A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just bit somebody's tail

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
To the OP, sorry to hear about your accident. It really does stink, but at least no one was hurt and all is repairable.
To wdimagineer - agree 100% BUT I can understand VIPinLJ's comments and surprise - with all the tech, cameras and sensors and such not miss the car in front. Again, agreeing with you - Driver Assistance, not Driver Replacement, but still surprised nothing helped out, or maybe the car in front had to be moving, not stopped?
Volvo famously had a video demonstration of their City Safe technology fail in spectacular fashion. The system was confused by surrounding objects and the car crashed into another car.

As an engineer who has helped build these very systems, it isn't feasible to detect every possible scenario with the hardware presently installed. That's why it's described as an aid, and not a replacement. I never like to see incidents where the tech failed, but it does happen.

I am glad the OP is safe.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Volvo famously had a video demonstration of their City Safe technology fail in spectacular fashion. The system was confused by surrounding objects and the car crashed into another car.

As an engineer who has helped build these very systems, it isn't feasible to detect every possible scenario with the hardware presently installed. That's why it's described as an aid, and not a replacement. I never like to see incidents where the tech failed, but it does happen.

I am glad the OP is safe.
I think this is the video being referenced above:
Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Close! This one:
https://youtu.be/aNi17YLnZpg
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Thanks! I haven't see this one before. At least they tested against an object ....
Old 04-24-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Thanks! I haven't see this one before. At least they tested against an object ....
We had memes all over the office when this happened. The best part is the announcer at the end. Classically Swedish.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A year ago Tesla ended their relationship with Mobileye after a fatal Autopilot crash that involved glare off the side of a large cargo truck. The Tesla used the EyeQ3 vision processor.

Heres a quote from a Business Insider article: "Mobileye stated its then-current EyeQ3 was not designed to detect vehicles coming from the side, that it only looked ahead. Tesla at the time said it used other components than just the Mobileye system."

The EyeQ4 chip is in development and will be in cars in 2018.

The EyeQ5 will be in cars in 2020. Here's a quote from Mobileye about it: M"obileye (MBLY) and STMicroelectronics (STM) announced that the two companies are co-developing the next generation of Mobileye's system-on-chip, the EyeQ5, to act as the central computer performing sensor fusion for fully autonomous driving vehicles starting in 2020. The EyeQ5 will be designed in advanced 10nm or below FinFET"

So these chips are advancing quickly. But it's slower than we have been used to in cell phones.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeffj2h
A year ago Tesla ended their relationship with Mobileye after a fatal Autopilot crash that involved glare off the side of a large cargo truck. The Tesla used the EyeQ3 vision processor.

Heres a quote from a Business Insider article: "Mobileye stated its then-current EyeQ3 was not designed to detect vehicles coming from the side, that it only looked ahead. Tesla at the time said it used other components than just the Mobileye system."

The EyeQ4 chip is in development and will be in cars in 2018.

The EyeQ5 will be in cars in 2020. Here's a quote from Mobileye about it: M"obileye (MBLY) and STMicroelectronics (STM) announced that the two companies are co-developing the next generation of Mobileye's system-on-chip, the EyeQ5, to act as the central computer performing sensor fusion for fully autonomous driving vehicles starting in 2020. The EyeQ5 will be designed in advanced 10nm or below FinFET"

So these chips are advancing quickly. But it's slower than we have been used to in cell phones.
It is fascinating that we will witness the most significant change in transportation technology since the invention and mass production of cars and that's not the electric engine...which is another revolution... self driving vehicles will profoundly change our lifestyle.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

First off, sorry to hear about the situation but glad you are ok and its derivable still. Was the Jeep lifted at all? There are a few situations where my pre-sense on my previous Audi's didnt kick in because the SUV/Trucks bumper in front of me was higher than detectable. That being said, I also believe theres a speed limit as mentioned previously where it will not engage until its met.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
It is fascinating that we will witness the most significant change in transportation technology since the invention and mass production of cars and that's not the electric engine...which is another revolution... self driving vehicles will profoundly change our lifestyle.
I agree with you for sure. BUT, it will be quite some time before enough people get these cars to really make a difference in the number of accidents. It may stop you from hitting a car, but not the other driver from hitting you. Having said that, technology does march on and I'm all for that. I do wonder how self driving cars would affect the "driving experience" many people buy Audi's, MB's, Porsche's, BMW's for.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
First off, sorry to hear about the situation but glad you are ok and its derivable still. Was the Jeep lifted at all? There are a few situations where my pre-sense on my previous Audi's didnt kick in because the SUV/Trucks bumper in front of me was higher than detectable. That being said, I also believe theres a speed limit as mentioned previously where it will not engage until its met.
I don't see the Jeep is lifted. It's a regular 4x4 Laredo.

BTW, I became the joke among my colleagues at work place now. I quickly adopted to the new driver assist system two years ago with my Honda Pilot and then this A4 last year. Was advocating it to everybody whenever we had car talk. Yet, I rear ended somebody. The first reaction from my colleagues/friends was "what, I thought your car will warn you or stop for you?". How ironic.

My previous statement of solar glare blinded my eye is part of the detail. The another part is that I am having sever spring pollen allergy and was having extreme itchy eye that morning. While I had to rub my right eye with one hand and then the solar glare blinded my another eye at slightly right turn.

Anyway, the car is at a reputable body shop and insurance appraiser will look at it today. I will get the estimate soon. The body shop's quick look estimate is at 8k to 10k range of repair. Will take three to four weeks as all parts has to be ordered and not readily available for this new model. Good thing I am not their first B9 A4 customer. They already had two in past year so they already had some experience with this new model.

Quick Reply: Just bit somebody's tail