A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

JB1 on a Manual A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JB1 on a Manual A4 Quattro

Hello all!
New member here. Just wanted to shed light on my current situation. I bought my new 2018 A4 Premium a few days ago and driven about 300 miles. Now I want to slap on my JB1 module. Two questions-

1. Who on this forum can give a brief review on either JB1 or JB4 on their manual A4, given that the gearing is different?
2. How long did you wait until you tuned your car?
3. Any comment on any clutch slippage or clutch feel with the added power?

Background:
I came from a mk7 APR stage 2 with a dsg tune and a few other bolt-on goodies.
I can't seem to join the A4 B9 group on Facebook...
Old 09-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinman Chung
Hello all!
New member here. Just wanted to shed light on my current situation. I bought my new 2018 A4 Premium a few days ago and driven about 300 miles. Now I want to slap on my JB1 module. Two questions-

1. Who on this forum can give a brief review on either JB1 or JB4 on their manual A4, given that the gearing is different?
2. How long did you wait until you tuned your car?
3. Any comment on any clutch slippage or clutch feel with the added power?

Background:
I came from a mk7 APR stage 2 with a dsg tune and a few other bolt-on goodies.
I can't seem to join the A4 B9 group on Facebook...
Not sure if you going to get a review so soon with a manual owner. On the JB1 you can use the map it ships with and we have set the torque target with clutch cars in mind. At the first sign of slip if it occurs we can move you over to map 6 and dial the torque down further.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

George, how does your JB1 compare to the Neuspeed Power Module? From what I can tell, the Neuspeed is most effective at higher than 3,000 RPMs, but is barely noticeable at lower revs. I don't think I'm car-capable enough (or have enough courage) to install a JB4, but would be curious if the JB1 gets more output at lower RPMs. One thing I've noticed in my driving is that I don't have the opportunity to go over 3,000 RPM's very much given the excessive traffic where I live.

The Neuspeed has only two maps, one for 91 octane and one for 100 octane, so effectively there is only one setting since nobody can find 100 octane anywhere. It also plugs into only two sensors, which I believe is the same as the JB1.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in JB1 as well. I have got a manual 2017. I dont think i can do JB4 install own my own. I will keep an eye on this thread for more reviews/comments.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
George, how does your JB1 compare to the Neuspeed Power Module? From what I can tell, the Neuspeed is most effective at higher than 3,000 RPMs, but is barely noticeable at lower revs. I don't think I'm car-capable enough (or have enough courage) to install a JB4, but would be curious if the JB1 gets more output at lower RPMs. One thing I've noticed in my driving is that I don't have the opportunity to go over 3,000 RPM's very much given the excessive traffic where I live.

The Neuspeed has only two maps, one for 91 octane and one for 100 octane, so effectively there is only one setting since nobody can find 100 octane anywhere. It also plugs into only two sensors, which I believe is the same as the JB1.
The Neuspeed Module is quite different to the JB1 unit. It cannot see rpm which means a boost profile cannot be created and it does nothing for fueling. It lets the ECU correct for fuel by seeing a lean condition at the O2 sensor which in turn corrects for fuel. I am not sure if there is a timer delay for when it adds its boost but it could be adding that as soon as it sees boost or even at all times giving the car a negative barometric reading at idle. You might be feeling the lag low down because of this or you may also be expecting to much at such a low rpm vs the turbos ability to build up boost.
The JB1 connects to the same to sensor but has another plug for fueling and rpm. With the fueling the JB1 raises the rail pressure of the car matching the unmeasured boost going into the engine which means it does not require the ECU to do any correcting or minimal. This makes for a much smoother power delivery.