A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Tint questions

Old 03-30-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Tint questions

Sorry for the cross post, just want to get these questions in front of the larger A4 audience. Going in for tint this afternoon on my B9 S4 and have a few quick questions. Hoping someone sees this!
  1. I'm planning to get either Suntek CXP or Suntek CIR, either 40% or 50% -- making my final decision at the shop. Does anyone have experience with the Suntek films? Like it, hate it, recommend something else? Primary interest is heat rejection and secondary interest is a subtle tint for a classy look without hueing blue (which I'm told Crystalline does).
  2. Installation question. I spent an hour in the garage cleaning all my windows (inside and out) with Invisible Glass and a quality microfiber to get them streak-free for tint today. I believe I did a really good job, but I did notice that my microfiber shed some some fibers onto the rear glass: I'm guessing the defroster lines pulled them off. They are apparent enough to be visible as slight sparkles in my rear view mirror as I drove into work today (it was sunny out). My question: is it reasonable that the tint installer will take care to get these off the glass / prepare the surface before tinting it -- or am I going to need to spend some more time on this myself and come back next week to have them tint the rear glass if I want this done perfectly? The installer is highly regarded locally so I trust the work will be quality, but I don't know what is typical to expect in this industry: do they take great pains to prep the glass, or do they just slap film on expecting the customer will have prepped the surface or paid a detailer before swinging by?
Thanks much for any replies!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Following, I got a quote for $159 for the CXP and $400 for the CIR. Been doing some research and the general concecons is the CIR is much better as far as heat blocking goes. But that big price jump is tough.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any good tint show should will do their own cleaning of the windows before installing the tint, especially because a lot of places are offering lifetime warranties now. It's always in their best interest to because if they don't clean windows properly, even small dust particles will create bubbling and the tint will eventually start to peel away from the windows (depending on the quality of the actual film that is too).
Old 04-01-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CXP is an inexpensive, basic tint. I upgraded to ceramic to do it "right" and enjoy the additional heat rejection. I went with Llumar. It is well worth the extra money...come on...you bought an Audi...not a Hyundai.

As was said above, cleaning your windows is futile...they will only do it again and scrape with a blade to prep the glass anyway so save yourself any headaches. Suntek and Llumar are great high quality films.

Last edited by securityguy; 04-01-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by securityguy
CXP is an inexpensive, basic tint.
Suntek and Llumar are great high quality films.
Well, which is it? Inexpensive/basic, or quality?
CXP is the second highest end film that Suntek makes (after CIR which is newer). My installer offered both, but I did not go with CIR after learning it tends to hue a little green whereas CXP is a consistent dark grey. CXP comes with a lifetime warranty.

Anyway, I had 35% CXP put on the other day and it looks great. The installer did an incredibly good job, it looks factory and is 100% bubble free everywhere even though it hasn't finished curing yet. The heat rejection is very apparent, and my girlfriend today commented how much heat seems to be coming through the windshield (untinted) vs the sides, and that's after initially giving me a small amount of crap earlier this week for wanting to tint on the basis of heat rejection at all. (She now understands.)

I'll post pics in a few days when it's done curing.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 04-02-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think we stress too much over this. I decided to just trust my installer and just told him to put in what he thought I should have and it is great. I read and researched it and like all this stuff, everyone had an opinion and everyone’s was different from everyone else’s.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy
I think we stress too much over this. I decided to just trust my installer and just told him to put in what he thought I should have and it is great. I read and researched it and like all this stuff, everyone had an opinion and everyone’s was different from everyone else’s.
You are probably right. Especially with the lifetime warranty they offer for ceramic. I found a local place to me that will do Suntek CIR for $300 on my A7. It's a promotional deal they said they will carry over.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Well, which is it? Inexpensive/basic, or quality?
You are misreading my intention of my reply. Both manufacturers are very good and manufacture high quality materials. However, you clearly understand that every manufacturer makes different grades of material too.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are misreading my intention of my reply. Both manufacturers are very good and manufacture high quality materials. However, you clearly understand that every manufacturer makes different grades of material too.
You have me confused. Read your post: at the beginning of it you said, quote, "CXP is an inexpensive, basic tint" (despite it being in the top 2 of 8 or so total films Suntek makes) and related it to a product one might apply to a budget car like a Hyundai, but at the end of your post you praised Suntek, saying (quote) "Suntek and Llumar are great high quality films."

So which is it...do you think:

CXP [the second highest end film Suntek manufactures] is an inexpensive, basic tint ... [befitting of] ... a Hyundai
...or do you think:

Suntek and Llumar are great high quality films.
​​​​​​
...? Your post contains two ideas/opinions that seem to directly compete with eachother, especially given that I chose what was, up until a year or three ago when they launched CIR, the highest end film Suntek makes.

I'm very happy with what I went with, but if you truly believe it is a "basic, inexpensive product" I would rather understand why you feel this way and what you'd recommend instead. If there is a fundamental flaw you're aware of maybe I'll go have my tint guy redo it before it's cured and stuck to my windows "forever." On the other hand, if you simply misspoke when you said "CXP is a basic, inexpensive film / come on you bought an Audi not a Hyundai," that's okay.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 04-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

mpldsbrian...you are looking into what I said waaaaaay too deep my friend. Just buy what you like and let's move on. Sorry I commented on your thread. I'm done replying as I truly don't have time to write books explaining what I thought was very clear.

Enjoy your car...your tint has a lifetime warranty...enjoy your tint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tint questions