A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

If buying wheel insurance, be careful on which plan you buy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If buying wheel insurance, be careful on which plan you buy!

I live in DC area and, the other day on my commute from Nova to Maryland I hit a pothole crater. I can usually avoid potholes on that road (GW Parkway), but it was dark and wet, so a little hard to see where to swerve. As soon as I hit it I knew I was in trouble. I was in traffic most of the way home, but even in the 15-20mph range there was a wobbling I felt. When the traffic cleared out, I accelerated to 50+mph, and I was no longer able to control the car, so I slowed down and drove straight to my Audi dealer.

Both left wheels (19" cavos) were severely bent (they showed me the video, and I was like "wow"). They said they might be able to repair them (for $200 each), but the front one most definitely would need to be replaced (maybe $800 all in). The tires were fine, surprisingly. (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+)

The whole thing was obviously a major inconvenience, but I was feeling pretty good about having purchased Audi Pure Protection multi-cover silver protection plan ($1,610) for this exact reason. Much to my surprise I was informed the next day that the claim was denied because the wheels did not meet the fine print's definition of damaged. They define damage as "condition that prevents the wheel from maintaining the manufacturer’s air pressure specifications." The fact that the car was undriveable, or if it was driven, the tire most certainly would lose pressure, either slowly or spontaneously, didn't seem to matter.

I learned from the dealer that Audi sells multiple different protection plans (all backed by different 3rd party providers), and that most (if not all) of the others would have covered this. The service advisor was shocked too. So, while I cannot tell you which plans cover wheels that are catastrophically damaged from road conditions, I can tell you to be warned with the Pure Protection plan administered by Safe-Guard Warranty Corp.

At the end of the day shame on me for not reading the fine print. Although even if I had I don't know if I ever would have picked up on this exclusion. It seems it would be like buying a homeowners insurance policy where in the fine print it says "fire not covered." Just something one might not even think to look for. I guess I'll file a claim with Virginia and see if I can get anything from them, as I've heard that some states payout claims for damages due to unrepaired potholes. I'm also going to see if I can swap out my wheel insurance for another plan that actually insures the wheels.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m here in NOVA myself and I am reading this literally after stepping in the door after dodging some moon craters coming home myself.

I’m so sorry this happened and thanks for posting this valuable information. I hope you get it all straightened out with as little pain and money as possible.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that a seriously shady wheel policy. It pretty much covers nothing except a cracked or broken apart wheel.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sub'd
Old 04-28-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd say excuse me a second and go get a ball peen hammer and give each one a good smack and say "there see they are leaking", or drive right back to your newly found crater and do it up right and have Audi tow it back on their dime.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JRuby2004
Audi Pure Protection multi-cover silver protection plan ($1,610) for this exact reason. Much to my surprise I was informed the next day that the claim was denied because the wheels did not meet the fine print's definition of damaged. They define damage as "condition that prevents the wheel from maintaining the manufacturer’s air pressure specifications." The fact that the car was undriveable, or if it was driven, the tire most certainly would lose pressure, either slowly or spontaneously, didn't seem to matter.
How did they determine the wheel wasn't leaking pressure? I mean it definitely sounds like it would. Did they test it? Did you try to speak to someone logical? I would try to be calm and sit down with a manager and really get them to understand (not listen) to your point of view. Show them the damage, explain to them it's not driveable, and anyone that would attempt to drive it would most likely come to the same conclusion. If you're nice to the guy, I guarantee he will find a way to fix your car, especially if you've bought the protection plan. My mom's car, they changed her Q5 pistons due to the oil burning, 9 years after (past the 8 year threshold) and at 157K km (limit Audi covered was 130K). It took some convincing but killing them kindness and patience ended up saving her big bucks.

If not, you can just be like... so let me understand. IF the tires were losing pressure, per this fine print, this damage would be completely covered? And then proceed to below - plus it would be quite fun.

Originally Posted by dbias
I'd say excuse me a second and go get a ball peen hammer and give each one a good smack and say "there see they are leaking", or drive right back to your newly found crater and do it up right and have Audi tow it back on their dime.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear what happened to your wheels, and that on top it, what happened wasn't covered.

And thank you very much for this warning for all of us.

This is why all this type of literature - warranties, customer agreements, etc. - should be available upon request to anyone who wants them - BEFORE you buy the car or the protection. And I mean the whole agreement, not a glossy brochure - so you can read it from HOME, not while you're looking to make a decision on the spot. No matter what it's never the same and you're more likely to miss things (even though I do understand what you're saying that in this case, it would have been difficult to see / predict how that fine print would apply.)

I would do as what munsabin suggests. Be persistent yet pleasant and don't give up. And maybe go higher up the chain.