A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

iOS 11.2 breaks CarPlay on 2017 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
Looks like the answer is a definite "yes". Discussion is in the "Apple CarPlay Problems" thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...blems-2915342/
Yep - same thing with me, I have tried it on an iPhone X and an iPhone 6S running iOS 11.2 and as soon as the drive assist sensors kick in, the Carplay goes off and I can't get back into it until I unplug/replug. I am trying with genuine apple cables.

I have booked in with Audi next week to see if they can fix it. My firmware version is 0875.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 PM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Works splendidly for me. Audi Cable and AmazonBasics cable.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, does anyone know if the A4 enables wireless connectivity to carplay? I have only been accessing it via cable and was wondering if with IOS11, i can get rid of the cable or not, it would be nice to get into the car and with bluetooth get the connectivity without having to take out the phone and connect with a physical cable.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audiphile76
Guys, does anyone know if the A4 enables wireless connectivity to carplay? I have only been accessing it via cable and was wondering if with IOS11, i can get rid of the cable or not, it would be nice to get into the car and with bluetooth get the connectivity without having to take out the phone and connect with a physical cable.
No. Wireless Carplay is only now coming out in a few cars (BMW I believe) and a few 3rd party head units.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just noticed problems last night in my '18 SQ5 Prestige running iOS 11.2 with the Audi provided cable.
  • In any audio app, the "play" function in the CarPlay interface does not work. pressing "play" on the iPhone and I hear the audio.
  • Once the parking sensors are triggered (using reverse, etc), I am no longer able to access the CarPlay interface without disconnecting/reconnecting the phone.

Last edited by gumbee; 12-14-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-14-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nostromo
It's working for me on iphoneX. but it's very glitchy. If my pre-sense goes off (which it likes to beep at me in heavy traffic), I can no longer get to the carplay screen. I have to unplug, wait, and plug the phone back in
I have the exact same problem with my 2017 A4 running IOS 11.2 on iPhone X. I get kicked out of car play when the assist sensors kick in... then only way back into CarPlay is to disconnect the cord and plug in again... very annoying... has anyone figured out a work around or fix yet? I'm interested in knowing... seems like an Apple Problem more than Audi. Any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clarkscc
seems like an Apple Problem more than Audi. Any suggestions?
I agree that it seems to be a bug with iOS 11.2, since the problem (at least for me) started after the update. However, it is possible that Apple introduced new functionality that might require an update to the MMI. I started looking around last night on how to do MMI updates. But, I wasn't able to find anything recent or relevant. On many of my previous cars, I had the ability to perform system updates to the infotainment system. Anyone know if/how we can do our own MMI updates?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been told today by my Audi dealer that there is no firmware update for my chassis and I have to live with it - he said to keep ringing back every month or so to see if new firmware becomes available.

Not very happy - only had this car (from brand new) 5 months.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by markymids
I have been told today by my Audi dealer that there is no firmware update for my chassis and I have to live with it - he said to keep ringing back every month or so to see if new firmware becomes available.

Not very happy - only had this car (from brand new) 5 months.
Just to let you know, my 2018 with Rev 1118 firmware and my iPhone 6S do not have this problem. Every day I plug in my phone, car play starts up playing either an audiobook or music. I back out of the garage and it keeps playing. I then drive to work and back into my parking space, again CarPlay keeps playing. It continues to play when I shut off the car and will continue to play until I open the door when I get the voice warning "Your cell phone is still in the vehicle". I would push to get the 1118 MMI firmware update.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Just to let you know, my 2018 with Rev 1118 firmware and my iPhone 6S do not have this problem. Every day I plug in my phone, car play starts up playing either an audiobook or music. I back out of the garage and it keeps playing. I then drive to work and back into my parking space, again CarPlay keeps playing. It continues to play when I shut off the car and will continue to play until I open the door when I get the voice warning "Your cell phone is still in the vehicle". I would push to get the 1118 MMI firmware update.
Thanks - I've sent another email asking again why I can't have a firmware update, it may be that firmware is only available for US? (I am in the UK) - also my car is the A3, not the A4.

I took a video of the problem to assist Apple, you can view it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hf5y8hj1l...blems.MOV?dl=0

Quick Reply: iOS 11.2 breaks CarPlay on 2017 A4?