick Reply: Icon of a green foot under MPH?