A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just bit somebody's tail

Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
I don't see the Jeep is lifted. It's a regular 4x4 Laredo.

BTW, I became the joke among my colleagues at work place now. I quickly adopted to the new driver assist system two years ago with my Honda Pilot and then this A4 last year. Was advocating it to everybody whenever we had car talk. Yet, I rear ended somebody. The first reaction from my colleagues/friends was "what, I thought your car will warn you or stop for you?". How ironic.

My previous statement of solar glare blinded my eye is part of the detail. The another part is that I am having sever spring pollen allergy and was having extreme itchy eye that morning. While I had to rub my right eye with one hand and then the solar glare blinded my another eye at slightly right turn.

Anyway, the car is at a reputable body shop and insurance appraiser will look at it today. I will get the estimate soon. The body shop's quick look estimate is at 8k to 10k range of repair. Will take three to four weeks as all parts has to be ordered and not readily available for this new model. Good thing I am not their first B9 A4 customer. They already had two in past year so they already had some experience with this new model.
Wow, 8k-10k repair for a 10 mph rear-ender! That's one of the issues with all that tech on the front - gets real expensive real fast - even when driving real slow.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Wow, 8k-10k repair for a 10 mph rear-ender! That's one of the issues with all that tech on the front - gets real expensive real fast - even when driving real slow.
Perhaps that's why my car insurance doubled when I got the A4. This was with a company (State Farm) I had used for 40 years and never had a serious claim. I said to my agent, "wtf, this thing is loaded with safety and anti-collision features?" He said he doesn't know, that corporate makes the decisions and have decided this one is an expensive one to insure. Perhaps it is indeed because those safety/anti-collision features can't be counted on and when they fail it's very expensive to fix. Fortunately, I found an insurer (Erie Insurance), who insured it for much less.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Perhaps that's why my car insurance doubled when I got the A4. This was with a company (State Farm) I had used for 40 years and never had a serious claim. I said to my agent, "wtf, this thing is loaded with safety and anti-collision features?" He said he doesn't know, that corporate makes the decisions and have decided this one is an expensive one to insure. Perhaps it is indeed because those safety/anti-collision features can't be counted on and when they fail it's very expensive to fix. Fortunately, I found an insurer (Erie Insurance), who insured it for much less.
I steer clear of all the insurance companies that advertise excessively on TV. I'm not paying for their advertising budgets. I have the Hartford Ins company. Half the price of Geico, State Farm, Allstate etc.

http://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/...ers-19033.aspx

Last edited by up-n-coming; 04-26-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What was your other car? As a side note, I was with State Farm for over 30 years and was very well satisfied with their service and my agent was in the next town from me. But on recommendation from my earlier dealer checked out Liberty Mutual. Excellent ratings and they were literally 1/2 the price. I approached my State Farm agent to see what they could do, but they had no answer why they were double the price nor could they discount any further. I hated to leave them and gave them a chance to see if they had wiggle room, but they were not able to do so.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What was your other car? As a side note, I was with State Farm for over 30 years and was very well satisfied with their service and my agent was in the next town from me. But on recommendation from my earlier dealer checked out Liberty Mutual. Excellent ratings and they were literally 1/2 the price. I approached my State Farm agent to see what they could do, but they had no answer why they were double the price nor could they discount any further. I hated to leave them and gave them a chance to see if they had wiggle room, but they were not able to do so.
My other car was a 2005 Acura TL. I had exactly the same experience you did with State Farm when I tried to get insurance for my A4.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My other car was a 2005 Acura TL. I had exactly the same experience you did with State Farm when I tried to get insurance for my A4.
Kevin, I think you have misread what I wrote. I had State Farm for many years and my insurance for my 2017 A4 was in line with my previous car - 2016 Macan. No great jump changing cars. It was that when I checked out Liberty Mutual they were 1/2 the price.of State Farm for my A4.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kevin, I think you have misread what I wrote. I had State Farm for many years and my insurance for my 2017 A4 was in line with my previous car - 2016 Macan. No great jump changing cars. It was that when I checked out Liberty Mutual they were 1/2 the price.of State Farm for my A4.
Actually, it was my comment that was unclear. I was commenting on my experience, like yours, when I talked to my State Farm agent about the insurance cost he said there was nothing he could do. When I told him I was going to have to go elsewhere after forty years, he basically shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh well." Erie insured it for less than half what he quoted.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Best way to get good pricing from State Farm is insure all of your cars, houses, recreational property, etc. with them. I am receiving over 50% discount from the "base price" for insurance on my 2017 Allroad.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Best way to get good pricing from State Farm is insure all of your cars, houses, recreational property, etc. with them. I am receiving over 50% discount from the "base price" for insurance on my 2017 Allroad.
True and that's what we have - 2 cars and house. Discount was applied long ago, but still twice as expensive as Liberty Mutual.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

So the insurance appraisal just came in. It's $16,228. Approaching half the worth of this car. All replacement parts cost $12,090. Basically replacing whole front shell including front bumper, grill, hood, two LED head lamp assemblies plus some other embraces as well as AC condenser. The two LED headlights alone cost $4,200. Very expensive. If previous experience is accurate, there usually a supplemental and will add extra cost. I also learn that my insurance already paid the other party $942.45 for the rear bumper (probably according to their appraisal).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bit somebody's tail