A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

iPod nano

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod nano

My 4th gen Nano will not show up in the MMI screens when connected with a standard USB-to-iPod cable. It flashes briefly on MMI, then goes back to dimmed. Is the device incompatible, do I have to buy the Audi cable for $54, or what? (2017 A4)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm using a 4th gen Nano in my A4 as well and no problems with a $5 amazon cable.

Is your software up to date? Did you try to use a different cable than one that came w/ the car (if that's the case)? Did you both USB's.

What about your ipod - how good is your battery? Is it fully charged when you plug it in? Do you leave your ipod in very cold places? I left my old ipod in my mom's car over the winter and she'd park outside. One winter is all it took for it to go bust.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
I'm using a 4th gen Nano in my A4 as well and no problems with a $5 amazon cable.

Is your software up to date? Did you try to use a different cable than one that came w/ the car (if that's the case)? Did you both USB's.

What about your ipod - how good is your battery? Is it fully charged when you plug it in? Do you leave your ipod in very cold places? I left my old ipod in my mom's car over the winter and she'd park outside. One winter is all it took for it to go bust.
Well, brand new car with an iPod that worked fine in my old BMW. Yes, I tried both USBs. Perhaps I'll take it back to the dealer and try to ask them.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

MO, bbefore you use time up to go to the dealership, try another ipod. Rule out that it's the device, and the issue is related w/ the car.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I use an iPod Mini and it works great... album art and everything.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

My classic iPod didn't work w/ usb cable. Discovered my car has Jukebox! Loaded music to sD card > Jukebox. Everything's great.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My classic IPod 160G works well with a 3rd party cable. The only problem is that the display will flicker in the "shuffle mode". I found that if I advance the songs using a few spins on the MMI wheel and get it to backload the album art, it stops flickering. Advance it out about 30 songs. It appears it tries to load the album art/songs in the Queue and it causes the display to flicker about every 45 seconds while loading. Making it play shuffled songs way ahead of the loading allows it to not flicker. If you pick a small playlist or just an album, it works fantastic.

I have not used the Jukebox function. I have too much music on my IPod. Maybe it will hold a few hundred songs in a "playlist"... that would be cool? Anyone else have the flickering issue? I could not find any threads discussing it. The IPod Classic is an antique now but it's still the largest capacity MP3 box. I have to program it on my older 32 bit machine! I have over 300G of 320 bit MP3's. Memory capacity is huge and cheap now, I wish Apple would come out with a larger device!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a new Q7 2017 and a brand new IPOD nano, I can not get the nano or an older IPOD classic to work on the MMI. I have both the apple Audi cable and the cable that came with the IPOD, nothing. Nothing shows up on the MMI as an option to use the IPOD. Please advise
Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default iPod Nano wont work in Q7

I had a premium plus q7 and just switched over to prestige. I have the same issue. It's the latest gen nano and it worked on premium plus and not working on prestige. Took it to the dealership and they kept the car for two weeks and finally said that the newer version of MMI is not compatible with ipod. Need to wait for a new software release before that issue can be fixed. That's very bad considering that it's a very expensive car and such issues needs to be addressed before they release the new patch.
Btw. You can't downgrade the software either. So I have no option but to wait.